Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Glad you made it home ok. Many didnt. Thats why i hate LBJ.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
First of all thanks for all who served and spent time in SE asia. I left ohio April fools day 1971 for Staging Battalion Camp Pendelton expecting my trip there. Arrived in Okinawa in May and was told this is as far as we were going. Lots of new guys and many of those on their second tour breathed a sigh of relief. There was no plan to win that war.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Rocky

I just found a copy!!! cant wait to read it.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
When we landed at Cam Ron bay at 1:00 in the morning, it was hotter than hell. For the next 13 months and 6 day I spent most of my nights in a communications bunker in the central highlands.

I too read Rocky's books. I went the college route out of high school, then joined the Marines in 1972 after I flunked out. Missed the war by one year. Thanks to both of you, and all the other Vietnam vets here on the fire for your defense of our Constitution and American Exceptionalism.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you gentlemen, and welcome home.

A buddy of mine is fond of saying "we used to hunt commies down and kill them. Now we elect them!"

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We owe you and we know it. We are proud of you. We are grateful.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
We owe you and we know it. We are proud of you. We are grateful.

+ 325 million and me 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys, the best way to buy them is directly from the publisher. I have them at 40% off the print version and you can get the digital versions for about ten bucks for both. Here's the LINK

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Fifty years...I remember my Dad's departure and return (3 Jul 68/69) like it was yesterday. He was so brown and had this big mustache.

Somewhere in my trove of photos is one taken the day I boarded a C130 at Phu Bai for the trip down to Tan Son Nhut and the magic carpet ride home. Sitting on a rail tie in front of the terminal biding my time when the Herc rolled up, parked and began to unload. Young boys, lily white with sweat rings to their belt line in new dark green jungle fatigues, some a bit heavy for the style of weather I was accustomed to. Just about ready to move out when the last two newbies came off with full duffels on their shoulders, good blush on the cheeks and maybe 20# of lard on the waist line they would soon be bidding adieu.

Opposite direction with half full duffels came two of my kind. Skinny as rails, brown as a walnut, fatigues faded and colored by the red water all laundry was done in over there. 1,000 yard stares that didn't even see the quizzical eyes of the new guys as they approached with yard long strides. -click- Classic pic in my opinion, but one that would only be understood by those who made the trip. The newbies came from Earth, but only the spirits know where we had been.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes for sure...Thank you for your service !!!!!

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
When we landed at Cam Ron bay at 1:00 in the morning, it was hotter than hell. For the next 13 months and 6 day I spent most of my nights in a communications bunker in the central highlands.

Thank you for your service.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My Dad was killed there on March 15, 1968.

Larry

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
So sorry to hear that Larry.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
For you, my friend, the first bits of my first book...

Baggy Zero Four

CHAPTER ONE

It was as if the world had farted in his face. The air that came in through the jetliner’s door hit him like garbage gelatin: smothering hot, with overtones of sewage, dead fish, diesel smoke and jet exhaust. It was Cam Rahn Bay, Republic of Vietnam, and First Lieutenant “Rusty” Naille knew his nose would never forget that first olfactory assault as long as he lived. How long that might be was up for grabs.

“Jesus H Christ, what is that?” He asked, staggering back a half step and bumping into the Army sergeant behind him.

“Just ‘Nam, sir,” the sergeant answered laconically. “You won’t get used to it.”

The air in Kabul will tell you in a very persistent way you are in a 3rd world country.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY
My Dad was killed there on March 15, 1968.

Larry

Larry, hope you see many more 3/15s and enjoy the life he missed out on.

Never talked to my dad about Vietnam. He was 21 when your dad passed and I was 6 months old:

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't remember the exact date, but was about this time in '72. Philippine's at Olongapo in transit barracks, then Taiwan where I met the ship. Tonkin Gulf and a beach Det at Dang Nag for a couple of months. Retired and still work for the Government, and still go "camping" Middle East, Barhrain, Dubai, Oman, Yemen, Emirates etc. They have the "smell" but are just such a dichotomy, dirt poor, but anything and everything money could buy. One round about a cop has a donkey cart pulled over, the next round about a Rolls Royce. Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Afghanistan as well, again we're not in Kansas anymore. The place that reminds me the most about The smack off the plane is Djibouti, that is a third world third world country.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you! All of you who were there!

Last edited by 24mileboy; 04/24/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like another lifetime doesn't it ? I remember stepping on the tarmac at Cam Ranh Bay glancing over my shoulder at the Flying Tigers DC-8 we arrived on when Rocky's en trow to "Baggy " hit me like a sledge hammer. ...Welcome home !

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've been watching interviews video recorded for the Veteran's History Project the past couple months on youtube. I've focused on the Vietnam War and have watched first hand veteran accounts from all service branches, all ranks, and nearly all MOS. Each veteran gives their family background, if they enlisted or were drafted and the path they took from there right up to the present. Sometimes it's around 45 minutes, sometimes it takes them 3 hours. All are pretty remarkable, no matter what they did in uniform. To hear it from their perspective, with their emotion, the good, the bad, the similarities, the differences, well, it really gives one a profound respect for those individuals who stopped communism dead in it's tracks.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For some reason I don't reflect much on anniversaries. Now that you brought it up, I made it to Da Nang 50 years back this coming November. An exciting time indeed.

1Minute
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,251
Posts18,486,261
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.