Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Hey all, I have a Savage 99 E that was built by Tooley Custom Rifles in 6.5-284, though I am not the original owner. Tooley tells me he used a 284 carrier, but as the gun sits now it does not.

The gun will load 3 rounds (3+1 actually) so long as I don't push that third round too far in. The shoulder and base of the case bind against the receiver. The carrier appears to be made of aluminum and is modified to fit the 284 case but it's 5 shot and has cross slots to set the tension.

I think the cleanest fix would be to install a factory 284 carrier, but I'm not having luck sourcing one. Alternatives would be to try and modify the carrier I have further to gain additional clearance, to open up the bottom of the receiver enough eliminate binding, find an original carrier, or live with it as a 2+1 gun for hunting (if a third round is pushed too far in it'll jam- not something I'ad risk in the field).

Any advice would be appreciated as would a lead on a 284 carrier if y'all think that would solve the problem.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The the milling in the front of the receiver for the factory 284 holds the rotor differently from any from the factory 99E calibers, no cross pin, or slot in the rotor. So it is not likely you'd be able to make a factory 284 rotor work in your rifle without substantial re-engineering.

You might be time and money ahead if you were able to modify your existing rotor, plus, the 308 rotors are easier to come by when you've experimented with it and need another one. Steer clear of opening up the bottom of the receiver! The bottom metal near the case shoulder is only around .07" thick. I learned this by trying to modify a 99 rotor and receiver for .410 shells.., just sayin' - beware

Last edited by JeffG; 05/04/18.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
And welcome to the CampFire! That's one hell of an introduction for a Savage Collector's forum, make sure you wear flame retardant clothing.

JeffG
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
2 + 1 up the spout isn't a bad scenario. How many times does one rip through an entire magazine at a game animal? After the first or (rarely) second shot that deer is running hell-bent-for-election and the following shots are usually Hail Mary's anyway. That said, I feel your pain and would want a fully functioning magazine too, even though I know that it is superfluous.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a .284 carrier. I'm out of town until mid May.

Do yo just want the rotor or complete assembly?

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As JeffG said, I'd get another carrier to modify before you go to work on the one you have. That way you keep the original, regardless of how it functions, in case of mess ups. And too as Mr. JeffG said, welcome!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Is the complete assembly (or carrier) going to fit and work in a 99E chassis?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Is the complete assembly (or carrier) going to fit and work in a 99E chassis?

...short answer - no

JeffG
P
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Thanks guys! I'm an avid single action shooter and handgun hunter, but always thought the 99 was cool and when this one popped up locally at a good price I figured I had nothing to lose.

All good advice, and I'll definitely set the current carrier aside so worse case I have a 2(3)+1 rifle. When I carry a rifle it's either a Low Wall (45 Colt, 260, 338 Fed), Number 3 (357 max) or a No 1 (257 Roberts, 45-70, 6.5 Swede). The Savage is high-capacity as far as I'm concerned, but I'd like it to be all it can be and if I'm carrying that much weight (it's got a heavy contour barrel now) I'd just as soon have the capacity to go along with it.

I'll try to source a 308 carrier as a starting point. I may get in touch with Jack Huntington since he's got a pretty good rifle guy and is willing to do interesting things like this. Maybe they can use a 284 reamer to modify the 308 part. I would think that starting with a brass carrier would be preferable? Easier to work than a case hardened steel one.

The bottom metal feels thin, but I didn't realize that thin. I had the thought that a hone or boring bar might open it up enough, but that sounds like a dangerous proposition and I'll stay away from that.

Lightfoot, I'd still be interested in that assembly even if it just gets used as a guide or template for whatever modifications need to be made to a 308 carrier.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Savage went to aluminum rotors on post mill guns. I have several of those too. The steel ones were used for just a short period after WWII.

Be glad to follow up on this when I get home again.

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
P
That would be great, thank you.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Back home again. i sent a private message. Look for a flashing envelope at the top of the page.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you want the parts you should respond to my message.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mike, he was last on 3 hrs before your "I'm home" posting.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

P
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Rotors on the way thanks to Mike and his patience. I inadvertently closed my 24hr campfire reminder tab. Looking forward to seeing what I can make happen with this build.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1100mag, 53 invisible), 3,535 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,774
Posts18,535,879
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.