Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
If you dive Kona, check out Jack's Dive Locker. Great outfit, with great service. At least they were 10 years ago.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by johnw
Why is there an interstate highway in Hawaii? how many states does it go through?

Good question. I thought they were going to build a bridge to the main land. They probably needed something to spend their Federal Highway funds on. However, the thing needs to be about 3 times as wide as it is now because it's nothing more than a big parking lot. I think it's 3 or 4 lanes wide in each direction right now.

Honolulu has had a population of over a million since the 70s. Even on a rock people want to be able to get around.

You missed the obvious,
By definition, an interstate has to go between two states. Pretty difficult in Hawaii.
If it does not leave a single state, it should be a state highway. Of course then, the rest of the country would not be forced to pay for it, and rightly so.

I 16 in Georgia and I 99 here in Pa are two more examples.

Hawaii residents pay the same federal gas taxes as the rest of us, they are entitled to some of it back.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My inlaws had a vacation home in Kailua Kona. Awesome time with the kids and wife. There is amazing fishing out of harbor by the airport, I forgot the name of. There is also lots of snorkeling and diving around there. I always had the young kids with me so I just snorkeled with them on my back. But everyone talks about the night dives with the manta rays. I never got to do it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm on Molokai, born and raised here. Visitors should keep an open mind on food, for example- we have all kinds of ethnic foods to suit every taste..Yes, we have poi and raw fish (fish bait). There are lots of things to do in Hawaii, depending on your interests. This past May we had an interesting trip to the Big Island (Hawaii Island).Volcano Erupting, Cpt Cook, Kona and Saddle Road. Honolulu is VERY crowded, Maui too. I have been to all the Islands except Niihau (private) and Kahoolawe (lots of unexploded ordnance and restricted). In my younger days I did a lot of hunting here on Molokai, not so much now. I have a small gun repair shop here on Molokai. Feel free to come support the local economy and visit me for the 2 cent tour of my small shop. Molokai has the famous (infamous) Phallic Rock and Mile Long White Sand Beach! Check out you tube for lots of videos on all islands including Molokai. Mel Chung-Gunsmith Shop 2 " E komo mai".(come visit)

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
It is crazy but it seems you have to plan these vacations far in advance now. We want to go to Hawaii the last two weeks of 2018. This is the last state I have to cross off. We will be diving so that is a major consideration where we actually go. Anyone have prior experience of pros and cons?

Yes I know it is expensive so lets just get that out of the way.

Just got back Monday afternoon from a week in Honolulu. Wife's cousin rented a house in Waikiki for a month ($1400), wife and I paid $80 a night to stay. We visited Pearl, takes more than one day if you take your time and hit all of the sites. You need to call ahead for reservations to visit the Arizona. We also visited the Polynesian Culture Center, don't miss a luau there or the evening show. We also visited the North Shore, you have to park a mile plus away from the beach on Saturdays. Plenty of gift stores and food trucks to hit. There is a street marketplace in Waikiki Beach, we parked at the zoo and walked in. No parking available otherwise. Tourist trinkets are cheap at the marketplace. Also visited the Dole plantation, did the walk-in trail at the Manoa Waterfall. One night we did the dinner cruise out of Waikiki Beach, food was good and so were the Mai Tias. Driving wasn't all that bad, we seem to be driving in the opposite direction of the traffic jam. Remember they are on "Hawian Time"... 😄

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just spent two weeks on Molokai in Feb... wish I had known about your shop, I would have stopped in.

Had a great relaxing time, but the rain the last couple days was unreal!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
We visit Kauai every few years. We love the scenery and the local people. We stay at a condo with beach front. The last trip we went to Honolulu for a

few days, mainly to visit Pearl Harbor and swim with the Dolphins at Sea Life Park. There were Pearl Harbor survivors at Pearl Harbor there for

visitors. I won't be going back to Honolulu, too crowded, but Pearl Harbor and Sea Life Park were worth it.

Kauai recently had a flood so I don't think it would be good to visit until it's cleaned up. There was a another flood there several years ago and the

ocean water in some areas stays murky for quite awhile, not good for snorkeling.

The Ultimate Guide Books are good read but not accurate sometimes.

We don't have kids at home so our favorite time to go is September, when kids are in school.

Last edited by midtenn; 04/25/18.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I flew over there to ride aircraft carrier back to San Diego with my son when he was in the navy. It’s pretty over there. Long flight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you rent the snorkel, face mask, and fins, you can swim around seeing the fish.
When I did it, the water washed the sun tan lotion off my back and I got sunburned while swimming.
Note to self: Wear a T shirt while swimming at Hanauma Bay.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Molokai if you want peace, quiet and relaxation. Dive, hunt, fish, watch whales, and ride a mule to Kalaupapa. Oh, and the bakery at midnight.

We rented a condo on the ocean that was cheap. Shopped in town and cooked fish every night. Made some friends with locals and am planning on an axis deer hunt next time.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Originally Posted by johnw
Why is there an interstate highway in Hawaii? how many states does it go through?

Good question. I thought they were going to build a bridge to the main land. They probably needed something to spend their Federal Highway funds on. However, the thing needs to be about 3 times as wide as it is now because it's nothing more than a big parking lot. I think it's 3 or 4 lanes wide in each direction right now.

Honolulu has had a population of over a million since the 70s. Even on a rock people want to be able to get around.
Not according to the census bureau. They say that in '17 Honolulu's population was about 330k and Oahu was a bit under a million. Oahu's population density, however, is terrible, literally 100x that of here in Idaho.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
If I were you I would spend two days in Honolulu just to see Pearl Harbor, It’s worth it. Book a guided tour of the New Jersey, go see the Arizona Memorial, see the Punch Bowl. Then go to one of the better Islands.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've never had any real desire to visit Hawaii, aside from wanting to see Pearl Harbor, and visit the USS Bowfin.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever you do, do not stay in Honolulu or Waikiki.

It's teaming with homeless and homos.

Pearl Harbor would be the only reason I can see to spend any time on Oahu.

The wife and I went there back in '13. A couple days on Oahu and the remainder of the trip on Kauai. Loved that island.

Black Cows Matter!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Kona on the Big Island probably has the best diving since it is furthest south and has the most developed coral. Maui is also pretty good. In Kona I would recommend the Kona Diving Company. We've dived with them a number of times and they run a great operation.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Kona on the Big Island probably has the best diving since it is furthest south and has the most developed coral. Maui is also pretty good. In Kona I would recommend the Kona Diving Company. We've dived with them a number of times and they run a great operation.

Thanks for the heads up. As with life, chit happens so this trip has been pushed back a year. Just more time to research.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
It is crazy but it seems you have to plan these vacations far in advance now. We want to go to Hawaii the last two weeks of 2018. This is the last state I have to cross off. We will be diving so that is a major consideration where we actually go. Anyone have prior experience of pros and cons?

Yes I know it is expensive so lets just get that out of the way.

Have been to Maui about 1/2 dozen times, Oahu once. Went to Maui for Christmas several years ago.

I would not travel during the Christmas and New Years time frame because you'll be ass raped on air fair and hotel rates. They literally double the price, and and every place is crowded. I'd suggest traveling between Thanksgiving and Christmas or the week before Thanksgiving if you're looking for a winter get away. We've been the second week of November and it was a great trip, reasonable prices and no crowds.

Aside from that, I love Maui. Stay at Kaanapali, great beaches for swimming and snorkling and a little bit of wave action that'll keep kids entertained.

[Linked Image]

Plenty of places to visit by driving, the trip to Hana is great but it's a long trip. The Ulupalakua Vineyards is worth a visit to see the history of old Ranch and enjoy the unique pineapple wine. The Haleakala sunrise trip with a bike decent is worth doing, but make sure you bring appropriate clothing for a ski trip as you'll be on top for a bit waiting for the sun to rise and even in the tropics it's cold at 10,000 feet!

Take a dive or snorkel trip to Molokini crater. The snorkel trips are really reasonable for activities on the island, it's one of the most amazing places to dive in the world and something we do every time we go.

[Linked Image]

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I watch the Brady bunch trip to Hawaii to get my Hawaii experience.. I have no real desire to go to Hawaii then again I hate long flights..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Whatever you do, do not stay in Honolulu or Waikiki. It'll take you an hour every time you leave the city and an hour to get back into the city. Interstate 1 is bumper to bumper 24 hour a day.

This. And half the people there speak only Japanese! Maui or big island. I love Kona. The so called Gold Coat is a great place to stay when the whales are there. We were there in February

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 79S
I watch the Brady bunch trip to Hawaii to get my Hawaii experience.

That Tiki doll curse wasn't real, man.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (12344mag, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,420
Posts18,528,297
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.