Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Me, I just call a spade, a spade. ... wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Went out and took a pic....

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Don,

Yes Ive seen em like that before and they are handy as hell!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I found it on a powerline. The local electric co-op replaced some poles a few years ago and musta lost it....

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Damn good find!! When I worked for the old road company I found all kinds of stuff. My best find was a 16’ fiberglass extension ladder. Like to never got that thing home!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have one exactly like that in the UTV

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Sharpshooter

[Linked Image]

Always called that a track shovel. What we use to clean the mud out of the tracks on bulldozers in winter so it wouldn't freeze in the sprockets.

To me, that is a trencher.

It's a regional thing. My Tennessee dirt farmer grandfather born in 1910 always called it a sharpshooter as did everybody else around. If you'd asked for a trencher or trenching shovel they'd have looked at you funny with no idea what you meant.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That sharpshooter was always a drain spade to me. The round end matches clay drain tile diameter so you can smooth a bed of sand and lay the tiles with a good run. Drain spade to my late Pa, too, where I learnt it. He was an Iowa boy to put some region on it.

It is too bad you can't find tools made to last. I have a 1943 coal shovel I assume my FIL borrowed from the railroad. Glad I don't have to get to know the working end of it.

Last edited by kennyd; 05/09/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sharpshooter

[Linked Image]

OK, thanks.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I just bought a new transmission for my tow-behind rototiller. Both sides of the housing were cracked. To buy the housing parts would have cost nearly $600. To buy a complete transmission with new gears, bearings, chain, etc., was $250.

Lucky, if it had been made by Toyota you would have had to hock your house for the repair.

My point is that they don't want to stock parts, just the whole item. Like shovel handles, they don't want to waste space in the store for low profit parts. They either don't sell them or they jack up the price to an unreasonable level. They don't want to stock all those individual transmission parts so they price them way higher than they're worth.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to know the name and brand of those shovels that are solid steel rather than hollow in the shank. Those are the sheit. As far as I know they still make them. You can find solid ones in antique stores sometimes. They're the only kind I'll use. The one I use now has been re-handled a half dozen times. "Old Rusty, the Boss's Shovel" Also look for as straight as you can get so you can dig a deep hole if needed.

Last edited by Fireball2; 05/09/18.

LOL
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RDW
I have a few shovels and hard tine rakes with broken handles and noticed a replacement handle is more expensive than a shovel.

That's because you are not buying a quality shovel. I just replaced a handle on my irrigating shovel for the third time. At $10 to $12 apiece for the replacements I still have less into it than replacing the shovel once, if I could find an actual replacement.

Ames Pony shovels start over 50 bucks, but unfortunately it is a piece of crap compared to the original Ames Pony Featherweight which I grew up with. The new shovel weighs more, the blade is thicker, the balance is schitt, and they will not hold an edge.

But hey, who wants to pay for real quality tools today? Nobody does, when they are buying the tools for short term laborers. Back when the guy writing the check was the one running the shovel, he paid for the finest he could find.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by RDW
I have a few shovels and hard tine rakes with broken handles and noticed a replacement handle is more expensive than a shovel.

That's because you are not buying a quality shovel. I just replaced a handle on my irrigating shovel for the third time. At $10 to $12 apiece for the replacements I still have less into it than replacing the shovel once, if I could find an actual replacement.

Ames Pony shovels start over 50 bucks, but unfortunately it is a piece of crap compared to the original Ames Pony Featherweight which I grew up with. The new shovel weighs more, the blade is thicker, the balance is schitt, and they will not hold an edge.

But hey, who wants to pay for real quality tools today? Nobody does, when they are buying the tools for short term laborers. Back when the guy writing the check was the one running the shovel, he paid for the finest he could find.

That's exactly right, see my post above.

https://www.amleo.com/ames-pony-forged-round-point-irrigation-shovel-with-47in-ash-handle/p/2IS/

Last edited by Fireball2; 05/09/18.

LOL
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Me, I just call a spade, a spade. ... wink

I see them lately advertised as a "round point shovel".
crazy

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I found it on a powerline. The local electric co-op replaced some poles a few years ago and musta lost it....

I’ve got one like that, but it’s got an extra long handle. I always figured it was for cleaning out post holes or the like. It’s a favorite for relocating dog shît with the scoop and launch technique.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Pat85
Sharpshooter

[Linked Image]

Always called that a track shovel. What we use to clean the mud out of the tracks on bulldozers in winter so it wouldn't freeze in the sprockets.

To me, that is a trencher.

It's a regional thing. My Tennessee dirt farmer grandfather born in 1910 always called it a sharpshooter as did everybody else around. If you'd asked for a trencher or trenching shovel they'd have looked at you funny with no idea what you meant.

Everybody is right - sort of. There are at least two versions of similar spades:
1. Tile spades (or drain spades, or trenchers). these are what you'll find in the local hardware store.
2. Tree planting spades (or sharpshooters). very similar in appearance, but typically reinforced for heavy prying, wider foot pads, sharpened tips when used in firefighting. The long, narrow blades copied from tile spades are good for planting long root seedlings. Available thru forestry equipment suppliers.

Anyone sorry this came up yet??

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I could talk shovels and adjustable wrenches for days.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by MikeL2

Everybody is right - sort of. There are at least two versions of similar spades:
1. Tile spades (or drain spades, or trenchers). these are what you'll find in the local hardware store.
2. Tree planting spades (or sharpshooters). very similar in appearance, but typically reinforced for heavy prying, wider foot pads, sharpened tips when used in firefighting. The long, narrow blades copied from tile spades are good for planting long root seedlings. Available thru forestry equipment suppliers.

Anyone sorry this came up yet??

Maybe, but the ones sold at the hardware store which you're calling "tile spades" were what were called "sharpshooters" by everyone I knew which were all middle Tennessee and Mississippi dirt farmers. Back when I learned the word tree planting pretty much didn't exist so no one would have ever seen a tree planting spade. When pine forestry got big in my area manual planting was done with a dibble bar. Nowadays the mexican planting crews mostly use hoedad's because they can plant faster with them than a dibble bar. Still to this day no one in my area would know what a tree planting spade is, but our version of a "sharpshooter" is still what you're calling a tile spade.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sharpshooter

[Linked Image]

Bring that sucker to Alaska and fill a pail with razor clams!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
I could talk shovels and adjustable wrenches for days.

I can definitely think of worse subjects to cover.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 61 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,707
Posts18,513,889
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.