ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Last edited by ismith; 04/27/18.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Reread that carefully it says G&H styled, or some such. Photo #5 looks like a pretty big crack at the tang to me, but who knows? That and the 24" barrel, thinning blue, price killed it for me.

LOL
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
any price would not get my motor running

ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Reread that carefully it says G&H styled, or some such. Photo #5 looks like a pretty big crack at the tang to me, but who knows? That and the 24" barrel, thinning blue, price killed it for me.

I'll say with fair amount of confidence that this is a G&H stocked rifle. You guys must not like Griffin and Howe rifles eh?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just going on the description.

"Griffen & Howe style wood"

LOL
IC B2

ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just going on the description.

"Griffen & Howe style wood"

Sometimes the descriptions aren't always accurate, or as in this case, misspelled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ismith

I'll say with fair amount of confidence that this is a G&H stocked rifle. You guys must not like Griffin and Howe rifles eh?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but what substantiates your claim. I'm not spoiling for a fight but instead I'm looking for an education.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Having owned a couple of Griffin & Howe rifles and an 1895 Winchester similarly stocked but attributed to R.F. Sedgley I would agree that this rifle is done in the G & H style. However that said the stockwork more closely resembles that on my Sedgley stocked 1895 than the stockwork on my G & H rifles. I am basing this on the quality of the checkering and the general execution of the stockwork, the nose of the comb is really bulbous and the shape of the cheekpiece expecially the dishing out does not look like anything that I have ever seen on a G & H stocked rifle. I think whoever bought the rifle got a nice rifle at a fair price, had it been a G & H I suspect the price realized would have been significantly higher and the seller probably would have had a reserve.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Could never get past the extra holes....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by S99VG

I'm not saying you are wrong, but what substantiates your claim. I'm not spoiling for a fight but instead I'm looking for an education.

Besides the quality and style of the stock work, the blind mounted scope mount base is a very good indicator of being installed at G&H.

IC B3

ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Having owned a couple of Griffin & Howe rifles and an 1895 Winchester similarly stocked but attributed to R.F. Sedgley I would agree that this rifle is done in the G & H style. However that said the stockwork more closely resembles that on my Sedgley stocked 1895 than the stockwork on my G & H rifles. I am basing this on the quality of the checkering and the general execution of the stockwork, the nose of the comb is really bulbous and the shape of the cheekpiece expecially the dishing out does not look like anything that I have ever seen on a G & H stocked rifle. I think whoever bought the rifle got a nice rifle at a fair price, had it been a G & H I suspect the price realized would have been significantly higher and the seller probably would have had a reserve.

Compare it with this one from the same era. https://stevebarnettfineguns.com/griffin-howe-rifles-for-sale/griffin-howe-sporter-243-winchester

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I looked at the G & H on Barnett's website and see similarities, but in addition to the things I previously cited I have never seen sling swivel bases like that except on Sedgley rifles. So at this point the 99 is an interesting vintage custom from a bygone era, it would be nice to be able to see if there are any marks under the buttplate or elsewhere that might yield clues to its origin.

ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I looked at the G & H on Barnett's website and see similarities, but in addition to the things I previously cited I have never seen sling swivel bases like that except on Sedgley rifles. So at this point the 99 is an interesting vintage custom from a bygone era, it would be nice to be able to see if there are any marks under the buttplate or elsewhere that might yield clues to its origin.

Swivel bases......
https://www.gunsamerica.com/919308024/Griffin-Howe-11-358-Norma-Mag-Beautiful.htm
http://www.pendletonfirearms.com/rifles/rgh0101.htm

Last edited by ismith; 04/27/18.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by S99VG

Besides the quality and style of the stock work, the blind mounted scope mount base is a very good indicator of being installed at G&H.

Thanks

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Guess you can't use that style of swivel bases to determine if a rifle is a G & H or not. I had not seen them before but it looks like they were utilized on G & H rifles of that era. Thanks for posting the links.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nobody, including the seller, mentions if it's marked G&H on the barrel. There should be a g&h serial number on the bottom of the barrel that indicate when it left their shop. The fore arm looks g&h, but the butt doesn't. The cheek piece looks "slabby" compared to a g&h treatment. I will say the mount looks like it came from the g&h shop- they always grind and polish so the screws and pins disappear. That's not to say a craftsman smith couldn't have done it too though. You can still send a gun to them to have one of their mounts installed, so the gun may well be the product of a skilled guy who s!nt it in for a mount. If the gun had a g&h number on it you could contact them and get the straight skinny on its history.

Anybody who has ever worked with G&H qd scopemount would ever object to extra holes necessary for installation. This is one instance where extra holes can be a plus. If indeed it's attached in the traditional way- it could be soldered on too.

The seller also doesn'tention if the scope rings are with the gun. They are hand fitted to the base and as such are a team so to speak. You'll take on a thankless task locating a used set and fitting them. Or you could send it in and let G&H fit you a new set, if your name is Daddy Warbucks.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Gary, imho extra holes are never a plus....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Top of the barrel.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Gary, imho extra holes are never a plus....

On a collector's piece, of course. But on a shooter, meh. In this case the gun is so far from original it doesn't matter IMO. (Especially when we're talking about a G&H qd mount that allows for instantaneous choice between scope and aperture sights.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I guess the bottom line is that if there is no proof of this 99 having gone through the G&H shop then, for purposes of value (and perhaps also authenticity), it didn't happen. At least that's how I'd look at it when look at when it came to cracking my wallet open.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1234, 63 invisible), 17,650 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,898
Posts18,538,696
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.