Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by gunner500
Yondering and Boogaloo, I know what you guys are saying, and I suppose any reduction in flash may help, But, many, many moons ago a small group of of us were in a VERY dimly lit loud room, we were hit with differing levels [lumens] of light, ANY direct hit in the eyes and you were screwed, blued and tattooed.

The guys would hit us, blind us, then run around and touch us on the shoulders or top of the head, we couldn't hear or see chit, was kinda funny, suppose someone hit us with a bright weapons light, shut it off, moved to another position, then he turned it back on, we'd be confused, blind 'dead' ducks ;]

Sounds like learning what [bleep] hit the fan may like training /grin\

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ldholton
Yondering and Boogaloo, I know what you guys are saying, and I suppose any reduction in flash may help, But, many, many moons ago a small group of of us were in a VERY dimly lit loud room, we were hit with differing levels [lumens] of light, ANY direct hit in the eyes and you were screwed, blued and tattooed.

The guys would hit us, blind us, then run around and touch us on the shoulders or top of the head, we couldn't hear or see chit, was kinda funny, suppose someone hit us with a bright weapons light, shut it off, moved to another position, then he turned it back on, we'd be confused, blind 'dead' ducks ;]

gunner may not want to tell you what he was being trained to do...

Like "don't ask, don't tell"...

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Ahh, the life of a simple gentlemanly farmer. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
Was able to chrono those .45 Supers today...

.45 Super Starline brass
CCI Large Pistol Primer
Home cast Lyman/Keith Auto Rim 452423 245 grains
1.175" LOA
Longshot Powder:

7.0 958 fps 21 fps ES

7.5 1017 fps 34 fps ES

8.0 1056 fps 33 fps ES

8.5 1107 fps 32 fps ES

9.0 1146 fps 38 fps ES (4 were only 10 fps ES)

9.5 1178 fps 11 fps ES

Five rounds of each load. Zero malfunctions. Brass landed 16-18' from the firing point. Primers were not flattened at all but the area around the firing pin strike was dimpled. I am going to replace the firing pin spring with a heavier one and see if it makes a difference.

Competition Electronics chronograph. Distance was 8'.

Gun was a Kimber Stainless Target II 5" with a square bottom firing pin stop and 24# recoil spring with a shok-buff. Barrel has a fully supported chamber.

Fired 10 rounds into a paper plate at 15 yards...made about a 3" group with the 9.5 grain load.

Wow. That's moving

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Only those Okie 'dillers can talk about incoming "blue whistlers"... shocked

Dat be way mo better... cool

BTW, just passed a dead 6' road killed gator on the way to the office. Don't ya know that dude messed up someone's car or truck. Probably hit him at night. His nose was touching the center line with blood on the pavement, his tail not far from the white edge line on an 8' wide highway. Welcome to Louisiana... blush

DF

Edited to add, my wife said he was gone, they had moved him when she drove by.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/03/18.
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
One of my friends who was not happy with a Glock 29/10mm decided to build an all steel Combat Commander in .45 Super. We put a package together with a 22# recoil spring, square bottom firing pin stop, steel Les Baer flat mainspring housing and silver three hole trigger to replace the original black composite one. The whole thing was shipped to Accurate Plating who fitted everything, did a trigger job and full satin hard chrome....he had it back in 26 DAYS!

We shot it this morning with 230 Ball, the 245 Keith and some new loads of a Hornady 230 JFP with 9.5 of Longshot that should be well into the 1200s...

Everything ran 100%.

After shooting some more of the 245s through both his gun and my Kimber I am going to drop the load back to 8.5 grains for 1100 fps...if that won't go through a bears skull it is time to stay home...

Bob

Was a standard blue one with a black trigger to start..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

10 yards with the 230 Hornady .45 Super load...

[Linked Image]

230 Hornady and the 245 Keith

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RJM; 05/03/18.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

DF

Yes much better than back when 👍

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
DF, 10-4 on the blue whistlers and damn on the gator, bet that sombuck is getting rip on that hardtop grill ;]

RJM, that's a hell of a nice Commander, well done, I'm really liking my new to me 45 ACO Commander.

LOL ld, I still need to apologize for shaking your hand a dozen times at the Tulsa gun show, I knew by reading you here, you were a no BS redneck chit kicking cow man just like me. grin

Trump Won!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
DF, 10-4 on the blue whistlers and damn on the gator, bet that sombuck is getting rip on that hardtop grill ;]

RJM, that's a hell of a nice Commander, well done, I'm really liking my new to me 45 ACO Commander.

LOL ld, I still need to apologize for shaking your hand a dozen times at the Tulsa gun show, I knew by reading you here, you were a no BS redneck chit kicking cow man just like me. grin

My honor gunner ft smith quit shooting my game but when time is my favor I'd travel to share a couple fun times with you 👍

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a custom full sized 1911 that may be a candidate for .45 Super. It has S&W sights, chrome steel frame, blue slide. Don’t think I’ll try a Super conversion with my Longslide Baer.

I have a bunch of new .45 ACP Starline brass. How hot can I go with that brass without having to buy Super brass?

What changes would my 1911 need for a “sorta” Super?

DF

IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just because a gun will run Supers doesn't mean it won't function with standard .45 ACP ammo unless it is lightwight Bullseye ammo...

So just build it just like you were going to shoot Supers and just run .45 +P loads...

Flat bottom firing pin stop, 20-24# recoil spring and a full power mainspring...that is it.

Just watch your standard .45 ACP brass for bulging especially if you do't have a ramped barrel. My friend's gun isn't ramped and with HOT .45 Super rounds there is no bulging.. From what I have read others are getting velocities close to .45 Super but don't reload their brass more than a couple of times... .45 Super brass gets pretty beat up with the velocity the slide is moving..

Bob

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I have a custom full sized 1911 that may be a candidate for .45 Super. It has S&W sights, chrome steel frame, blue slide. Don’t think I’ll try a Super conversion with my Longslide Baer.

I have a bunch of new .45 ACP Starline brass. How hot can I go with that brass without having to buy Super brass?

DF

Starline 45 +P brass and 45 Super brass are the same thickness, the Super brass is heat treated. They will both work for super loads.

Last edited by jwp475; 05/05/18.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by jwp475

Starline 45 brass and 45 Super brass are the same thickness, the Super brass is heat treated. They will both work for super loads.

Ah, no, not like you described it anyway. Heat treating brass can only soften it, something most anyone who's paid attention to annealing should know. If anything, the Super brass would be heat treated less than ACP brass to retain more hardness.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by jwp475

Starline 45 brass and 45 Super brass are the same thickness, the Super brass is heat treated. They will both work for super loads.

Ah, no, not like you described it anyway. Heat treating brass can only soften it, something most anyone who's paid attention to annealing should know. If anything, the Super brass would be heat treated less than ACP brass to retain more hardness.

45 Super Brass (Large Pistol primer)
0.892 - 0.897 O.A.L.

45 Super* is the same externally as the 45 Auto, but has a thicker web, denser grain structure in the metal, and special heat treat process that enhances the durability of the case. Similar internal capacity as the 45 Auto. Some 45 Super load data was published by Triton Cartridge before they went out of business. *Loads to be shot ONLY in guns modified professionally to handle extreme pressures of this cartridge. DO NOT SHOOT IN STANDARD 45 AUTO!

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/45-Super-Brass/

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

My honor gunner ft smith quit shooting my game but when time is my favor I'd travel to share a couple fun times with you 👍

I wondered why we didn't load up the 22's last summer, thought you may have got busy building fence or something, and same/same on the other.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

DF

I was going to suggest you PM JWP, looks like he and RJM have already answered the call.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That being said, I took my Springfield TM to my 'smith for a complete 45 Super spring kit install, he also removed the buffer that was in the pistol when I bought it, I ran Starline 45 Super brass for the 230 gr FMJ-FP loads at a real 1200 fps, hell of a lot of power there, feels like a lite semi auto 44 mag on firing.

Trump Won!
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, I saved that link to my favorites box for later reading.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks guys.

A lot of info to consider.

DF

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (204guy, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 219DW, 67 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,303
Posts18,487,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.