Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
CJC73 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm debating purchasing a Bishop wood stock that is not finished, needs final sanding and minor inletting to specific action/barrel. Maybe some shaping around the cheek piece. First of all, these stocks any good?

Any recommendations on who could do the finishing work? I am still tossing around doing it myself depending on how much I spend on the stock as is.

Thanks all...

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I used a couple Bishop stocks in another life long ago and far away. Basically you get out of them what you put in. I never saw one that a rasp couldn't wrestle it into a more pleasing shape. Everyone's aesthetics are different, only you can decide.

As for finishing, there are many ways to skin that cat. You brought it up here so there will be ideas, claims, and procedures spewing like lava out of Mt. Aetna. Stand back. (And yes, it's not rocket science. You seem like a steady fellow and you should be able to handle this yourself.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
CJC73 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
yeah, that was asking for a plethora of responses laugh

thanks...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I liked the old Bishops stocks not familiar with the new ones. Do a search on finishing gun stocks there is lots of info and lots of methods. Unless you want the practice I would recommend getting the best wood you can afford as it is the same amount of work to finish a plain piece of wood as an exhibition piece.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CJC73
yeah, that was asking for a plethora of responses laugh

thanks...

Oh yes, you have a plethora!

Inletting was generally pretty nice on the Bishop stocks. There is usually a lot of extra wood that can be reshaped to a more slim, trim, profile, if that tickles your fancy.

There are a plethora of stock finishing recipes out there. Many if not most being pretty good. Which to select depends mostly on how much effort you want to expend.

Here's a recent topic on the subject: http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/6991085142

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bishop,Rhinehart, Fajon(sp) use to be the more popular names in stocks about 30 years or so ago. As IRC, they went out of business.I don' t know if Richards is still in business, but I think so.They all had different grades of wood and models of different stocks to pick and chose from.I still have some of their catalogs.

Final inletting and finish, as Gonahhh stated, isn't rocket science.Patience and attention to detail is required

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Laurel Mountain stain is the best and will reflect wood as you move it to get light to different grain. Deep, like under glass.
Tru Oil is best with Tung oil second. Fill the grain until like a glass plate with Tru Oil only. Much work and time.
Then thin the oil and use a touch up spray gun to spray a coat without runs. Let get tacky and spray again, over and over so each coat melts and blends with each other. You will get one thick layer that way instead of many hard layers that rub through. Let dry until no odor is smelled, weeks if needed. I have propped the stocks in the truck cab in the sun to speed it up. Do not hurry, it must be dry. Now you can rub it out with what you want without breaking through a layer. The secret is one thick coat, not a thin layer that is hard under another.
A $300 plank of fine wood made into a stock is junk if you rub through. I bought planks from a kiln and pre cut them to store and dry much more before inletting and shaping.
I hated pre inletted stocks since none fit anyway. They leave wood for fit. I have chainsawed trees into planks to make stocks but the moisture content is critical before the work.
I had a white oak struck by lightning and sawed it up. I pre cut a little over, stacked and stickered in the basement for a month, dry, 35 to 40% humidity. Made a pie safe for the wife and in 20 years it is still the same with all perfect fit.
Flintlock dried better. Maple plank from a kiln.

Attached Images
pie safe.jpg (89.84 KB, 96 downloads)
Carving.jpg (95.41 KB, 86 downloads)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two Fajen-stocked rifles, both 25-06's. One in Maple with the original 'Fajen' plastic butt plate, the other in walnut with a rubber recoil pad. Beautiful pieces of wood.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Laurel Mountain stain is the best and will reflect wood as you move it to get light to different grain. Deep, like under glass.
Tru Oil is best with Tung oil second. Fill the grain until like a glass plate with Tru Oil only. Much work and time.
Then thin the oil and use a touch up spray gun to spray a coat without runs. Let get tacky and spray again, over and over so each coat melts and blends with each other. You will get one thick layer that way instead of many hard layers that rub through. Let dry until no odor is smelled, weeks if needed. I have propped the stocks in the truck cab in the sun to speed it up. Do not hurry, it must be dry. Now you can rub it out with what you want without breaking through a layer. The secret is one thick coat, not a thin layer that is hard under another.
A $300 plank of fine wood made into a stock is junk if you rub through. I bought planks from a kiln and pre cut them to store and dry much more before inletting and shaping.
I hated pre inletted stocks since none fit anyway. They leave wood for fit. I have chainsawed trees into planks to make stocks but the moisture content is critical before the work.
I had a white oak struck by lightning and sawed it up. I pre cut a little over, stacked and stickered in the basement for a month, dry, 35 to 40% humidity. Made a pie safe for the wife and in 20 years it is still the same with all perfect fit.
Flintlock dried better. Maple plank from a kiln.

Wow! Just WOW!

Shaking my head...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, I didn't want to be the first to comment on that. I think I'll go have a beer instead of trying to straighten that mess out.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Yeah, I didn't want to be the first to comment on that. I think I'll go have a beer instead of trying to straighten that mess out.

I doubt that mess can be straightened...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Using a Bishop stock. That must have been left over from days gone by - not that there's anything wrong with that. Best of luck - it's always satisfying to get a nice finish on a piece of wood.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm debating purchasing a Bishop wood stock that is not finished, needs final sanding and minor inletting to specific action/barrel. Maybe some shaping around the cheek piece. First of all, these stocks any good?

Any recommendations on who could do the finishing work? I am still tossing around doing it myself depending on how much I spend on the stock as is.

Thanks all...

Minor inletting?

My experience with these "90% inletted" stocks is that 90% of the wood has been removed, but 90% of the work remains.

Nothing wrong with that. Good luck, and have fun with it. Take your time - only work on it for an hour or two at a time - the results will be better.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las

Thanks all...

Minor inletting?

My experience with these "90% inletted" stocks is that 90% of the wood has been removed, but 90% of the work remains.

Nothing wrong with that. Good luck, and have fun with it. Take your time - only work on it for an hour or two at a time - the results will be better.

Like most stock work, the last 10% of the work takes 90% of the effort...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Had to research things a bit due to the ridiculous nature of the post by brfshooter...
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12889065/1

You cannot make up this kind of joke!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a deserving kid wistfully looking at some custom rifles, wishing he could afford something different from an off-the-shelf gun but at the same kind of money. I had a BRNO milsurp barreled action with a minty bore gathering dust, and an old pre-inlet black walnut Bishop stock that I had taken in trade in a weak moment. I set about polishing and rust bluing that turd of a barreled action, welded on an Oberndorf-style bolt handle, mounted a decent scope, and let it into the wood (not necessarily in that order). I then took a rasp to it- removed the cheek piece, slimmed it down by (seemingly) half, fitted a M70 butt plate and ebony grip cap, and chased the neatest schnabel into the fore arm tip that I ever executed. That gun finished up looking pretty sweet, even with the plain vanilla wood (and it shoots lights out). It remains the guy's favorite rifle which he proudly puts up against his buddies guns at every opportunity. I wish I had taken pictures. It took little effort on my part to give a kid a leg up- we gotta give back to the hobby now and then or we're all doomed.

Just goes to show that there are treasures buried inside of even the most mundane Bishop and Fajen pre-inlets of yore. It just takes a bit of imagination and patience to bring them to light.

Edit: And no, I didn't use Tru Oil or tung oil, or any other kind of oil. I knew the gun would be used hard in all manner of weather conditions so I gave it 10 coats of spar varnish rubbed out with 320x between coats to give a glass smooth finish that'll shed water like a duck's ass. Final rub out and waxing made for a subtle finish that some yahoos thought was an oil finish. I left it un-checkered- there are some limits to my generosity!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/30/18.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by las

Thanks all...

Minor inletting?

Exactly right. When I was 'building' ships, those a little less knowledgeable would wonder 'Why did the get the ship to 95% complete in 6 months but it took 4 months to do the last 5%'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The last wooden sailboat my buddy and I built, a 35' Sparkman&Stevens Pilot, only took us 5 months to lay the keel and scantlings and skin the hull (cold molded). It took us another two years to finish it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My understanding from comments is most want a 1 day oil rubbed finish. It can take weeks to fill the grain alone but you want a custom stock in a few hours.
Just paint with grey deck paint.
Checker? I bet there might be one here that can do it, the rest will pay to have it done. I can tell with one question, when do you checker?
"My stock has 50 coats of linseed oil, M1 rubbed every day so it must be thick." Brilliant!
Have fun guys, I just chuckle over you that hate me, it shows a lack of smarts with no experience at all. Strange nobody shows pictures either. I would expect you would want to show your work.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
My understanding from comments is most want a 1 day oil rubbed finish. It can take weeks to fill the grain alone but you want a custom stock in a few hours.
Just paint with grey deck paint.
Checker? I bet there might be one here that can do it, the rest will pay to have it done. I can tell with one question, when do you checker?
"My stock has 50 coats of linseed oil, M1 rubbed every day so it must be thick." Brilliant!
Have fun guys, I just chuckle over you that hate me, it shows a lack of smarts with no experience at all. Strange nobody shows pictures either. I would expect you would want to show your work.

Where are your pictures?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,289
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.