Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Fresh king or fresh halibut? What one do I make tonight?
Nothing better than the first fresh fish of the season. It's been a long winter of frozen fish and game.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to beat fresh Halibut in my opinion.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both! I'd grill them both topped with butter seasoned with lemon juice, garlic and dill.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ll take the salmon.

NRA Patron
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Salmon cooked over charcoal

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a very pale king......color variation in salmon always amazes me. We occasionally get extremely dark red chums (and they tend to be the most attractive to flies in the drying process).

Not a big butt fan. I vote salmon- regardless the color.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I agree, it is really pale, especially for an ocean fish. I've had river hens looks like that, but never a feeder king.

The salmon will defiantly be the first one cooked. King is my favorite salmon, but halibut doesn't even make my top 3 for whitefish.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
New Sagaya have a sale?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
I agree, it is really pale, especially for an ocean fish. I've had river hens looks like that, but never a feeder king.

The salmon will defiantly be the first one cooked. King is my favorite salmon, but halibut doesn't even make my top 3 for whitefish.

I find the lighter ones to be slightly better eating. I think it has to do with what they are eating. Krill eaters are really good.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
New Sagaya have a sale?

While that was funny, Steve actually does catch a lot of fish...

Except when Rick Bin is in the boat!
wink

Might be Rick...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Let's see...

Black cod
Yelloweye
Lingcod
Black rockfish
Rougheye
Shortraker
salmon shark
Pop
Quillback
Copper

Nope, really doesn't stand a chance at top ten... and if you add non-Alaskan it would have trouble getting in the top 100...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No brainer, King salmon. There are many reasons it is call 'King'. Fresh king of the year is a treat.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Calvin, good to know. I'm eagerly awaiting the taste test.

Thanks for the good works Art. One of these years I'm gonna get Rick into a fish. Maybe you're the jinx on the boat and I'll have to find somebody to fill that seat. It's a good think he's a good sport about it though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm surprised!.......I thought everyone but me preferred halibut.

Gotta agree with Art as there are many others I prefer......those black rockfish don't have much meat but I sure like em.

But for those of us up here in the interior, we have to settle for an occasional lake trout.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Gotta agree with Art as there are many others I prefer......those black rockfish don't have much meat but I sure like em.

But for those of us up here in the interior, we have to settle for an occasional lake trout.

Burbot and lake trout are the only "good" freshwater fish IMO. Some others are okay, but none can touch good saltwater fish.

There is no sandwich to compare to a hot pan-fried black rockfish fillet on lettuce, tartar sauce, tomato, and onion. Especially on the torta rolls from Costco. Sprinkle capers on there while you are at it! Dredge the fish in flour and fry it hot in butter...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Calvin, good to know. I'm eagerly awaiting the taste test.

Thanks for the good works Art. One of these years I'm gonna get Rick into a fish. Maybe you're the jinx on the boat and I'll have to find somebody to fill that seat. It's a good think he's a good sport about it though.

Never considered the possibility it could be me... always told Rick he couldn't catch a king in 10th&M with a waist-high stack of C-notes!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is this one light enough?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Burbot and lake trout are the only "good" freshwater fish IMO. Some others are okay, but none can touch good saltwater fish.

There is no sandwich to compare to a hot pan-fried black rockfish fillet on lettuce, tartar sauce, tomato, and onion. Especially on the torta rolls from Costco. Sprinkle capers on there while you are at it! Dredge the fish in flour and fry it hot in butter...

That's almost exactly my lunch twice a week......no Costco rolls.....until they arrive in Fairbanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FishinHank

[Linked Image]

Definitely no Yukon fish; bet it would have spawned within the first 50 miles of freshwater it hit.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by FishinHank

[Linked Image]

Definitely no Yukon fish; bet it would have spawned within the first 50 miles of freshwater it hit.

I thought white kings were upper river spawners... like way up the river...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.