Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by Youper
Sorry, no. I should have gotten some, but I didn't even think of it.

Do you have them identified? Or might they be sugar gliders?

It would be pretty surprising to find wild sugar gliders in Michigan.

Flying squirrels are fun to watch. I haven't seen any in a long, long time.

There are sugar gliders all over the country. Folks raise them for sale (as we do) and some get loose. (So I wouldn't be too surprised to find them in Michigan) They are no more indigenous to this area than pigs are to Texas, but they do exist.(ask any Texan about if pigs exist) Both gliders and flying squirrels can glide, but they are very different. Squirrels are rodents, and gliders are marsupials, among other differences.

The Virginia possum is far better suited for cold, yet they seem unable to colonize the UP even after centuries of spreading. There is a huge difference between a lone feral specimen and a reproducing population... or even a single sugar glider in midwinter cold.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not likely. But that is why I asked about pics. However, it was thought at one time, that Ohio had no poisonous snakes and that was proven wrong. We have at least 3 species. I've seen photos taken by a reliable source, showing a mountain lion in Florida. Sometimes, nature disagrees with our own reasoning.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not likely. But that is why I asked about pics. However, it was thought at one time, that Ohio had no poisonous snakes and that was proven wrong. We have at least 3 species. I've seen photos taken by a reliable source, showing a mountain lion in Florida. Sometimes, nature disagrees with our own reasoning.

Where flying squirrels are common it is quite a leap, and glide, to consider sugar gliders in numbers great enough to allow someone to trap "a bunch" of them in one weekend...

Ain't nobody coming along next week with pictures of herds of gliders descending on Ishpeming through the falling snow.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Where flying squirrels are common it is quite a leap, and glide, to consider sugar gliders in numbers great enough to allow someone to trap "a bunch" of them in one weekend...

Ain't nobody coming along next week with pictures of herds of gliders descending on Ishpeming through the falling snow.

Now that's a thought! Hmmm....breed flying squirrels to lemmings and vampire bats! Damn, why did I never learn how to Photoshop? That would go VIRAL!! Lol. wink

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sugar gliders are illegal to own in Pa.
Concern of them going feral, supposedly.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've had many encounters with them over the years, but 2 stick out in my mind. One year while bow hunting just at dark, I had one glide in and lands in my lap. Before I could comprehend what had happened, the little bastard ran up inside my jacket. Still not knowing WTF was on me, I did my best drunk Ninja moves ever 20 feet off the ground. All I can say is I thank God I was wearing a harness that day. The second memorable time was when I rat trapped 13 in one weekend out of my cabin. The first 12 were all males in full squirrel rut. Number 13 was the female. As soon as I got her I never saw or heard another one in the cabin.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a flying squirrel living in the wall of my box blind. I haven't seen him but I hear it land on the roof and then crawl over the eave and into a gap in the outside wall. A brief bit of rustling noises and he is curled up for the day. At dark the noise and movements reverse.

Occasionally, a flying squirrel will be seen in the tray feeder but not often as the deer tend to clean it out as soon as it's filled. Every now and then one will hear a thump as a squirrel lands on the tray and shining a light will yield a pair of eyes looking back. They aren't very tame as any movement has the squirrel heading up the tree and gliding off to other parts. That reminds me I have to get a couple bird houses up for them to use. I keep putting it off but I really need to get going on that. The Owls need something to eat...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This brings back memories while doing Air Force survival in the Canadian woods. We had them gliding about where we were but one night one didn't make it to the next tree as it got intercepted by an owl that was passing through. You could see them with the moon light and all of the snow. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I can't believe in Michigan that they're a protected species and cannot be taken by any means at any time. Yet, weasels, which are not very numerous in Michigan, can be killed at any time for any reason. Virtually every woodlot is infested with Flying Squirrels, just most folks don't see them because they're nocturnal.

Our DNR are morons.

Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I better look into that. I had no idea they were protected. Furthermore I have no idea how to keep them out of the traps. These were coyote sets for cryin' out loud.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Direct from the PDF guide:

Eagles, hawks, owls, spotted fawns, spruce grouse, flying squirrels, wolverines,
lynx, moose, cougars, cub bears, and sow bears accompanied by cubs may not
be taken at any time. All nongame birds are protected, except starlings, house
sparrows, and feral pigeons.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Originally Posted by Youper
I've never heard of sugar gliders before. The guy I was trapping with called them flying squirrels. They had some loose skin between the rear and fore legs that with a little imagination could be thought to resemble wings.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13556735.jpg

https://www.texvetpets.org/wp-conte...lstein-sugar-glider-image-01-610x428.jpg

I have them here in Ohio. My wife has some as pets. (They are marsupials that come to you when called, and like people)

I hope you are joking and not really that dumb...

What, you don't think sugar gliders could handle UP cold???
Or even Ohio?
Just because they are tropical and cannot stand to be even slightly chilly?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/69357.jpg

Do I look like I'm kidding, dumass?

You misspelled dumbass.
Youper, I have seen them at night when I go outside to put some corn out for the deer. When ya get a pic on the trail cam and you see some eyes glowing in the brush or somewhere, likely it is a flying squirrels eyes shining. My son left a pound of chocolate covered peanuts on the stand one night. Figuring it was going to be 0 out , the coons wont get them. The next morning they were gone. Flying squirrels no doubt.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spelled it the way I chose, to make sure it didn't just say "bleep"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Pretty much nocturnal. Only time I see one is sunlight, it's abandoning a firewood tree that just starting to tip over.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have seen the northern flying squirrel in Nova Scotia kind of look like a cross between a red and a hamster used to see them when logging old timber and at night.or evening. Been a long time since I've seen one probably something to do with toilet paper and pulp. I have seen the southern flying squirrel in VA in the evening while bow hunting they're small like a big mouse.

The northern flying squirrels I have seen up close eyes about the size of a dime definitely nocturnal. Not close enough to the southern but I'm sure they're very similar.

Good luck and shoot straight all

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RedAstrachan
I can't believe in Michigan that they're a protected species and cannot be taken by any means at any time. Yet, weasels, which are not very numerous in Michigan, can be killed at any time for any reason. Virtually every woodlot is infested with Flying Squirrels, just most folks don't see them because they're nocturnal.

Our DNR are morons.

Weasels (ermine) are predators very efficient and kill animals much larger than them selfs...they are more common than you think....only time they are really seen is on the high side of there population cycle....I have targeted them trapping my usual buyers are taxidermists.....

R
Roc Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
We have ermine in our deer camp most every year up in the western end of the UP.They keep the mouse population down.Fearless little turds.Had one tagging along with me one time when hunting a cedar swamp.
When I would find a good spot and sit, out would pop this little white head watching me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Youper,

We have them in northern WI as well.
[Linked Image]

A big flood light outside the cabin would reveal the little bastids in the shadows.
Their diet is pretty diverse - eating nuts, seeds, fruits, insects and bird eggs mostly but they'll chomp on meat when it's available.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Flying squirrels are very common in Da U.P., but one hardly sees them. They are very nocturnal.

I’ve mostly seen them as ‘incidentals’ in certain types of traps. Loggers May see them as den trees are cut. A relative has a bunch in the backyard that are visible with dim lighting at night.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have them pretty thick in southern Houghton County. The odd thing is that as the flying squirrel population has increased, we don't see as many red squirrels in the area. I was wondering what I kept picking up on my trail cameras, until I finally got a few good pictures of them. I've also seen them in Copper Harbor, so they've made it to the tip as well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,865
Posts18,478,668
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.