Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a new to me 26 Nosler rifle headed my way next week...Former owner who had it built worked up a few different loads for it and included his brief findings with each load below.

I have ZERO experience shooting Bergers, Lapua, or JLK bullets...The BC of all 3 seem very close in tolerances...

My question to those of you familiar with the above bullets is how they perform at close range? Do they open up at at 150-250 yards on animals when speeding @ 3300 FPS? A recent thread indicated a top brand bullet named above, shot from a rig set up for LR shooting, made what should have been a terminal hit on a moose at close range...Moose was never recovered by the Outfitter for his client...

The Outfitter witnessed the solid hit and thought the only explainable reason for it not dropping where it stood, was the bullet didn’t expand at close range.

I will load for the rifle...My plans for it is limited in use...Aside from being a “Fun Gun” to punch targets at my 800 yard range, I will throw it in a hard case, keeping it my rig for long range shots on deer or a coyote watching me from afar....I will hunt it as my main rifle for Antelope...

I’ve had really good experiences with Barnes TSX, TTSX, and NAB’s...I know from many written testimonials, the Berger and Lapua 6.5 mm bullets are very accurate....Are they deadly at closer yardage’s?

***Rifle***
LIKE NEW! Custom Built 26 Nosler by MC Gunsmithing in Plains, Montana; Trued Remington 700 action; BDL Bottom metal; Lilja #6 stainless, fluted barrel finished at 26"....1:8 twist; KDF Sniper Muzzle Brake; Graphite Cerakote; Manners T2A Stock in Gap Camo (adjustable cheekpiece with KMW hardware); 3 Sling Swivel Studs(2 in front, 1 in back); MC Gunsmithing Custom Bolt Knob; Jewel Trigger; 20 MOA Nightforce picatinny base(glass bedded)

***Loads***
Shoots Berger 140 HVLDs .25-.3" @ 3360 fps; Shoots Barnes 127 LRXs under .5" @ 3300-3400+fps depending on load; Including: 29 loaded rounds...140 HVLDs @ 3360 fps; Will include load data; This is a Very Accurate, Long Range Rifle!

Thanks for any assistance. Beaver 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The moose scenario above doesn’t have enough details to form a decision on bullet performance as the animal wasn’t recovered. If I had to hazard a guess and assuming the placement was good it likely either penciled (bergers are known for this, a pin drill to each hollow point fixes it) or the bullet grenade on contact and didn’t penetrate at all.

Lots of guys like bergers and in an open area type scenario where tracking isn’t an issue I agree. My 6.5 WSM likes the 140 berger at 3220 FPS but I am hedging my bets on the 147 eld-m as it seems a bit stouter of bullet.

If it were me I would pm scenarshooter or hope he sees this thread. He has killed a literal ark of shït with 6.5’s. I believe he shoots the 139 scenar in his 6.5 4’s which is likely doing 3100-3200 if I had to guess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beaver,
I have used 140gr Bergers, 139gr Scenars,143gr ELD-X and 129gr TTSX. All except the TTSX are explosive at close range with the 26 Nosler. I settled on the 143gr ELD-X bullet for everything that I do with this rifle. I wouldn't use this rifle to much to punch paper with, it is around a 800 shot rifle then you are replacing the BBL.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
One more time: The idea of a bullet "not having time to expand because it was going so fast" is a myth.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
The moose scenario above doesn’t have enough details to form a decision on bullet performance as the animal wasn’t recovered. If I had to hazard a guess and assuming the placement was good it likely either penciled (bergers are known for this, a pin drill to each hollow point fixes it) or the bullet grenade on contact and didn’t penetrate at all.

Lots of guys like bergers and in an open area type scenario where tracking isn’t an issue I agree. My 6.5 WSM likes the 140 berger at 3220 FPS but I am hedging my bets on the 147 eld-m as it seems a bit stouter of bullet.

If it were me I would pm scenarshooter or hope he sees this thread. He has killed a literal ark of shït with 6.5’s. I believe he shoots the 139 scenar in his 6.5 4’s which is likely doing 3100-3200 if I had to guess.

Mallard, good point on the moose hit...I don’t know anymore than what an the Outfitter on the Fire wrote about his brief experience with bullet...Pat is off today killing bears. I will send a PM when he gets back...Thanks. Mark 😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
One more time: The idea of a bullet "not having time to expand because it was going so fast" is a myth.

Math, then the above three bullets I asked about would either have no issues at close range. Or, the jacket/tip is the perpetrator of possible close opening issues...You have no experience with any above either way? Just speed doesn’t kill...Got it, Thanks. 😎

“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If they have issues about not opening it isn't because of speed. There could be another reason if they don't open.

I have experience with Berger VLD Hunting bullets but not out of a 26 Nosler. No problems with expansion. I emphasized the hunting label because there are some folks hunting with Berger's match bullets which are tougher than their hunting ones. (No, that's not backwards, you just have to know Berger VLD history.)

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jetbrook
Beaver,
I have used 140gr Bergers, 139gr Scenars,143gr ELD-X and 129gr TTSX. All except the TTSX are explosive at close range with the 26 Nosler. I settled on the 143gr ELD-X bullet for everything that I do with this rifle. I wouldn't use this rifle to much to punch paper with, it is around a 800 shot rifle then you are replacing the BBL.

Thanks Jetb...There is no question about a new barrel being needed in a couple years with my round count typically in 300-400 annually... After a little more information is dropped on my head by those like yourself...I will likely order up some 139gr Scenars, 140gr NAB’, 140gr Bergers, and try some JLK 140gr VLD’s....I appreciate your input. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
If they have issues about not opening it isn't because of speed. There could be another reason if they don't open.

I have experience with Berger VLD Hunting bullets but not out of a 26 Nosler. No problems with expansion. I emphasized the hunting label because there are some folks hunting with Berger's match bullets which are tougher than their hunting ones. (No, that's not backwards, you just have to know Berger VLD history.)

Math, thanks! I stay in my lane with “Hunting” type bullets. LR, Match, and alike don’t give me happy thoughts. So many guys really know their schit when it comes to loads, bullets, BC, and seating depths for different types of shooting situations...

I don’t expound very much when discussions are about loads because, though I have a large selection of rifles that I hunt with and shoot regularly near and far for practice. I build a load for each rifle for hunting. I have magnums that seem to have no issue with a small jump. But, several of my centerfire single feeders that prefer a slight kiss...Once, I’m done finding my load. I don’t change it, just shoot the recipe...This makes me very limited and IMO, unhelpful to someone seeking information on developing a load. Way more knowledge available from others than me...Hence, I’m asking for info on new bullets I have never shot. Thanks again for explaining...Mark 😎

“Molon Labe”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Beaver,

Just an observation - it seems to me that for any close range shooting with the 26 Nosler a Berger might be my last choice. They are designed to open violently after several inches of penetration, and I would be concerned at the very high velocity of the 26 Nosler at close range.
On the other hand, at extremely long range a Berger might be one of my first choices due to the guaranteed expansion at very low velocity.

I have a new rifle in 26 Nosler that hasn't made it to the range yet, but I have been researching bullet selection as well.

I consulted with Dirtfarmer here, as he has done quite a bit of work with the 26 Nosler, and be pointed me to the following thread:

www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12296534/2

Dirtfarmer said that his hunting buddy likes 140 NAB's, but he prefers the 120 TTSX/E-Tips.

He said he couldn't tell much difference with terminal performance, 140 NAB at 3,250 or 120 TTSX/E-Tip at 3,450... Both shooting near half MOA out of 26" Shilen barrels.

Maybe these don't have the BC you are looking for, but for closer range shots you may want to hedge towards a tougher bullet.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Whelen...Appreciate the input and the link...I hope the rifle will like 140gr NAB’s. It’s my favorite bullet for hunting. 😎

“Molon Labe”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had been looking for a 257Wby for more of a flat shooting point-and-shoot rifle out to 400 yards when I stumbled across my 26 Nosler at a price that I couldn't pass up.

The only range longer than 300 yards is a 2-hour drive away (and it is only 500 yards), and my typical shots on game can stretch to 400 yards, but the average is less than 200.

So I am going to start with the 120TTSX/E-Tip based on DF's feedback, and the desire for a pretty tough bullet.

I'll try the 140NAB's or search for a higher BC bullet when/if I ever get to stretch it's legs.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're worried about bullets coming apart then I would look into some of the mono bullets especially at 26Nosler speeds. Cutting edge, hammer or Barnes. Personally the 140gr berger is a great bullet as is the Scenar.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Seems like a pretty tough task, to ask a bullet to: have the integrity to hold together and dig deep at 3300 fps crash speed, then expand at lower ‘“long range” velocities.... many have tried.

The Jordan Special Two-Load strategy might be your best bet. You could Warp Speed a 120/127 Barnes from the muzzle to 400, then go with any of your VLDish offerings for extended range shots.

I don’t run any big 6.5s.... but we do shoot a lot of .260. We’ve killed with the Berger, Scenar, Accubond, and Amax.... anymore, we’ll shoot the 127 LRX at everything. I’ve run them to 1/2 mile, they shoot well, and the BC seems to be about .525. That’s leaving a lot of BC meat on the bone.... but I doubt you’d ever stop one.

3300+ fps, with a .500+ BC, and a bullet that can smash both shoulders of the biggest ungulate you could find.... doesn’t seem like a bad place to be.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Seems like a pretty tough task, to ask a bullet to: have the integrity to hold together and dig deep at 3300 fps crash speed, then expand at lower ‘“long range” velocities.... many have tried.

The Jordan Special Two-Load strategy might be your best bet. You could Warp Speed a 120/127 Barnes from the muzzle to 400, then go with any of your VLDish offerings for extended range shots.

I don’t run any big 6.5s.... but we do shoot a lot of .260. We’ve killed with the Berger, Scenar, Accubond, and Amax.... anymore, we’ll shoot the 127 LRX at everything. I’ve run them to 1/2 mile, they shoot well, and the BC seems to be about .525. That’s leaving a lot of BC meat on the bone.... but I doubt you’d ever stop one.

3300+ fps, with a .500+ BC, and a bullet that can smash both shoulders of the biggest ungulate you could find.... doesn’t seem like a bad place to be.

Yup. The original owner has already solved your dilemma. He’s getting 0.5” out of the 127 LRX.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Berger’s, I see their BC numbers .600. I hear the guys extolling the VLDs performance on both accuracy and killing not just 6.5mm but almost across the board on many calibers...But, here’s the truth, and it’s self inflicted voodoo to me..

Berger, I remember years ago when they were really ramping up the media and marketing for their bullets and they had a LR show where hunters, men, woman and young hunters of legal age would launch Berger’s at sizable elk and large bodied deer.

That was basically the show....Watch us yard sale Bergers up the tops of mountains or waaay down the canyon ravines killing schit...I know I sound a bit hypercritical since “I approved this message” on making ethical LR shots if you got the time behind the scope and know your rifle, optics, and cartridge, blah, blah....But, fuuck it!!! I know or strongly believe the Berger dudes wounded a lot of schit making those shows over time...That’s the main reason I’ve never loaded for them...F’n stupid? Possibly...

The original 26N owner had his best groups .25-.3” with VLDs... I’m passing the Bergers and going seconds on the Barnes 127 LRX bullets and 140g NAB’s...And, a helping of 139g Scenars so I can say I’ve shot them...

I need to go “smudge” my loading bench now to chase away any Berger demons....👹👺😎

Last edited by Beaver10; 05/12/18.

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If you have never shot Bergers,how do you know what the "truth" is?? Just curious as they have been instant death for me on numerous occasions...From 20 yards to this shot at 433 the results have been the same..

Last edited by Santiam; 05/12/18.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Santiam
If you have never shot Bergers,how do you know what the "truth" is?? Just curious as they have been instant death for me on numerous occasions...

Reading comprehension not your thing, huh?

He’s not talking about the “truth” of performance.... he’s talking about the “truth” of his own perception of Berger as a company.

It’s political.... not performance.

I’m sure there’s a lot of wounded game involved with hunting shows..... that’s never shown.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That can be with any show...Stupid truth if you ask me.. wink

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Didn’t say I agreed...... just writing it in crayon for you.

PS.... nice buck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 79 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,530
Posts18,530,881
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.