Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Suggest going to Brownells buying a Howa blued 22-inch, 270 Win barreled action ($400), weight 4.25 lbs. Find and have gunsmith professed in applying Duracoat finish to blued action (epoxy coat first, then Duracoat finish. This is corrosion resistance on steroids and gets better with age ($150). Get the McM Edge about +/- 22 oz. ($500), Acraglass and bed action ($peanuts). Place a Leupold 2.5x8-36mm VXIII (11 oz. at $350)

Total weight w/scope and duracoat about 6.5 lb

Howa action: forged from solid billet of steel, incredible strength and beds wonderfully with large flat front recoil lug for great accuracy, bullet proof M-16 extractor. Set up above will yield match grade accuracy at any hunting distance you can shoot.

Total Cost w/scope: $1,400

Many gun makers have started employing Howa actions as well for their $3,000 custom makes; $5,000 on Sako and Win and other variant actions. Putting the above rifle together will handle and shoot and maybe out handle and out shoot rifles costing $3,000. The effort is not as much as you may think for having a customized firearm. Only another offered choice for you, best of luck.

HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd probably save a few extra dollars and try the Fieldcraft or pick up a used Forbes Rifle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Without a doubt for under 1k, Tikka T3 Superlite....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sako A 7 would be worth looking at

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by FairChaseFood
Originally Posted by JJWise
I like the Remington 700 Mountain SS quite a bit, 6.5lbs and less than $900 real world price. A lot of people reccomended the Tikka to me but I just couldn’t get excited about it.

My problem here is that I owned a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle years ago and I could never get the darned thing to shoot as well as I wanted. Best I could do was 1.5" groups. Certainly enough to hunt with, and I killed a pile of deer with it, but it seems like I should be able to do better than that today.

1.5” makes me happy for hunting uses, but both of my Remington 700s and my Remington Model 7 will do much better than that

IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Suggest going to Brownells buying a Howa blued 22-inch, 270 Win barreled action ($400), weight 4.25 lbs. Find and have gunsmith professed in applying Duracoat finish to blued action (epoxy coat first, then Duracoat finish. This is corrosion resistance on steroids and gets better with age ($150). Get the McM Edge about +/- 22 oz. ($500), Acraglass and bed action ($peanuts). Place a Leupold 2.5x8-36mm VXIII (11 oz. at $350)

Total weight w/scope and duracoat about 6.5 lb

Howa action: forged from solid billet of steel, incredible strength and beds wonderfully with large flat front recoil lug for great accuracy, bullet proof M-16 extractor. Set up above will yield match grade accuracy at any hunting distance you can shoot.

Total Cost w/scope: $1,400

Many gun makers have started employing Howa actions as well for their $3,000 custom makes; $5,000 on Sako and Win and other variant actions. Putting the above rifle together will handle and shoot and maybe out handle and out shoot rifles costing $3,000. The effort is not as much as you may think for having a customized firearm. Only another offered choice for you, best of luck.

Rossimp, good suggestion. And I already have the 2.5-8 VXIII scope, which is exactly what I'd planned on putting on the new rifle, whatever it turns out to be. ;-)

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by FairChaseFood

Szihn, that's a pretty incredible statement about Tikka. I'm assuming you know this for an absolute fact. Wonder how a gun company can stay in business when they refuse to service their firearms. Seems like a really bad business model to me, unless they have such absolute confidence in their product that they think they'll never break. Of course anything can break, and Murphy's Law being what it is, that would definitely degrade my confidence in buying a Tikka.

It’s an incredible claim because it’s not true. Berretta isn’t the easiest to deal with on some things, but getting parts is easy, and they have warrantied every actual gun problem that I know about. The difference being that they don’t have near the problems that others do.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I just bought a left over T3 270 stainless at eurooptic for $499 before tax. That leaves a substantial surplus of cabbage for other amenities. Heck I may have her cerakoted and the bolt fluted just for giggles. Its been a while since I had a T3 done up.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
and they have warrantied every actual gun problem that I know about.

Maybe you aren't aware of the Sako 85 ejection problems so many have run into?

Telling a customer that the rifle works properly as long as he doesn't mount a scope on it, or asking them to mount it 2" high is hardly backing the product.

Lots of guys on this site have interacted with Beretta CS on this issue, only to be told to pound sand.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I heard the Maytag repairman retired and moved to Finland.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Judman
Sako A 7 would be worth looking at

+1 or a T3x superlite and call it done

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Tikka is my recommendation.

Look for threads concerning Tikka problems - you will look very hard to find any. I have owned a half-dozen T-3's throughout the years and the only thing that has been done to them is to back the trigger spring out to get the trigger to 2 lbs, mount a scope on it and go shoot little tiny groups with utter reliability and consistency. I just sold one of my stainless/synthetic 223's to a fellow site member and he is amazed that an out of the box sporter can consistently shoot 5 shot one-half inch groups.

Check out Whittakerguns website, they are easy to deal with and their prices are generally better than Sportsmans or Cabelas. They have them in blued and walnut, stainless and synthetic, walnut and stainless and also have some with laminated stocks, although I would avoid the laminate because it will be heavier than either walnut or synthetic.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well I am a full time gunsmith and I have been for many decades. I stopped taking custom work 1-1/2 years ago because I am getting too old to keep piling on new work, and I need to shorten the back log, but YES I know for a fact 100% that Tikka doesn't service their guns and YES know for a fact they won't sell part. I have done work for a few of the shops in Wyoming including the largest one in the middle of the state,and parts loss or breakage on Tikka's is not as common as on Remingtons, but I can get parts for Remingtons. I have to MAKE parts from Tikkas except for the part that is the biggest problem. THE BOLT You see the bolt handle is dovetailed and press fitted into the bolt body on some of the models. I have seen 4 of them come to my shop where the rear of the dovetail in the bolt (not the bolt handle, the bolt itself) broke away. They break right through the threads and cannot be repaired.

In the last 3 years I have had 4 Tikka's brought to me with this problem. A broken bolt! that renders the gun 100% useless. Tikka would not even consider replacing the rifle, or the bolt. They would not consider selling the customer a new gun at a reduced price. They were so unreasonable they they tried to sell then new rifles at FULL RETAIL and would do NOTHING else.

So....if you think I am wrong, go check it out. Call them and see.

That is the one reason I rank Tikka as the very worst bet for a new rifle purchase. If you never have a problem you are going to be fine, (and you probably will not if we look at the statistics) and the rifles are VERY accurate. But if you do, you will probably just end up throwing the rifle in the trash. If you are stupid (my customers were not) you will let them sell you a new Tikka to replace the old defective Tikka.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Thanks, all! This has been a very helpful discussion. Based on the responses, which I tallied just for reference, the Kimber (Montana/Hunter, which I lump together) and Tikka get the most votes, with the Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed coming in third. Those three were at the top of my list as well. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something I didn't know about. It appears not. Sounds like I can't really go too far wrong with any of them. Kimber and Browning are USA companies, although the Brownings are likely made overseas, not that that radically influences my decision one way or the other. Anyway, I need to go to a gunstore and fondle them some more. ;-)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JJWise
I like the Remington 700 Mountain SS quite a bit, 6.5lbs and less than $900 real world price. A lot of people recommended the Tikka to me but I just couldn’t get excited about it.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

Or buy an original Rem 700 Ti..............they are around, like new, but will cost you a little more than your grand budget.

Or go the "semi-custom" route with an older Rem 700 MR, restock it with an MR Edge fill or a KS pattern stock, cerrokote the metal & you'll have a top shelf rifle that you can take lot of pride in owning............might still exceed your budget by a little though.

Tikka's are stone azz ugly.............but they do shoot.

MM

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There aren't many options if you really want to stay at 6 1/2lbs and $1k. Tikka or A7 gets my vote. Wichester Extreme or a 700 Mountain Rifle are worth checking into for another half a pound or so

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Used Montana gets him there with a pound to spare, but if he wants new and out of box accurate T3x or A7 as you suggested...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Maybe you aren't aware of the Sako 85 ejection problems so many have run into?

Telling a customer that the rifle works properly as long as he doesn't mount a scope on it, or asking them to mount it 2" high is hardly backing the product.

Lots of guys on this site have interacted with Beretta CS on this issue, only to be told to pound sand.

I am aware. However, my post was about Tikka, and while Beretta May handle both, the only instances that I actually know about first hand where there was something wrong with a Tikka- they did their job. Having used the Sako 85, even without the ejection problems I found nothing about them that I prefer over a T3.

Originally Posted by szihn
Well I am a full time gunsmith and I have been for many decades. I stopped taking custom work 1-1/2 years ago because I am getting too old to keep piling on new work, and I need to shorten the back log, but YES I know for a fact 100% that Tikka doesn't service their guns and YES know for a fact they won't sell part. I have done work for a few of the shops in Wyoming including the largest one in the middle of the state,and parts loss or breakage on Tikka's is not as common as on Remingtons, but I can get parts for Remingtons. I have to MAKE parts from Tikkas except for the part that is the biggest problem. THE BOLT You see the bolt handle is dovetailed and press fitted into the bolt body on some of the models. I have seen 4 of them come to my shop where the rear of the dovetail in the bolt (not the bolt handle, the bolt itself) broke away. They break right through the threads and cannot be repaired.

In the last 3 years I have had 4 Tikka's brought to me with this problem. A broken bolt! that renders the gun 100% useless. Tikka would not even consider replacing the rifle, or the bolt. They would not consider selling the customer a new gun at a reduced price. They were so unreasonable they they tried to sell then new rifles at FULL RETAIL and would do NOTHING else.

So....if you think I am wrong, go check it out. Call them and see.

That is the one reason I rank Tikka as the very worst bet for a new rifle purchase. If you never have a problem you are going to be fine, (and you probably will not if we look at the statistics) and the rifles are VERY accurate. But if you do, you will probably just end up throwing the rifle in the trash. If you are stupid (my customers were not) you will let them sell you a new Tikka to replace the old defective Tikka.

Umm... It’s super hard to get a T3 bolt.... especially with them being in stock at Brownells.

As for the broken bolts- what caused it? Because I’ve seen one, and I also saw what caused it. I don’t know that an AI wouldn’t have broke under the same stress.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Another vote for Tikka

No need to spend $200 more for the same stock in camo, go this route

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com...ctDetail/Tikka/prod99999046876/cat131914

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikka T-3 Superlite......

I would not play the Kimber roulette.... unless you're a masochist. LOL

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, Big1bud, 7 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.