Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I love 'em all, eat 'em any way I can get them.

The "R" month thing dates way back to when they shipped oysters in barrels on trains. With our modern shipping and refrigeration methods, there is no such restriction.

I'll be in NOLA next week for business and promise I'll eat 2-3 dozen.

It's also about bacteria in the summer (red tide etc) and oysters are spawning in the summer. I'll pass on warm water oysters.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, they are filter feeders !!

So, It's more about where you get them from.

Love them freshly shucked, cracked black pepper & a squeeze of lemon juice, accompanied by a good stout !

If ya'll gotta cook them;

https://juliegoodwin.com.au/oysters-kilpatrick-recipe/

[Linked Image]

or, steam them in their own juices, only until they pop their top shell & get after them.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I live on the Pamlico Sound in NC so I just go out and catch my own. I usually get from 20-30 bushels a year for me and friends and cookings. Fried oyster burger or cooked on grate over open fire covered with burlap bag to create steam and hold in heat till they crack open.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The "R" month tradition is more because oysters breed in the summer, and that makes them taste - not bad, but not as good. Kind of flaccid and bland. Poor little things are worn out from all that sex. I had a dozen on the half when I was in Augusta Georgia the first week of April, and they were marginal. A shame since I can't get them at all here in Utah.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We just spent a couple of days in Corpus fishing and my wife ate a pile fried. I have no use for them when a killer crab cake is available. I watched a number of folks just swallowing them down though. Never a chew it seemed...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Mmmm..... oysters.

I can drive 20 minutes to an oyster farm and stock up, but they still don’t touch the oysters from my buddies beach on the Hood Canal.

I love a briny, salty oyster.

Ate at least 4 or 5 dozen over the last week. Probably 3 times that many clams.

Life is good.

Bout time to yard the camp trailer up to quilicene for a steamer/oyster run... pard is headed shrimpin this weekend and next weekend, tied up this weekend and headed out halibut and king on the the 11th and 13th... hood canal is a pretty good grocery store

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by EdM
I have no use for them when a killer crab cake is available. .

I love a place in East Baltimore. 16oz. CC on Fridays. Killer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Picked up a quart of selects($34.00) earlier today. Cashier lady remarked as they looked like a jar of gaggers. Oh well, that's West Virginia for ya.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to get fresh oysters when I lived in Alexandria. About March the quality was really down from, say, January. Uncle Ed who made the best oyster stew I ever tasted would quit after February but then he was a connoisseur as far as oysters go. Ed said they were fat mid-winter and by spring they were skinny. Never got into what that meant, I just went with what Ed said. Guess it's what Rocky said, the skinny ones tasted like Rocky described.

Best were off the boat, husk yourself. Commercially processed oysters (in VA/MD anyway) had to be rinsed and you loose some flavor. And damn, is that a chore if your just learning how to do it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I eat them year round. Have for decades. Will continue to. Carry on.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Normal day in my kitchen.It's a mess so fried a few in butter. YUM

Kitchen carnage notwithstanding oyster po'boys BL&D later this week till I bust. smile

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have eaten them year around. They are safe in summer just not as good.When they harvest them they are held in a certain manner that causes the harmful bacteria to die. It's 3 days in LA. I've been buying them for 25 years and hauling them home when I leave work. The ones I bought in March this year were the best oysters I've ever had. I've never eaten any from the Atlantic coast. But I've had them from the Pacific NW and all the Gulf states, In my opinion Louisiana oysters taste the best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you get the chance there's something special about Chesapeake Bay oysters.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
YUP. Chesapeake Bay oysters are the best. Ate a quart of selects the other day. Breaded,pan fried heaven.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,972
Posts18,499,375
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.