Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 85 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 84 85
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
Went fishing this weekend. Lots of walking but the only time the heart rate got elevated was when I caught that big brown......

I'm quite sore this morning. Glutes, hip flexors, etc. The ocean was snotty and my little boat gets tossed around like a cork.

But the ling..... oh my, the ling. Basically a hyper-aggressive tube of awesome buttery white meat attached to a giant, toothy, mouth. I'm already plotting a proper ocean boat. My little gal can only go out when the seas are relatively calm. Well.... I'll only TAKE her out in those circumstances. Who knows what her limits actually are. When the water is so cold you'll be dead in under an hour of hypothermia (and functionally incapacitated long before then) it tends to keep a guy cautious.

Oh- had a whale breach about 100 yards from the boat! Freaking Oregon, maaaan. smile

Last edited by Jeff_O; 05/07/18.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Won't clog our thread but here she is back at the dock. I think I'm about done upgrading this boat- I think she's in good overall trim other than upgrading to 4-stroke motors. My motors run awesome- love me some Japanese machinery- but the exhaust fumes from them can be a bit much on an ocean "drift". Basically you find underwater structure on the FF, figure out the drift angle from the wind and currents, and set up drifts over the structure. The boat will go bow-first into the drift. So, the wind is from behind and the fumes can pool in the cockpit area. I was having some issues with seasickness and the fumes compounded it greatly. I'm kind of a pussy out there and leave the motor idling on the drift so we can have instant steerage if there's a big rogue swell or something I need to point the bow into.

BUT.... to dupe that wonderful Suzuki 40-hp in a 4-stroke would be, gosh, $6k or so. And it'd be a lot heavier. That pulls the stern down, and one technique on a drift is to "back-troll", which means put the motor in reverse and push the stern of the boat against the drift. That can make swells or wind chop waves come over the transom, and that's........ not good. So keeping weight off the stern on a little boat like mine is important.

Enough boat gakk.... haha.... sorry guys.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hunting season is fast approaching, and I need to get into shape. What kind of boat should I buy?

Cardio today on the stationary bike, 40 minutes, 510 cals.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Paddle boat?

5 mile walk

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Get serious, I need a good core workout.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Scott
I did a 1.5 mile hike yesterday with 25lb pack. According to the Garmin, 1000ft of elevation. Kicked my butt.
Aside from the plague I was fighting, it turns out my vocal cords are not opening, probably nerve damage from the radiation treatments. Doc says I'm operating at 1/5th of normal airway opening. Was at Cleveland Clinic last week and have appt in Phlly on the 14th.

While frustrating, at least I'm still on the right side of the grass. On a positive note, I was able to get a MT surplus elk combo tag.

Scott, I hope your doctors can fix the airway, and you plug a big one in MT.

Good luck!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Welp......you and battue kinda own the man-ass talk and frankly, I'm ok with that..... with that conceded, I'm pretty sure the whale was checking mine out.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
21 miles and 1100 feet of elevation on the bike today.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Smoke. Doc at Cleveland suggested removal of 2/3 of mostly paralyzed cord. Still researching the cons since it non-reversible. Want to see if doc at Penn offers same remedy.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Welp......you and battue kinda own the man-ass talk and frankly, I'm ok with that..... with that conceded, I'm pretty sure the whale was checking mine out.

For now and evermore you shall be known as whale ass.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Scott
I did a 1.5 mile hike yesterday with 25lb pack. According to the Garmin, 1000ft of elevation. Kicked my butt.
Aside from the plague I was fighting, it turns out my vocal cords are not opening, probably nerve damage from the radiation treatments. Doc says I'm operating at 1/5th of normal airway opening. Was at Cleveland Clinic last week and have appt in Phlly on the 14th.

While frustrating, at least I'm still on the right side of the grass. On a positive note, I was able to get a MT surplus elk combo tag.

Scott, I hope your doctors can fix the airway, and you plug a big one in MT.

Good luck!!

Same here.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
4 miles on the trails for Tiny E and I yesterday evening

few more pics from Sunday

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

For now and evermore you shall be known as whale ass.

What do you know about exercise and conditioning, you don't even own a boat.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I acquired my expertise traveling the mighty Mongahela and Allegheny for three summers on a Derrick boat.

We could have picked up that little dingy, flung it up on the bank and never missed a beat.

Last edited by battue; 05/08/18.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Elliptical: 15 min

TNation: Squats, Seated Rows, Dumbell Rows

Dog walk/jog: 45min

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hit the gym today, tried the squat machine for the first time in 3 1/2 months. It doesn't require the ankle to flex so the ankle was fine but the leg muscles overloaded at about 2/3 of the weight I left off with, so I had to hold off on that one. I'll have to work back into it slowly.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
^ that’s good progress; muscle tone recovers pretty quickly- slow and steady is the way to do it

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, I hear that slow and steady wins the race.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
6 mile hike in the Coast Range w/ Cyn and the mutts.

The goal was to get to the area I mentioned a couple weeks ago- little waterfall, steel plates, etc- but from lower. We went up a gated old logging road that seemed correct... but there's a [bleep] zillion of them and it went elsewhere. Cool hike though and I found two great hunting spots in the form of clear cuts that were maybe 4-5 years old, so tons of browse, but still decent visibility... this is one of them; it's about two miles past the gate which is more than enough to keep 95% of the "hunters" around here away. Pretty perfect for the 6.5 GAP 4s! smile

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
^ nice find smile

Wendler week 19: deadlifts 5/3/1+/10, overhead press 5/3/1+/10, weighted lunges 3x50 yards, chin-ups 3x13, core

Page 29 of 85 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 84 85

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 75 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,514
Posts18,509,439
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.