Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Gone are the days when I had easy access to the sweet oysters of Maryland's Chesapeake Bay but all is not lost as I just discovered a wholesale grocer in my area that will ship them in.

Picking up a quart of nice selects this thursday ,Gonna make up a nice oyster po' boy when they arrive.
Oyster stew , raws and sammies are the extent of my cooking exp. with them so I'd enjoy reading any simple recipes that you may care to share. Oysters rockefeller are to die for but honestly a bit above my pay grade in that sort of prep.

Thanks, OJG.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
we do oysters in the oven when we get them from a jar.put them in a muffin pan. broil until they start to curl,just take a minute or so,add butter garlic and a little fresh parmesan. heat until cheese melts.

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hog Island Oyster Co. in Marshall if your ever on the Northern Left Coast near Tomales Bay here in Kalifornia. It’s our go to spot several times a year for the mollusks.

They have a very scenic picnic area were you can have a bbq right on the spot after purchasing your bucket of bivalves.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Do you chew the raw ones or just swallow them?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s more like two or three bites depending on size. Only because I enjoy the taste of the nectar. I never understood the point of just slurping them straight down the gullet like a pelican especially given the cost per pound of the meat.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yeah, that why I was asking.

I have never had a raw oyster, but I did not understand the idea of swallowing it whole.

I only do that with the first bite of a too hot pizza when I am drunk. You never seem to think maybe you should spit it out.

Swallow it and limit the burning to 2nd degree.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I plead the 5th on drunk eating. Past indiscretions of youth notwithstanding.

"Maybe we're all happy."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't do them cold,once they are heated i'll eat as many as I can hold.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Oysters are a favorite, on the half-shell with lemon and chopped shallots and vinegar, deep fried or oyster stew....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldJeepGuy
Gone are the days when I had easy access to the sweet oysters of Maryland's Chesapeake Bay but all is not lost as I just discovered a wholesale grocer in my area that will ship them in.

Picking up a quart of nice selects this thursday ,Gonna make up a nice oyster po' boy when they arrive.
Oyster stew , raws and sammies are the extent of my cooking exp. with them so I'd enjoy reading any simple recipes that you may care to share. Oysters rockefeller are to die for but honestly a bit above my pay grade in that sort of prep.

Thanks, OJG.

Good find! Raw and fresh on the half shell is my favorite. I love how the oysters from different places taste like the ocean habitat they're from. My favorites are from Matunick Oyster Bar for the east coast and The Oyster bar on the west.

That being said, an oyster Poboy is a wonderful thing especially when half shell isn't available. Remoulade sauce is traditional but I have to think a Romesco sauce might work really well too and has less prep.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Egg dip, fine cracker crumbs, HOT grease, plate, stomach.

Oysters on a PO Boy too but have not found the proper bread in Nashville area ecept on "store bought" PO Boys.

Last edited by LouisB; 04/29/18.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Mmmm..... oysters.

I can drive 20 minutes to an oyster farm and stock up, but they still don’t touch the oysters from my buddies beach on the Hood Canal.

I love a briny, salty oyster.

Ate at least 4 or 5 dozen over the last week. Probably 3 times that many clams.

Life is good.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
If not raw, try charcoal roasted. Crack them and put on hot charcoal fire on half shell. As they get close to done mop them down with a mixture of melted butter, garlic, lemon, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Finish with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Full disclosure; my attempt to copy dragos restaurant in New Orleans. Mine are good. Their’s are great.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I like them over a grill just long enough to spit. They are kinda “half cooked” at that point.

Fanciest I get with toppings is a spot of hot sauce and maybe a squeeze of lime.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love them anyway I can get them, which is pretty rare up here. One local restaurant has them. One of the ways they serve them is "Bienville", which may be a term unique to that restaurant. Bake in a half shell with cheese and a sauce on top. Incredible.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am a fan of oysters myself. I think the freshest ones are always the tastiest ones! When I was in college....well many years ago...I would buy them by the sack and then shuck them into a gallon pickle jar for consumption. One of the benefits of going to LSU back in the day!

Oysters Bienville have been around for a looong time, as have Oysters Rockefeller. I guess I like them all, but probably like them fried the least. On a half shell is easy and hard to beat!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Month with an "R"? April is really pushing it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Month with an "R"? April is really pushing it.

Thinkin' the same thing but come Thursday I'm picking up a quart of selects for the frying pan.

Fingers crossed smirk whistle

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I love 'em all, eat 'em any way I can get them.

The "R" month thing dates way back to when they shipped oysters in barrels on trains. With our modern shipping and refrigeration methods, there is no such restriction.

I'll be in NOLA next week for business and promise I'll eat 2-3 dozen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 204guy, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,022
Posts18,500,450
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.