Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Hi,

A question: would the brass structure be affected using sodium bicarbonate to clean and neutralize some very superficial internal greenish patina ...?

Thank you!

PH

HR IC

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What caused the green patina? The reason I ask is if the green patina was caused by something that attracted moisture I would use a drying agent like alcohol.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thank you Dave,

First of all, don't matter the cause (to be attended later), I want to neutralize that patina. The brass I am talking are once fired ones, may be not stored in the right place. Outside are perfect and shiny and not corroded. But inside they have that slight greenish-grayish stuff. I have used some as they are without any trouble. And after the shot, they come clean. The brass are a lot of NORMA and RWS 9,3X62, very good and truly once fired. But stored some time. I don't want to dispose them!!
My concern is to load AND STORE the cartridges without removing that thing.
So, there is another question: could that (I think acid) layer to decompose or degrade the powder?

Thank you again!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'd try Iosso brass cleaner and then a hot tap water soak.

https://iosso.com/clean/products/case-cleaner-case-cleaner-kit/

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Stainless steel pins and a tumbler will make them look brand new.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yep, I tumbled some lever action brass that was stored in a leather ammo carrier and had turned mostly green. Stainless media, lemi and dawn made it look better than any new bagged brass.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Take some vinegar, like a cup, or enough to cover the brass. Add a couple of good shakes of table salt. Soak the brass in there. Stir occasionally, and when the green is gone, rinse thoroughly in running water, like 5 minutes. You should be good to go. That formula was introduced to all by the NRA in about 1958. I used it for years to clean range brass.

Depending on how bad the tarnish is, the brass should be nice and shiny in 2 or 3 hours. The salt slows the chemical process down.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
Thank you Dave,

First of all, don't matter the cause (to be attended later), I want to neutralize that patina. The brass I am talking are once fired ones, may be not stored in the right place. Outside are perfect and shiny and not corroded. But inside they have that slight greenish-grayish stuff. I have used some as they are without any trouble. And after the shot, they come clean. The brass are a lot of NORMA and RWS 9,3X62, very good and truly once fired. But stored some time. I don't want to dispose them!!
My concern is to load AND STORE the cartridges without removing that thing.
So, there is another question: could that (I think acid) layer to decompose or degrade the powder?

Thank you again!

What makes you think the green is an acid layer?

The green on brass or copper is a byproduct of corrosion, just like reddish-brown on steel. Acid could be a cause, but isn't even the most likely cause. Baking soda won't do much to remove corrosion.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thank you all!

I also heard the vinegar treatment. I will do that.

You are right Yondering.

Best!

PH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,782
Posts18,515,759
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.