Print Thread
Hop To
D
dimrod Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I just read JB’s article on Cleaning and Breaking-In Barrels. I want to try some DBC. I see that Brownells, Midway, and Amazon list it as discontinued. Is this product still available?

Last edited by dimrod; 04/24/18.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
D
dimrod Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I don’t see the bore coat and alcohol cleaner combination for sale. And they want $45 to ship the bore coating and shield combo to Alaska! Any other sellers? Why did Brownells and Midway drop the product?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by dimrod
I just read JB’s article on Cleaning and Breaking-In Barrels. I want to try some DBC. I see that Brownells, Midway, and Amazon list it as discontinued. Is this product still available?

Give it until morning, both JB and Jordan the Canuck sell the stuff, I'm sure they can get you some.......good luck with it

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't sell it--but if it is discontinued am glad to have a few bottles on hand.

Just checked the Dyna-Tek site and it added Bore Coat to my shopping cart when I clicked on it. No notice of being discontinued.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wonder why the decision to sell alcohol cleaner and treatment separately?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It must be operator error and the fact I've tried it on very old rifles, but it's never worked for me..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
JG,

Selling the alcohol cleaner separately might be to lower the price. After all, it's just a little bottle of rubbing alcohol. Both the Dyna-Tek site and MidwayUSA list the coating for sale at $29.99, and Dyna-Tek also now lists a "sample" size at $19.99. All of which makes me suspect the price of around $45 for the coating/cleaner kit may have been scaring off many potential customers.

Anyway, what's been discontinued is the coating/cleaner kit, NOT the bore-coat itself.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Has anyone used dyna-tek bore coat with hexagonal boron nitride coated bullets and/or treated bore?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
JG,

Selling the alcohol cleaner separately might be to lower the price. After all, it's just a little bottle of rubbing alcohol. Both the Dyna-Tek site and MidwayUSA list the coating for sale at $29.99, and Dyna-Tek also now lists a "sample" size at $19.99. All of which makes me suspect the price of around $45 for the coating/cleaner kit may have been scaring off many potential customers.

Anyway, what's been discontinued is the coating/cleaner kit, NOT the bore-coat itself.

Good deal MD. You're probably right. You sold me on this stuff a few years ago.....I'm a big believer in it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, it's sure worked for me too, even on old rifles with considerable pitting from corrosive primers. Got lousy accuracy with cast bullets from an old Model 1892 Winchester in .25-20, but after DBC'ing the bore it shot them pretty well, with no leading I could see in my bore-scope.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by dimrod

My BIL told me the same thing. I told him to get it direct.

Alcohol is cheap, no reason to sell a little bottle as part of a DB kit. You can get a big can at ACE or about anywhere.

All one needs is the DB itself.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
JG,

Good deal MD. You're probably right. You sold me on this stuff a few years ago.....I'm a big believer in it.

+1

Me, too.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tail_hunter
Has anyone used dyna-tek bore coat with hexagonal boron nitride coated bullets and/or treated bore?

Yes, I have in two different .223 rifles.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by tail_hunter

Yes, I have in two different .223 rifles.

Any benefits/issues vs using independently? Did you shoot bare bullets through the freshly dyna-tek coated barrel to finish the application?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the barrels was a bit rough an tended to copper up with bare bullets. I used some Tubb's fire lapping bullets and Bore Coated it and switched to hBN bullets and the problem was greatly reduced. The other barrel, a Krieger, got the Bore Coat treatment from the get go, so no comparisons available. Both were seasoned with bare bullets. Both are very accurate. Main benefit is I can go longer between cleanings.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by NVhntr
a Krieger, got the Bore Coat treatment from the get go,

+1

I routinely DBC all new barrels, most of mine are premium. I don't worry about break in, just shoot'em.

After a few shoot/clean cycles, they just about don't foul.

And, no brushes, just Wipe Out or similar and it's good to go.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW I had a pistol, a .22TCM, that had functioning issues. After a bit a bit of polishing on the key surfaces, I applied the DBC, and the functioning problems were cured. Don't know how how long it will last, but it might be worthwhile to improve functioning of semi-automatic firearms.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
For that application, I think I'd try another of their products, Gun Shield. It's a good one, too.

DBC is designed to be cured in the barrel by firing a few rounds, the heat does the trick.

I'm not sure how uncured DBC will work, although it may be OK.

Gun Shield protects and also cuts down on friction. Check out this link.

https://shop.dyna-tek.com/product-category/firearm/

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
For that application, I think I'd try another of their products, Gun Shield. It's a good one, too.

DBC is designed to be cured in the barrel by firing a few rounds, the heat does the trick.

I'm not sure how uncured DBC will work, although it may be OK.

Gun Shield protects and also cuts down on friction. Check out this link.

https://shop.dyna-tek.com/product-category/firearm/

DF

The biggest problem with the pistol was extraction - so the coating was getting heat from the cartridge cases, though obviously that wasn't as much as what it would get in a barrel

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,346
Posts18,526,939
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.