Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Good luck. Those here will overcome all of what you need to do to even fit the action. A smith is not born and the net will lead you astray fast. I have built hundreds of stocks from planks of wood, Not pre cut. Chainsaw a plank from a tree and season to make a rifle stock. A missing fore arm from a double shotgun and the missing metal. The guys do not understand finish at all. Over 10 minutes is too long. Smiths do not get rich. Takes months for a stock. I confuse the stupid.

What did he just say??

I am not sure, but someone told me he ended by saying he is confused.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like a foreign language to me... which foreign language is what I can't figure out...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Everyone sounds like a liberal, brain washed to follow the path and never think. Take liberal arts in collage and find a job. Can anyone explain what "liberal arts" is? I bet there might be one person here that can solder a water pipe, the rest call a plumber. Maybe I am too forgiving and there are none at all. To take a gun apart when you can't pound a nail is scary.
You need to read everything and repeat it so you sound educated. Then you vote liberals in. Comments are pure liberal trash.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone sounds like a liberal, brain washed to follow the path and never think. Take liberal arts in collage and find a job. Can anyone explain what "liberal arts" is? I bet there might be one person here that can solder a water pipe, the rest call a plumber. Maybe I am too forgiving and there are none at all. To take a gun apart when you can't pound a nail is scary.
You need to read everything and repeat it so you sound educated. Then you vote liberals in. Comments are pure liberal trash.

'Nuff said...no need to elaborate. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
CJC73 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
ok, received the stock in the mail over the weekend. The trigger guard and follower box fit great already. I'm debating getting a hinged floorplate so we'll see how that fits. barrel channel needs a lot of fitting. I need to get some long action screws for the barreled action for guiding into the stock at each fitting.

is a socket wrapped in sandpaper the best way to sand out the barrel channel? what grit is recommended?

First couple of pics...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ies/12913817/stock-shaping-and-finishing

Last edited by CJC73; 06/11/18.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CJC73
ok, received the stock in the mail over the weekend. The trigger guard and follower box fit great already. I'm debating getting a hinged floorplate so we'll see how that fits. barrel channel needs a lot of fitting. I need to get some long action screws for the barreled action for guiding into the stock at each fitting.

is a socket wrapped in sandpaper the best way to sand out the barrel channel? what grit is recommended?

First couple of pics...

Get some in letting screws... headless screws, essentially. They are worth the small price and then some.

Anyone that actually builds stocks cringes at the old socket trick... cutting multiple places at the same time is the best way to screw it up!

Instead, use barrel channel scrapers or chisels so you cut only the area your marking medium shows is high.

If you just have to use the socket, do only the bottom of the channel with a very under-sized socket and clean up the top edges very carefully after getting the bottom deep enough. Most socket jobs glare at you from across the room.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

First couple of pics...

The best way is the proper tool/tools like this:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ing-tools/barrel-bedder-jr-prod6797.aspx

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Jobs like that can't be rushed. While using inletting black and scraping the highlights is slow, it is precise. Besides, when done you'll say "Geez, that wasn't so bad and it didn't take as long as I thought it would."

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depending on how much you need to remove from the barrel channel, the hardest part is keeping everything straight and centered on the action inlet and stock centerline. This is critical in the final shaping and fitting. As Art suggests, get some action screws to hold the action in the same place every time you drop it in. If they are loose in the inlet holes, wrap tape around them until they are a snug fit so the action drops in exactly the same every time. If there is a lot of wood to remove for the barrel channel, very carefully draw some lines to the outside of the barrel while it is in place and carefully using a very sharp chisel, remove material slowly but stay back from your line. When you have removed enough material to save some time, but you are sure you aren't outside your barrel line, start using the inletting black or soot the barrel and check your progress. Take your time and take a break when you get tired or lose concentration. A chisel can be used to finish the work if you keep it very sharp, but I find the scraper better for the finish work most of the time. After you do one of these, you'll see what we are saying and the second and subsequent stocks will be much easier.

I find these type of scrapers can be really handy for some of the barrel channel work and are easier to keep sharp with a quick stone job for small removal chores.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...pers/hard-fit-curl-scrapers-prod398.aspx

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 06/11/18.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

First couple of pics...

Get some in letting screws... headless screws, essentially. They are worth the small price and then some.

Anyone that actually builds stocks cringes at the old socket trick... cutting multiple places at the same time is the best way to screw it up!

Instead, use barrel channel scrapers or chisels so you cut only the area your marking medium shows is high.

If you just have to use the socket, do only the bottom of the channel with a very under-sized socket and clean up the top edges very carefully after getting the bottom deep enough. Most socket jobs glare at you from across the room.

I’ve used the “socket method”. I used a dowel vs a socket and although it worked, Sitka Deer is right: It didn’t work as well as I thought and there are some gaps I’d rather not have.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Need tools, make or buy. Some here are so smart they can't tell you how to cut curly maple. Please tell. Every single part was hand made as were the tools, even the gravers. Sorry can'r post over a certain size when some fill the whole page. I got the other side I hope.

Attached Images
Carving.jpg (95.41 KB, 46 downloads)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes I am the brunt of jokes all the time. What I have in my safe or made can't be tagged for value to sell. Even my custom work on an original Enfield, finish and checker will not be evaluated.

Attached Images
enfield 2.jpg (79.76 KB, 57 downloads)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Make blocks and cherries to make bullet molds is a piddle for me. But all of you can do more. How about my bullet from a .500 JRH at 50 yards?
I love to laugh at net experts. Keep me entertained. I was shooting 1/4' groups at 350 yards with a rifle and under 1" at 100 with revolvers when you were a stain in mom's pants. You could not find a nipple when I was shooting revolvers to over 600 yards.
Have fun, you do not hurt me at all. Play Candy Crush or another game. I bet you all that you have a phone in your pocket right now and your kids can't add 2+2 without one. I will give you a chunk of tool steel to make a Ruger transfer bar by hand, harden and temper. I messed up one only, my fault. Make mainsprings for flintlocks and frizzen springs that never break.
Sad bunch.

Attached Images
th_50yardswiththe500JRHBFR.jpg (3.77 KB, 45 downloads)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Make blocks and cherries to make bullet molds is a piddle for me. But all of you can do more. How about my bullet from a .500 JRH at 50 yards?
I love to laugh at net experts. Keep me entertained. I was shooting 1/4' groups at 350 yards with a rifle and under 1" at 100 with revolvers when you were a stain in mom's pants. You could not find a nipple when I was shooting revolvers to over 600 yards.
Have fun, you do not hurt me at all. Play Candy Crush or another game. I bet you all that you have a phone in your pocket right now and your kids can't add 2+2 without one. I will give you a chunk of tool steel to make a Ruger transfer bar by hand, harden and temper. I messed up one only, my fault. Make mainsprings for flintlocks and frizzen springs that never break.
Sad bunch.

If only we could all be as smart and talented as you. You remind of the Arschloch on here that ends every sentence with "Hint". A guy comes here asking for simple stock finishing advice and all you can do is brag up your own work and denigrate others. No one GAF if you can solder copper pipe- whoop-de-do. If you are so smart, why can't you handle the simple Attachment Manager and post large photos?

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sheister
Haven't been this entertained in quite some time. brf reminds me of someone, but for the life of me I can't remember his handle. Anyone remember the handle of the guy who went on the free African hunt with Saeed? This guys sounds just like him...

Wrong website- I believe Saeed is on Accurate Reloading.com

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
NOT, Because I will tell you how. But it makes me enemies.You do not dare go against the important slugs as I have. Over many years I have seen my stuff repeated over and over as I was found to be correct with no mention to me.
The thing is I do not want anything at all. But I have been sucked on big time to make another great. Actually more then one because gun rags have been saying things to match. I could care less if it helps anyone. The difference is I don't want fame or money or to cheat. If I can help, it is all I want. I will rub your butt raw if you are wrong, but I will never call you names.
Yet the harm done to me is never an issue. Maybe the mods should look at the mean persons that live here.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
All this guy needs is a Ten Gallon Stetson and a cigar crammed in his mouth. I guess hell, he musta been there. Every ten years or so someone comes along with a puffed up chest and a lot of hot air. If he did 1/10 the stuff he's bragged about there would be statues to him in every small town.

1/4" groups at 350 yards my sweet smelling arse. At least I can go to bed now with a chuckle.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

You will make a lot of friends and convert detractors with that, almost certainly. Good luck, good night, and goodby.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes I am the brunt of jokes all the time. What I have in my safe or made can't be tagged for value to sell. Even my custom work on an original Enfield, finish and checker will not be evaluated.

Laughiing!!! Just pulled up your photo... that is one ugly, artless POS! Clean across the country it screams amateur! The drop-magazine shaping would barely make a C in a Jr High wood shop class. The checkering is just a blob stuck in the middle of a ridiculous set of squiggles! Congratulations!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Laughiing!!! Just pulled up your photo... that is one ugly, artless POS! Clean across the country it screams amateur! The drop-magazine shaping would barely make a C in a Jr High wood shop class. The checkering is just a blob stuck in the middle of a ridiculous set of squiggles! Congratulations!

Glad you liked it. Not a new stock, original and the owner told me what he wanted. Sorry it does not meet your standards but you should show your work. With both hands up your butt I don't think you can cut one line in wood.

Attached Images
stain color.jpg (3.79 KB, 37 downloads)
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,828
Posts18,496,595
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.