K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Never understood the 'attraction'

Maybe it's the challenge knowing you have that one good shot and that a super fast reload from a magazine ain't there. Or, it could be the esthetics of the single shot rifle. I dunno. It could be all the above and then some. I've hunted enough with one to know it's no handicap. You do have to be a bit choosy on the shots you take but that's no big deal. As far is them being too slow for a second shot, you'd be surprised just how fast one can be reloaded with only a little practice. Funny thing though, after my first shot on game I do the fast reload just in case and have never needed it.
Due to being somewhat handicapped, I only hunt elk on a private ranch which sadly will not allow hunters to use single shot rifles. Their ranch their rules.
The late Al Miller wrote an article on speed loading the single shot rifle. I always enjoyed his ending of the article where he describes bringing in a deer and another hunter looked at his Ruger #1 45-70 (IIRC) and said, "You got him with that?" I've had that happen a time or two and it's a good feeling. You really should try it sometime.
Paul B.

You can just load one round in a magazine if knowing having only one flips your skirt. If you're gonna carry a single shot, you should only bring one round of ammo with you.

If you are going to carry more than one round of ammo with you, a magazine is a great storage area.

That's Funny

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"You can just load one round in a magazine if knowing having only one flips your skirt. If you're gonna carry a single shot, you should only bring one round of ammo with you.

If you are going to carry more than one round of ammo with you, a magazine is a great storage area."

So is a butt cuff. Kind of sounds like if it ain't done your way it shouldn't be done at all. No matter. As the late great Elmer Keith once said, "I believe every man should scratcher his own flea whichever way suits him."
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
X
X1Proto Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by pete53
send it back to RUGER bet they will improve it.

I sent it back as you suggested and WOW what an improvement.
They Repolished the Metal & Reblued it then fit it with a New Forearm & Butstock with Beautiful Fit & Checkering.
I don't use any hosting sites for photo's so if anyone wants to post Photo's for me let me know & i will send them to you.

I guess I will be purchasing more as Funds are available but will be more selective in the future & stick to Older No1's.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Even newer No.1s can be nice if you hand select. Cost waaay less than a new one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hanging arould to make good deals with adults AND to drive old FO even crazier.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Never understood the 'attraction'

Maybe it's the challenge knowing you have that one good shot and that a super fast reload from a magazine ain't there. Or, it could be the esthetics of the single shot rifle. I dunno. It could be all the above and then some. I've hunted enough with one to know it's no handicap. You do have to be a bit choosy on the shots you take but that's no big deal. As far is them being too slow for a second shot, you'd be surprised just how fast one can be reloaded with only a little practice. Funny thing though, after my first shot on game I do the fast reload just in case and have never needed it.
Due to being somewhat handicapped, I only hunt elk on a private ranch which sadly will not allow hunters to use single shot rifles. Their ranch their rules.
The late Al Miller wrote an article on speed loading the single shot rifle. I always enjoyed his ending of the article where he describes bringing in a deer and another hunter looked at his Ruger #1 45-70 (IIRC) and said, "You got him with that?" I've had that happen a time or two and it's a good feeling. You really should try it sometime.
Paul B.

You can just load one round in a magazine if knowing having only one flips your skirt. If you're gonna carry a single shot, you should only bring one round of ammo with you.

If you are going to carry more than one round of ammo with you, a magazine is a great storage area.

I suspect that ranch has a good reason for their rule. The rest of it, as in how fast you can reload contradicts the whole single shot principle. The fact that Mr Miller was relatively quick at it changes nothing. And the best of choosing, eventually will result in the desire to do it quicker. Fine Groundhog rifles.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"I suspect that ranch has a good reason for their rule. The rest of it, as in how fast you can reload contradicts the whole single shot principle. The fact that Mr Miller was relatively quick at it changes nothing. And the best of choosing, eventually will result in the desire to do it quicker. Fine Groundhog rifles."

I would imagine the rule is because too many hunters can't shoot worth cshit. Present company excluded of course. whistle

So what's the problem with a fast reload? Makes no difference what you're shooting, single shot or repeater. I suppose you take your shot, the deer, elk whatever goes down and you just stand there is awe of your prowess without rechambering another round in your rifle? Somehow I doubt that. So where's the difference?
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you like a single shot, no problem. But let's not suppose what I do. What I can do, if fast is needed is do it faster, and do it every time. When required, fast reloading is not a selling point for single shots.

Drop rifle from shoulder, open, remove from your butt cuff, insert, close and remount. Again, use a single shot if you want, but I wouldn't be bragging about how fast it is to reload. Comparatively or when a train wreck requires it.

Single shots are cool. I just don't find them as a best option for big game.

Last edited by battue; 05/06/18.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A nice single shot was on my wish list for many years. I longed for a Dakota but the cost was a slight deterrent but what really turned me off was that butt ugly black recoil pad. I found a used #1 and went from there. This is the result and I couldn't be happier with the gun. Caliber is 7MM-08.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have to admit, they have potential to be lookers. Nice rifle.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by JuniorJohnson
Buying a good No. 1 is simple. Buy only red pads. If anyone has a red pad that will not shoot, I'll relieve you of your problem.

So you're saying that if I buy this gun https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768112006 and it don't shoot, you'll buy it from me at the price I paid for it?

When you buy it, get in touch. IMO, a 218 in a No. 1 is a silly mix, kinda like reworking a Magnum Mauser for 22 rimfire. The wood on the Bee is very average for a red pad.

Why do I think your post is hot air ? Gee no idea.

"Item has Ended" perhaps this ?

Last edited by JuniorJohnson; 05/08/18.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by X1Proto

They Repolished the Metal & Reblued it then fit it with a New Forearm & Butstock with Beautiful Fit & Checkering.
I don't use any hosting sites for photo's so if anyone wants to post Photo's for me let me know & i will send them to you.

I guess I will be purchasing more as Funds are available but will be more selective in the future & stick to Older No1's.

That went better than I expected. Good for you, and good on them for correcting their blunder.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
From and ordinary owner: I'm not sure about that red pad fancy wood connection. All three of my Number One's have ordinary plain wood stocks and red pads. We went about shooting these rifles before anybody told us about the inaccuracy. My shooting partner,s #1V in 220 Swift will deliver strings of groups in the half inch range. My #1B in 257 Roberts with ugly wood produces groups less than an inch. Give me the accuracy any day. The #1H in 375 H&H in the previous post will best mine somewhat. The wood on the #1H here is plain. These are really great guns, the plain Jane's, to own and shoot. Looks like it's the end of the road for these rifles anyway. Get'um while you can.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by X1Proto

That went better than I expected. Good for you, and good on them for correcting their blunder.

Good on both you and Ruger..

Good on you for giving them a chance to correct the issues.

Good on them for doing the right thing in correcting them.

Looking forward to to your future reports of how it does not shoot worth a damn...

smile

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Nice red pad ex 30-06, now JES 9,3x62 (never made in the B)

Grade 2 wood that came up a lot with a an English red & Minwax redo.

Total invested $900.00

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone know offhand if the new stocks are oil finished, or some oil-like product?

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Roundball1
From and ordinary owner: I'm not sure about that red pad fancy wood connection. All three of my Number One's have ordinary plain wood stocks and red pads. We went about shooting these rifles before anybody told us about the inaccuracy. My shooting partner,s #1V in 220 Swift will deliver strings of groups in the half inch range. My #1B in 257 Roberts with ugly wood produces groups less than an inch. Give me the accuracy any day. The #1H in 375 H&H in the previous post will best mine somewhat. The wood on the #1H here is plain. These are really great guns, the plain Jane's, to own and shoot. Looks like it's the end of the road for these rifles anyway. Get'um while you can.

Interesting coments. I have two #1 B's in 25-06, one that looks like it was rode hard and put away wet. I'd planned on using it for a donor in .35 Whelen. never having shot a 25-06 I bought a couple of boxes of ammo and it was one of the most accurate rifles I'd ever shot. Never never ever ever ever shoot the donor. A few months later I came across another #1B in 25-06 that was minty as hell, had some of the nicest wood I've ever seen on a #1 and the price was right. Never saw a 25 caliber shotgun before but that one qualifies.
All my Ruger #1's are red pad thus mostly likely have those crappy Wilson barrels. You never know until you shoot the thing. I have some with pretty wood that are tack drivers and some with plain wood that just won't groups for spit. Just the luck of the draw I guess.

My biggest gripe on the #1's is I never could find any "S" models in any caliber I was interested in. I ordered a #1S in .300 Win. Mag. and they sent a "B". When I complained, my LGS called the supplier and their attitude was, "Take it or leave it." So now I have three #1's in .300 Win. Mag. The B"B I bought in IIRC 1975, and "S" I found at a gun show and another "S" "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty." I haven't shot that last one yet for some reason but the other two run .375" to .50" and the 200 gr. Speer Hot Core. None of the three rifles have pretty wood. I haven't hunted the "S" gun but have taken the "B" on several elks hunts. The elk 3, Ruger 0. Seems like if I had a cow tag all I saw was bulls and if I had a bull tag all I saw was cows. Just bad luck I guess.
Paul B.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Anyone know offhand if the new stocks are oil finished, or some oil-like product?

They are sprayed with a politically correct water based finish that is a b--ch to remove. Then you have to sand, blow out the very open grained wood (swamp walnut) fill it and put on about 10 coats of min wax poly to get a decent look.

Much simpler to buy a old red pad and swap the wood. that's why I have the only Red Pad 450-400.

[Linked Image]

X
X1Proto Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
I couldn't Resist another No1 in 220 Swift, its a late one but decent wood for the latest Rifles. Got it for a price I couldn't pass up, wht sold for 20 years ago, so there are still deals out there.
I think I'll send it back for a higher polish Reblue & New Wood if the Price is Right.

I also have my eyes on another No1 if I can get a decent deal on it.

I'm starting all over again at 81. Look out if I'd ever hit a lottery.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a beauty. Thanks for the info. I used minwax matte spar poly on my finishless pre-64. Came out very nicely and cured the zero wandering about from one year to the next.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Accuracy is a sometimes thing with Ruger 1’s. As much as is published on the matter, for some reason people keep buying them.

If you want the perfect single shot, get an 1885

Last edited by Reloder28; 05/12/18.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 257Bob, 219DW, 64 invisible), 2,872 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,311
Posts18,487,258
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.