Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As many of us here do, I'm always trolling for a better mouse trap and after handling about every make and model of firearm past and present, I have a few things I like. A couple of those things are controlled-round feed (and I'm not debating anyone about that) and a three-position safety. That being said, I've only owned one Model 70 in my life, it was in the early 90's and in a weak moment, I sold it prior to firing it.

I'm interested in the current manufacture/BACO M70 Featherweight in 270Win or 7mm Mag, but know little to nothing about them; enlighten me.

Is the MOA trigger a decent trigger or just marketing hype that needs replaced?

As far as accuracy is concerned, how do they compare to what is currently on the market?

Are the barrels made in-house and are they twisted properly?

I'm not a huge fan of McMillan stocks (gasp), so who makes a nice light-weight aftermarket stock?

Are the actions appropriately sized for the cartridge or is it a one size fits all system?

Any insight you can provide is appreciated.

Last edited by StudDuck; 05/07/18. Reason: I'm illiterate

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

HR IC

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing wrong with baco made model 70's. The MOA trigger is a good one, I replaced the spring in mine with Ernie trigger spring kit. You will see guys putting Timmney triggers in them but that's just wasting money. I have a extreme weather and it shoots pretty damn good. Barrels are made in house and are twisted right for what your looking for. Stocks I can't help you there BSA and other can help with that. They do not use one action fits all, they have true short/long etc. you will not regret picking one up. They are a great rifle..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The M70 Featherweight as currently made is, in my opinion, as good as any Model 70 ever produced.

The MOA trigger is not bad, but a bitch to get the glue off of in order to adjust it...

Accuracy is more than acceptable for a hunting rifle. You may want to bed the lug and/or skim bed...but I'd sure shoot it first...with decent handhloads you can expect MOA

Barrels are made in house in SC last time I checked...

Aftermarket stocks...I like B&C but like some of my other opinions, I'm sure they'll be challenged

The actions are either short or long...sized close enough for the cartridges you mentioned.

There is one mans opinion....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 79S
They do not use one action fits all, they have true short/long etc...

They did use one action fits all. At some point they changed. My post 64 FWT in 308 is on a long action. Its serial number dates it to 1982. It's a push feed.

Last edited by Reloder28; 05/07/18.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What Ingwe said. Very much impressed by my recent M70 7x57.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The new ones are made in portugal, my dealer says they are better guns then the SC rifles. Good Solid rifle , not my cup of tea anymore .

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In my opinion the Winchester M70 is the best overall bolt action commercially mass produced available today. Overall meaning best package.
There are few rifles out there that may beat the M70 in one or 2 categories, but taken as a package the M70 is the high-water mark of bolt action rifles, unless you go a to a fully custom made gun. Even then you can get a "nicer" rifle, but I doubt you can get one much better as far as function goes.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by 79S
They do not use one action fits all, they have true short/long etc...

They did use one action fits all. At some point they changed. My post 64 FWT in 308 is on a long action. Its serial number dates it to 1982. It's a push feed.

. Mid 80's is when they made the change to short and long actions. But back on topic he's asking about current production

Last edited by 79S; 05/07/18.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
The new ones are made in portugal, my dealer says they are better guns then the SC rifles. Good Solid rifle , not my cup of tea anymore .

And that's where the arguments start lol. But some say the first ones out of South Carolina are some of the best made. I know where a nib extreme weather made in 2009 in 325 wsm is at. If any one is interested.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

And that's where the arguments start lol. But some say the first ones out of South Carolina are some of the best made. I know where a nib extreme weather made in 2009 in 325 wsm is at. If any one is interested.

Yes the first ones out of SC were outstanding as well.

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
IMO the Model 70's made today are the best ever, I have been so impressed by the new Model 70's My buddy has bought recently that I am buying a new Extreme Weather .300 WSM for Myself......Hb

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
IMO the Model 70's made today are the best ever, I have been so impressed by the new Model 70's My buddy has bought recently that I am buying a new Extreme Weather .300 WSM for Myself......Hb

What kind of accuracy are we talking about; hunting rifle good or Tikka good? There is a difference. grin

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a SC made FW in 270 a few years ago. It is well made and shoots well under MOA. Replaced the springs with the ones from Ernies. My understanding is that they are now assembled in Portugal just like Browning shotguns have been for years, that would certainly not be a deal breaker for me.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

What kind of accuracy are we talking about; hunting rifle good or Tikka good? There is a difference. grin

My buddy bought an Extreme weather and a Featherweight both in 30-06, the Featherweight actually outshoots the Extreme Weather by a little, we tried 3 factory ammo's and the Extreme Weather shot 2 of them sub MOA (barely..like .9") and the other printed 1.25"-1.5" 3 shot @100 yds. The Featherweight shot all three loads sub MOA and Barnes Vortex 165gr TTSX factory loads were very accurate with all bullet holes touching, .5" or so.......Both of his rifles functioned flawlessly and had great triggers that broke cleanly around 3.5lbs (3.4-3.6lbs according to my Wheeler trigger pull guage).......They also feel like solid very well made rifles as fit and finish on his rifles is top notch.......Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be patient and find a like new made in USA 1990's Classic. Best hunting trigger ever made. Thank me later.

Model 70's have been made on true short actions since 1985.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have one in 7x57. The MOA trigger is a bit heavier than I am used to, but very crisp. I have shot factory Prvi Partisan, Winchester, Federal and in 140g, 145g, and 175g. All grouped ~ an inch or less and had similar placed groups at 100 yards. No more than an inch from the other. It was comforting to know I could use either load to take hunting with virtually the same sight in. The .375 H&H of the small caliber world.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by winchester70
Be patient and find a like new made in USA 1990's Classic. Best hunting trigger ever made. Thank me later.

This. There's no reason to pursue a Mod70 if you aren't going to get the good old trigger. There are a ton of Classics available on GB and such.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I have a like new Supergrade I will sell you. It is not a featherweight but the wood is awesome and
the rifle flat shoots.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The BACO featherweights are great rifles. I think it's one of the few that are just right out of the box.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
The M70 Featherweight as currently made is, in my opinion, as good as any Model 70 ever produced.

The MOA trigger is not bad, but a bitch to get the glue off of in order to adjust it...

Accuracy is more than acceptable for a hunting rifle. You may want to bed the lug and/or skim bed...but I'd sure shoot it first...with decent handhloads you can expect MOA

Barrels are made in house in SC last time I checked...

Aftermarket stocks...I like B&C but like some of my other opinions, I'm sure they'll be challenged

The actions are either short or long...sized close enough for the cartridges you mentioned.

There is one mans opinion....

Lighter fluid and burn it off maybe INgwe?

certainly would be a southern Oregon solution....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 79 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,721
Posts18,494,661
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.