Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by FairChaseFood
.......270 Winchester...... with some pride of ownership.....

Those two things are mutually exclusive.....

But..... a .270 X-Bolt.... with that high gloss finish and gold trigger, positively screams Pride (parade) of Ownership....

If you just want a light, accurate, killing machine.... the Tikka wins by a mile.

If you step up to the 270 WSM, You'll not only participate in the parade...You can lead it wearing a pink feathered boa and eye sequins...I can loan you my "Pussy Hat" if buying a WSM will set you back financially.

If you are thinking 270 Win...Why wouldn't you look at the improvements of the 270 WSM over it??? Just straight comparison with Nosler off the shelf box numbers on 140gr NAB's...270 Win has a 2900 FPS at the muzzy...500 yards it's 2032...600 yards it's 1880.

The 270 WSM with same 140 NAB's, has 3100 @ muzzle...500 yards 2200....600 yards 2035... It's a good improvement ballistically over the Win and the WSM is a short action...IMO, of all the WSM offerings, the 270 WSM gained the most compared to others.

It's well known that I recently bought a Nosler M48 Patriot in 270 WSM. I am liking what I've seen from the "Little Squirt" on paper...It's the lightest hunting rifle I've owned and with the 140gr NAB's, I will have no hesitation taking a deer out to 535 yards in the right conditions...

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
HR IC

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just checked in a couple places...these would all meet your criteria(in no particular order)

Sako 85

Mauser

Sauer

Just tossing a few more options out there, not endorsing any of them.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I picked up one of those last Fall, NIB, after a brief misguided fling with an AR that cost me my Vanguard S2. No real loss, because the S2 was an early one with the old slow-twist barrel. The AW shoots 55gr TTSXs just fine. The AW is a bit lighter too, and to my eye seems a bit trimmer.

The Vanguards are nice guns, but the SA is a bit large for a .223. I keep hoping Weatherby will order up some SS Mini Actions with hinged floorplates or blind mags, since Howa won't make them to sell under their logo.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

If you told me that guys had Tikkas in scabbards and horses were rolling on em I’d buy it, but I find it very hard to believe that there isn’t a single thread on this forum or any other about T3 bolts breaking and IME after owning over a dozen of them and another dozen amongst friends that all of a sudden there is phenomenon in Riverton WY where Tikka bolts are breaking with some sort of regularity? C’mon man

[quote] Because people run to the internet whenever something like that happens, ie Remington bolt handles falling off,

****My Kimber is POS and won’t feed or shoot correctly, etc... ****

There are hundreds of Tikkas owned by Campfire members from all over the country that have used them from Alaska to Africa, yet not one person has mentioned a broken bolt, but I am to believe that in Riverton Wyoming (where my wife was born and raised by the way) a town of 10,000 people, there have been multiple broken bolts on Tikkas, just don’t get it.

Kimber Roulette is famous.

Tikka broken bolts.... not nearly as well advertised.

I won’t gamble on the Kimber
My first Tikka T 3 Lite was bought in 2003 - 270 Win
My second Tikka T3x Lite was bought this year - 7 RM

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/03/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Beaver10

But..... a .270 X-Bolt.... with that high gloss finish and gold trigger, positively screams Pride (parade) of Ownership....

If you just want a light, accurate, killing machine.... the Tikka wins by a mile.

If you step up to the 270 WSM, You'll not only participate in the parade...You can lead it wearing a pink feathered boa and eye sequins...I can loan you my "Pussy Hat" if buying a WSM will set you back financially.

If you are thinking 270 Win...Why wouldn't you look at the improvements of the 270 WSM over it??? Just straight comparison with Nosler off the shelf box numbers on 140gr NAB's...270 Win has a 2900 FPS at the muzzy...500 yards it's 2032...600 yards it's 1880.

The 270 WSM with same 140 NAB's, has 3100 @ muzzle...500 yards 2200....600 yards 2035... It's a good improvement ballistically over the Win and the WSM is a short action...IMO, of all the WSM offerings, the 270 WSM gained the most compared to others.

It's well known that I recently bought a Nosler M48 Patriot in 270 WSM. I am liking what I've seen from the "Little Squirt" on paper...It's the lightest hunting rifle I've owned and with the 140gr NAB's, I will have no hesitation taking a deer out to 535 yards in the right conditions...

Well, on paper you're right, of course. However, the advantages of a .270 WSM don't mean that awful much at 400 yards and under, which is where I limit my shots, and I doubt anything I shot at those ranges would know the difference. In all honesty, I like to get much closer than that if at all possible. Plus, I can find .270 Winchester ammo just about anywhere in the world. No, for what I need doing, the .270 Win. will do just fine. But to be purely politically corect, I affirm and celebrate your love for the .270 WSM. You gotta love what you love, man. ;-)

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by szihn
Well I am a full time gunsmith and I have been for many decades. I stopped taking custom work 1-1/2 years ago because I am getting too old to keep piling on new work, and I need to shorten the back log, but YES I know for a fact 100% that Tikka doesn't service their guns and YES know for a fact they won't sell part. I have done work for a few of the shops in Wyoming including the largest one in the middle of the state,and parts loss or breakage on Tikka's is not as common as on Remingtons, but I can get parts for Remingtons. I have to MAKE parts from Tikkas except for the part that is the biggest problem. THE BOLT You see the bolt handle is dovetailed and press fitted into the bolt body on some of the models. I have seen 4 of them come to my shop where the rear of the dovetail in the bolt (not the bolt handle, the bolt itself) broke away. They break right through the threads and cannot be repaired.

In the last 3 years I have had 4 Tikka's brought to me with this problem. A broken bolt! that renders the gun 100% useless. Tikka would not even consider replacing the rifle, or the bolt. They would not consider selling the customer a new gun at a reduced price. They were so unreasonable they they tried to sell then new rifles at FULL RETAIL and would do NOTHING else.

So....if you think I am wrong, go check it out. Call them and see.

That is the one reason I rank Tikka as the very worst bet for a new rifle purchase. If you never have a problem you are going to be fine, (and you probably will not if we look at the statistics) and the rifles are VERY accurate. But if you do, you will probably just end up throwing the rifle in the trash. If you are stupid (my customers were not) you will let them sell you a new Tikka to replace the old defective Tikka.

Well they sent me a new bolt shroud for free so I don’t really care if they “sell” parts or not!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Wesley2

Well they sent me a new bolt shroud for free so I don’t really care if they “sell” parts or not!

Very Nice ! Good to know.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/04/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well I am a full time gunsmith and I have been for many decades. I stopped taking custom work 1-1/2 years ago because I am getting too old to keep piling on new work, and I need to shorten the back log, but YES I know for a fact 100% that Tikka doesn't service their guns and YES know for a fact they won't sell part. I have done work for a few of the shops in Wyoming including the largest one in the middle of the state,and parts loss or breakage on Tikka's is not as common as on Remingtons, but I can get parts for Remingtons. I have to MAKE parts from Tikkas except for the part that is the biggest problem. THE BOLT You see the bolt handle is dovetailed and press fitted into the bolt body on some of the models. I have seen 4 of them come to my shop where the rear of the dovetail in the bolt (not the bolt handle, the bolt itself) broke away. They break right through the threads and cannot be repaired.

In the last 3 years I have had 4 Tikka's brought to me with this problem. A broken bolt! that renders the gun 100% useless. Tikka would not even consider replacing the rifle, or the bolt. They would not consider selling the customer a new gun at a reduced price. They were so unreasonable they they tried to sell then new rifles at FULL RETAIL and would do NOTHING else.

That is the one reason I rank Tikka as the very worst bet for a new rifle purchase. If you never have a problem you are going to be fine, (and you probably will not if we look at the statistics) and the rifles are VERY accurate. But if you do, you will probably just end up throwing the rifle in the trash. If you are stupid (my customers were not) you will let them sell you a new Tikka to replace the old defective Tikka.

A plastic one, or a metal one?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, on paper you're right, of course. However, the advantages of a .270 WSM don't mean that awful much at 400 yards and under, which is where I limit my shots, and I doubt anything I shot at those ranges would know the difference. In all honesty, I like to get much closer than that if at all possible. Plus, I can find .270 Winchester ammo just about anywhere in the world. No, for what I need doing, the .270 Win. will do just fine. But to be purely politically corect, I affirm and celebrate your love for the .270 WSM. You gotta love what you love, man. ;-)

FCFood....I get it... You don’t want my boa and P-Hat 😎 Let us know what you end up with...Best, Mark

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

A plastic one, it was before the metal ones came out. The customer service guy said they only get about one call a year for a broken plastic one. It was actually my dad’s that cracked but he can screw up an anvil with a rubber mallet.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

A plastic one, it was before the metal ones came out. The customer service guy said they only get about one call a year for a broken plastic one. It was actually my dad’s that cracked but he can screw up an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Disassembly and reassembly is why they crack. Just take it easy and make sure everything is aligned right before you reassemble . I used Lumley arms shroud on my T3 and the T3x is made out of some sort of metal.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I use Mountain Tactical stainless shrouds ($69) on My T3x's, they are a nice accessory that looks great.......Hb

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Hi gang! This is my first post here. I'm in the market for a new rifle for deer/elk, both east and west. It'll be a .270 Winchester for sure. I haven't bought a new rifle in years and have a Winchester 70 in .30-06 which I love, but the dang thing weighs nearly 9 pounds scoped. I'm tired of packing all that weight. I want something reliable, all-weather, accurate out of the box, somewhere around 6-6.5 lbs unscoped, and with some pride of ownership. I've considered the new Kimber Hunter, but I know some guys seem to like Tikkas (which I understand are made by Sako). The Ruger American and Savage rifles are reported to be accurate, but they just feel cheap in my hands (which dings the pride of ownership thing). I've got about a $1,000 budget for the rifle alone. I'd love to hear your experiences and recommendations.
Thanks!

Here's a Tikka in stainless with a fluted barrel and the nicest walnut I've ever seen on a Tikka. Comes with Optilock rings, probably weights a little under 7 lbs due to the fluting on the barrel. Non-fluted stainless hunters weight 7. And it's right at the $1K mark.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768672386

I've had several Tikka T3's and all have been shooters. Another possibility apart from what others have suggested would be a Sako A7. They come in right around a grand for stainless.

There's a non-fancy Tikka that is a demo, handled not fired, on Gunbroker, too, for $513. That would leave you funds for a better scope. I like good glass.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/765665179

A Kimber Montana would be a better looking choice by most folks opinions, but accuracy often would not match the Tikka or Sako. It would also be hard to keep the rifle under $1,000.

Best wishes.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F

FCFood....I get it... You don’t want my boa and P-Hat 😎 Let us know what you end up with...Best, Mark

Ha! Not right now, Mark. But I have saved your info in case I need it down the road. ;-)

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Your weight requirement was 6 lbs 8 ounces. I have several winchester featherweights, which would be my choice. They weigh 6 lbs 8 oz to 6 lbs 10 oz. These are the blued wood stocked versions, not the compact, and I find them to be ultra reliable and quite accurate, about 1 inch at 100 yards for four shot groups. They may be more accurate than that but that appears to be my limit not the guns. With a 2x7 leupold scope, talley lightweight rings they weigh about 7 lbs 6 oz. Hope this helps.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by qwk
Its a cheap gun made to meet a price point. Why is it so hard to believe that they may have problems?

AFAIC - (as far as I’m concerned), Tikkas are ABOVE the ‘cheap’ rifles. RAR, Salvage, and a few others qualify.

When did $ 700-800. become cheap ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rbell
Your weight requirement was 6 lbs 8 ounces. I have several winchester featherweights, which would be my choice. They weigh 6 lbs 8 oz to 6 lbs 10 oz. These are the blued wood stocked versions, not the compact, and I find them to be ultra reliable and quite accurate, about 1 inch at 100 yards for four shot groups. They may be more accurate than that but that appears to be my limit not the guns. With a 2x7 leupold scope, talley lightweight rings they weigh about 7 lbs 6 oz. Hope this helps.

^^^^ This. ^^^^

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Last edited by DollarShort; 05/04/18.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I did say an older ruger or Remington.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by qwk
Its a cheap gun made to meet a price point. Why is it so hard to believe that they may have problems?

Except that it isn’t. You may think, and magazines may have pushed “economy” on it, however regardless of what it started as- they perform very well. After more than 100k rounds on Tikka’s... they just freakin work.

Just like Glocks were thought as cheap plastic yet turned out to be a far superior design as a combat/duty pistol in actual performance to the then current standard, the T3 has shown to be functionally “better” than most available bolt actions regardless of brand or price.

Let’s look at reality...

A poster says he’s seen four (4) broken bolts from T3’s, one of which was without even shooting it.... that poster also thinks the bolt handle is “press fit” and has threads......

Uh no. Those three things should be enough who has actually shot them and disassembled them to discredit everything that came before and after. i.e.-it’s all bs.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,518
Posts18,490,962
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.