Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Of course back then, you could fix stuff with a wrench, pliers and a screwdriver.

Ha ! Years ago when working as a millwright that generally held to be true. Boss always yelled "Don't fix it, just get it running !"

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oldtimer303

I was getting low on bailing wire myself and a nephew gave me some that was shiny. Thought it only came in rusty red and found hanging in barn rafters. Said it came out of Kansas, so keep an eye out in SW Kansas as its available on the black market. GW grin
lol

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I could only have one tool - It would be a big Hammer!

If you can't it with that - You can fix it so nobody else can either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dad always said that man with a Cresent wrench, a vicegrips, a slipjoint pliers and a multibit screwdriver could fix a powerful amount ov things in a pinch given a good length of heavy gauge wire.

My father-in-law drove a farm fuel delivery vehicle. He kept a large Crescent wrench under the seat. More than one aggressive dog got tuned up when they tried to attack him while he was making a delivery. He said he seldom came across a dog that needed a reminder.

Maybe a Crescent wrench could be a civilian collapsible baton in jurisdictions where they are illegal (Canada)? Your honor, I realized I was in a perilous situation. I tried to extricate myself but was unsuccessful. I believed myself to be under attack and in danger of serious grievious injury and or death. I grabbed what was handy, I guess I must have left that Crescent wrench under the seat after the last repair. When the person threatening me did not retreat upon seeing the wrench, but continued to approach me in a threatening manner, I set about defending myself in a vigorous manner. I beat the threatening person with the wrench until a) he ran away, b) he fell down after several blows to the head and neck area and he was no longer a threat to me. I immediately called 911. I tried to perform first aid, but I was shaking so bad I was unable to do so. EMT advised me he was DOA.

Could work.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
When I worked in a forge shop and stamping, we used huge crescent wrenches to change dies. Most of the time we had to use them with pipe extensions that were 4ft long. I had never seen wrenches that big. Some of those wrenches had been used for many years. All were USA made.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
GrandDad always kept one of those huge industrial sized Crescents Wrench’s in every tractor. Seen him get out of the tractor and kill rattlesnakes with it many times. He was not one to waste ammo.

About the only tools I carry in my Ranch truck nowadays is a huge set of Channel Locks, an Axe, Fencing Pliers, and a couple of big screw drivers.
Dad’s old Ranch Truck has enough Craftsman Tools in it to open a damned a Sears Store. I should never have to buy another tool in my lifetime as many as he had at the Ranch.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/08/18.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
all crescent wrenches or channel locks i've had disappear thanks to my stepsons.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AB2506
Dad always said that man with a Cresent wrench, a vicegrips, a slipjoint pliers and a multibit screwdriver could fix a powerful amount ov things in a pinch given a good length of heavy gauge wire.

My father-in-law drove a farm fuel delivery vehicle. He kept a large Crescent wrench under the seat. More than one aggressive dog got tuned up when they tried to attack him while he was making a delivery. He said he seldom came across a dog that needed a reminder.

Maybe a Crescent wrench could be a civilian collapsible baton in jurisdictions where they are illegal (Canada)? Your honor, I realized I was in a perilous situation. I tried to extricate myself but was unsuccessful. I believed myself to be under attack and in danger of serious grievious injury and or death. I grabbed what was handy, I guess I must have left that Crescent wrench under the seat after the last repair. When the person threatening me did not retreat upon seeing the wrench, but continued to approach me in a threatening manner, I set about defending myself in a vigorous manner. I beat the threatening person with the wrench until a) he ran away, b) he fell down after several blows to the head and neck area and he was no longer a threat to me. I immediately called 911. I tried to perform first aid, but I was shaking so bad I was unable to do so. EMT advised me he was DOA.

Could work.

Your honor, I applied the wrench until his nuts fell off. Problem solved.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Never seen an adjustable hammer.

Pics or it did not happen.

I have one. 4 diffrent striking surfaces. Screw out and screw in replacements as needed. 3 softer heards for dead blows, and one steel head.

I've seen ads for those.....IIRC they're expensive as hell.

Naw, something like this is fairly inexpensive
https://img.kawanlama.com/media/cat...5d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/K/W/KW0102040_1.JPG

Far cheaper than an Eastwing.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm gonna catch up on this thread this evening, I did see Flave got the 'ol cowboy cold shoulder....

Poor bastard!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cra1948
Years ag we had a lot guys from Germany and the UK working in tool rooms. One of the Brits once informed me in no uncertain terms that “Cresent” is a brand name. The tool is properly referred to as an “adjustable spanner.”

In Australia, they're called shifting spanners.

They use 'em to shift a lot of [bleep] !

Handy, to be sure, but excellent at rounding off bolts heads & nuts !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
We used to have a laborer on the jobsite we called "Crescent Wrench". He earned that nickname because every time you needed him, you'd find he'd slipped off!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
all crescent wrenches or channel locks i've had disappear thanks to my stepsons.

Those fugkers sound like a real pain in the ass.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
GrandDad always kept one of those huge industrial sized Crescents Wrench’s in every tractor. Seen him get out of the tractor and kill rattlesnakes with it many times. He was not one to waste ammo.

About the only tools I carry in my Ranch truck nowadays is a huge set of Channel Locks, an Axe, Fencing Pliers, and a couple of big screw drivers.
Dad’s old Ranch Truck has enough Craftsman Tools in it to open a damned a Sears Store. I should never have to buy another tool in my lifetime as many as he had at the Ranch.

Fencing pliers are some handy sumbeeches!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just about every lineman will have a 12" wrench on his belt or in his bucket. We preferred the brands that had a screw through the thumb screw vs the ones that were pinned in. We would file or cut an additional notch in the jaws so it would open enough to fit the nuts on 7/8" bolts. This probably weakened the wrench a little but we were tightening bolts on wooden structures. Also, no one wanted to climb with a 16 or 20 in wrench on their belt. The best wrenches seemed to be Blackhawk or Proto. We also had Klien, Craftsman and ChannelLock. Williams seemed to hold up ok. I was never around a Snao-On.

lightman
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Always carried the protos. Their 8” will open to 1 1/8” to fit oxy /acer regulators and victor tip nuts.

Easy to tote in back pocket or bucket.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What some call Cresent wrenches, are actually monkey wrenches. (Smooth parallel jaws for square nuts, and used by type setters and printer's monkeys.)

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 76 invisible), 3,179 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,430
Posts18,528,530
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.