Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
We've been feeding the birds in our backyard for a couple years now and have always had a good variety but lately it seems some of the "pest" breeds have been dominating the feeder. I like watching all the different breeds and can just put out more food if that would help but wasn't sure if that would solve the problem or if we would need to get rid of the pest birds all together. Anyone have experience with this??

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm at war with brown headed cowbirds at our bird feeders. My cheap chinese air rifle comes in handy, just to scare them away of course.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And that is why they make pellet guns.........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I'm at war with brown headed cowbirds at our bird feeders. My cheap chinese air rifle comes in handy, just to scare them away of course.

Wife counted a few years ago, she shot over 200 out the kitchen window. They have not nearly been as thick the last few years when they do show up. But it costs me as I have to order a brick of Super Colibri for her now and again, and the kitchen window has a fabricated "blind" moved in place when they are thick so we can flip open a shooting port and shoot.

THEN they started landing in the pecan tree em masse... and Carolyn realized we had shotguns. LOL. Then she could get up to 17 in one shot.

Other than them we dont' have much issues, sometimes we go field sparrow killing sprees...

I suspect like anything else, eveything has to be managed...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've backed off a lot on feeding as I caused my own squirrel problem. Now I put some seed out when I'll be in the yard able to watch. The 24 hour dinner is on short hours now.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just bought a Gamo air rifle. Just got it sighted in at 25 yds. That's about the distance from the man cave to the feeder. The squirrels are my problem. It might be time for some real target practice.

The other bird I have a problem with is the damn buzzards schitting on my roof on occasion.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
And that is why they make pellet guns.........

Exactly. It is a Spring hunting opportunity.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The black birds hog our feeders. A couple of years ago we had a really aggressive Mocking Bird that was mean to the other birds. Some times I have to scare them off with 22 shorts.

lightman
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Does changing the type of food help with the variety of birds feeding?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
brown headed cowbirds lay their eggs in other birds nest.They usually hatch first and the "adopted parents" feed the little nig... I mean blackbirds. I guess they are like democrat birds.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The neighbors cat...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rong
Yes, and the design of the feeder. Seems like the feeders that are a tube with holes & perches at the bottom attract less trash than the feeders that spill seeds out into a tray.

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
When I see Blackbirds or Grackles at my feeder I take it down for a few days. However we had a Mockingbird harassing the Cardinals, House and Gold Finches a couple years ago. My pellet gun and some bread bait took care of it. I only feed safflower seed in the tray feeder and I think that helps keep the bullies away. The tube feeder has nyger seed for the Gold Finches. The Gray hawks feed mostly on the Doves.

Last edited by midtenn; 04/26/18.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by rong

Yes. Most of the “trash birds” will pretty much leave safflower seed alone. And like Tyrone said, the tube feeders are much more difficult for the trash birds to use. Plus, selective use of the pellet gun.....

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BeanMan
The neighbors cat...

Hides in the bushes and watches . . .

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was shooting rats and coons every month, until the wife said I was just attracting pests so I could kill them.
She took my bird feeder away.
All I have killed in 2018 are two mice in traps:(

Oi, do I miss the bird feeder!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Common Gackels fly in, in large flocks, and light in a tree first, then swoop down to the feeder. I practice my sniper tactics on them with a BB gun. I use black oil sunflower seeds which are the best of seeds and the worst of seeds.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My wife hung up a Hummingbird feeder outside of the living room window a week ago. I thought it would take longer for them to find it. The first one showed up today.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can keep the junk birds off the good finch food with a birdfeeder like this. My niece got me one for Christmas, I didn't think the goldfinches and house finches would like it - but I was wrong.

I put out sunflower kernels for the finches, they LOVE it. Put out cheap Walmart food for the other birds.

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1OntarioJim, 160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 48 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,336
Posts18,526,767
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.