Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Stinson Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
If I had one of them fancy Superlites in 6.5 Creedmoor I'd likely cut it down to 23" or so - that could work wink

I think I’m getting under Oregonmuley’s skin a little.
I’m the 2nd owner of this gun, taking a hacksaw to it might be getting personal. Lol

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've had a Brownells muzzle chamfering tool for around 25 years. Dunno how many barrels I've shortened and recrowned with it during those years, but it's been dozens. Not one has short worse, and the vast majority have shot better.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've had a Brownells muzzle chamfering tool for around 25 years. Dunno how many barrels I've shortened and recrowned with it during those years, but it's been dozens. Not one has short worse, and the vast majority have shot better.

Good to know - a nice remedy for the threaded muzzles!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If it's your rifle, then have it done.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stinson
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
If I had one of them fancy Superlites in 6.5 Creedmoor I'd likely cut it down to 23" or so - that could work wink

I think I’m getting under Oregonmuley’s skin a little.
I’m the 2nd owner of this gun, taking a hacksaw to it might be getting personal. Lol

Not at all Terry - If I would be kept that one I'd likely have to have it shortened as well. I think you will really like it if you chop off at least an inch and a half to something like 23" or so. Would be more better!!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

S
Stinson Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Took the hacksaw to her (she is a beauty) today. Used a new blade and got a nice straight, clean cut.
Took off 2-3/4”, leaving 21-1/2”. Cleaned it up with a good file.
Tried to get Dave Manson on the phone to order some crowning tools today but couldn’t get anyone to pick up. I’ll try again tomorrow.
I think they are old school, can’t just place an online order......PayPal? What’s that? It’s All good, I like to deal with old school.
Was going to post a pic, guess it’s not that simple.
Thanks for the help, I’ll let you know how it shoots.

Last edited by Stinson; 04/17/18.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
They are efficient and generally johnny on the spot with the phone. That crowning kit is worth it’s weight in gold. I haven’t done a factory tube yet that didn’t shoot better.

Barrel steel is amazingly soft with a hacksaw. Kimber’s seems to be the softest of the ones I’ve cut. Which leads me to believe is the root of some of their accuracy woes

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Hacksaw, files, 45-degree chamfer tool, and one beer.

Opened beers plenty of different ways but that method is new to me. You must be an old school stubby connoiseur.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How vital is it to get the cut perfectly perpendicular to the length of the barrel? Seems this would be difficult to achieve to a degree of perfection with a hacksaw. But I’ve certainly never tried.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by turkish
How vital is it to get the cut perfectly perpendicular to the length of the barrel? Seems this would be difficult to achieve to a degree of perfection with a hacksaw. But I’ve certainly never tried.

It’s tough to get it straight with the saw. After I chopped mine, I C-Clamped a 4” length of 2”x2” angle iron to the end of the barrel. I set the angle iron so it was just below flush with the cut. I then simply used the angle iron as a jig while filing the barrel. I rotated the jig a couple of time, just to make sure the face was true.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

S
Stinson Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S

Dave Manson makes a 0 degree carbide cutter that aligns itself to the bore with a pilot (that doesn’t spin with the tool) that will true the muzzle. I did the best I could with a file and a square, thinking it would make life easier on the facing cutter.
Here is a video of the tool using the 11 degree cutter.

[video:youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=-Xpzv1Spsnk[/video]

Last edited by Stinson; 04/18/18.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Took the hacksaw to her (she is a beauty) today. Used a new blade and got a nice straight, clean cut.
Took off 2-3/4”, leaving 21-1/2”. Cleaned it up with a good file.
Tried to get Dave Manson on the phone to order some crowning tools today but couldn’t get anyone to pick up. I’ll try again tomorrow.
I think they are old school, can’t just place an online order......PayPal? What’s that? It’s All good, I like to deal with old school.
Was going to post a pic, guess it’s not that simple.
Thanks for the help, I’ll let you know how it shoots.

You can also purchase everything from here.
http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
S
Stinson Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I almost did, would have been cheaper and from my own state.
Not sayings it’s wrong, but I just couldn’t get past the idea of their pilots spinning on the rifling.

Last edited by Stinson; 04/18/18.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

It doesn’t matter seem to matter, in my experience.

I once purposely cut a barrel off at a 45 degree angle to the bore. The rifle shot the same as it had before the cut.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

I once purposely cut a barrel off at a 45 degree angle to the bore. The rifle shot the same as it had before the cut.

You serious?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hacksaw, files, 45-degree chamfer tool, and one beer. Just don't use a VLD chamfer tool.

It's easy. If you somehow screw it up, take it to your gunsmith so he can clean it up. You have nothing to lose, if you have the tools.

I’ve thought about it, I could get it cut off (not sure how hard the stainless will be) and cleaned up with a good file.
The crown scares me off. Looks like I can buy reamers made for the job. The ones I’ve looked at use the inside of the barrel for a centering guide, I’m not liking the idea of that spinning on the rifling.
I’m not sure if a smith would use a lathe or not, but if he did nothing would be riding on the rifling.
No guts no glory I guess.

I've cut crowns with a lathe, I've cut crowns with a Brownell's tool that uses a pilot that rides on the lands of the rifling.

I'm not a target shooter, but when I cut down my Rem 700 223 I had to use the cutter riding on the lands as the barrel was too large in dia to fit through the headstock of my lathe. I've shot 5 shot 1/2" groups at 100 yds after shortening the barrel and re-crowning.

I prefer to use a lathe as it's one setup to clean up the face of the barrel, put a chamfer on the od and cut a crown, and otherwise make a nice tidy job of it, but it doesn't mean it's the only way to accomplish the job with satisfactory results.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Nrut
You'll lose 14 to 20 fps per inch cut off and have a much handier rifle..

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=6.5+creedmoor+barrel+cut+vel.+loss&atb=v100-7_f&ia=web

And lowder.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bushrat
Hacksaw, files, 45-degree chamfer tool, and one beer.

Opened beers plenty of different ways but that method is new to me. You must be an old school stubby connoiseur.

Sounds like you've got a translation problem. Sorry, I don't speak Canadian laugh

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

You serious?

Yes.

S
Stinson Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Finished up the hacksaw job today, turned out really nice.
Used The David Manson crowning tool.

Attached Images
IMG_May62018at113229AM.jpg (67.86 KB, 120 downloads)
jpg.jpg (91.57 KB, 110 downloads)
IMG_May62018at113320AM.jpg (37.73 KB, 122 downloads)
Tikka.jpg (90.98 KB, 112 downloads)
Last edited by Stinson; 05/06/18.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.