Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
My wife has just retired from teaching 30 years and now we will have some time to get away for quick over night get aways. Wondering about a houseboat, we both like being on the water, it would be less than 1 1/2 hour drive to get there. dock fees, insurance and electricity would be less than $250 a month. Whats the other expenses out there? We are just starting to think about this, what is the pros and cons ? We have a 5th wheel camper now, but with a boat we could just take the car and not the truck and would be there all ready to use. thanks Darrell

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd plan at least twice that $$ just for maintenance.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having lived aboard my boats for 1/2 of my 74 years I must tell you that your estimate is a fraction of actual cost, once you add in stuff like maintenance, property tax, upgrades, etc.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend is selling his pontoon houseboat. It's at Lake Powell, comes out of the water and into storage every winter. Dock fees are far more than $250/mo, I doubt you'll find dock fees that cheap anywhere.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I think it would be fun to have one. I have a ski boat, we are always spending money on it for something.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We had one for years. We always counted on 10% of purchase price of boat for annual expenses. Unfortunately, that never was enough. There will almost always be something to fix and spend money on. Also, with the new guidelines for waist disposal, you will have pumping as well. We did not have that. We just cruised into the Atlantic Ocean and dumped around five mile out. Our houseboat was a blue water houseboat with twin Mercs, not a box type. That said, we truly enjoyed the boat and if close enough to the ocean or large lake again, would do it all over. Have fun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope that you like working on stuff. A boat is constant maintenance. Having to pay someone else to do it can get expensive. It is much better to keep things in good shape, and fix things before you have a problem. A basic course in electronics and one in engine repair would be very helpful if you don't already have skills in those areas.

Harry
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
They say the two best days in a boat owners life is, #1 the day they buy it,.... and #2 the day they sell it!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just rent one when the mood strikes. I've done that and it's great fun, and I've owned many other boats. I strongly encourage you NOT to buy one. You are seriously underestimating the cost and headaches involved.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boat

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

We sold out last boat in the fall of the year. The spring before we sold it, I got it ready to take to the lake for a test ride since it had sat over the winter. $240 for two marine deep cycling batteries and $140 to renew my SeaTow membership and it had not even left the driveway! The next spring after I sold it, I told my wife I was amazed at how much more money I had. I cant imagine what the cost would be if it stayed in the water all the time. If it was me, I would find a house boat you could rent for the weekend and do it that way. You would end up spending less in the long run.

Last edited by dsink; 05/16/18.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by cast10K
Just rent one when the mood strikes. I've done that and it's great fun, and I've owned many other boats. I strongly encourage you NOT to buy one. You are seriously underestimating the cost and headaches involved.

++++ on the rental
The larger marinas around here are even starting a dues type membership deal. For a membership fee, any of the boats in their program are available to their members on a discounted reservation/rental basis. They have access to house boats, cruisers, pontoon boats etc... With None of the boat owner headaches.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Iam 69 years old and have captained and crewed on several big steel cruisers, commercial fishing and tourist charters. Live-abounds from 38 to 55 ft. It’s a wonderful life out on the big lake and I sometimes still crew just for the fun of it for no pay.

I know of a well-found steel cruiser with a beautiful Cummins diesel 55 fter for sale locally for about the same price as a nice bass boat. If I were 30years old I would hock my soul to own that boat. But I’m not that young anymore and have owned my last big boat.

I presently own a 12 ft skiff with 10hp Honda for fishing small inland lakes, also have a 14ft smokercraft with 30hp Merc, got a 19ft homemade welded aluminum skiff with a 75hp Merc and a 18ft Crestliner with 115hp 4-stroke. Got it covered for nice weather and if it ain’t —I ain’t going.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Kkahmann, I looked for a deck barge for quite a while that I could do commercial and residential maintainenance on our area lakes.
There was just not any availability for what I was looking for in my area. I'm still keeping my eyes open tho.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
They say the two best days in a boat owners life is, #1 the day they buy it,.... and #2 the day they sell it!
BTDT, but I'd swap those two days around.. laugh

Originally Posted by cast10K
DING!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
limofarm,

Over the last 4 decades plus, our family has owned TWO houseboats. =
One was 26 feet x 9 feet & was powered by an OB motor.
(SLO-POKEY was our "weekend retreat".)
The other was 16x42 & was powered by a 50HP diesel inboard.

Note: When I was stationed in Savannah, GA long ago with the USA, I leased/lived aboard a 42 foot houseboat for nearly 3 years.

Fwiw, I'm now fully retired & am planning to build a 24x56 foot "condo on a barge" for Darla & I to retire to in the Rockport, TX area. = The "house" will be 16x44 feet or 704SF.
(MV DAYDREAMS will be powered by a "marinized" 6.9 International Harvester NA diesel engine, out of a 1987 Ford F250, driving a BIG/slow-turning prop with an "old school" marine gearbox.).
She will have 2 staterooms, 1.5 heads, a full galley, a large living area & a utility room. There will also be spacious covered decks fore & aft. - The roof will sport a solar-panel "farm" & a sunbathing/picnic area.

Pardon me for disagreeing with some members here but living aboard FULL-TIME is MUCH cheaper than a condo of the same size ashore. = For example: FEW TAXES to be paid, generally LESS electricity cost for AC (presuming that you are in an area where "Winter" is 2-3 weeks total) & most houseboats have LESS complex systems "to go wrong", if you are reasonably handy at ordinary maintenance.
(What IS expensive is living ashore part of the time & afloat the rest of the year.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 05/16/18. Reason: addenda

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lived on every style of boat there is, including a houseboat. Good times and cheap living because I didn't own and pay for a house. Two were 30's vintage wooden cruisers which I restored. Virtually everything I know about woodcraft came from there. And maintaining Packard straight 8's. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
DigitalDan,

GREETINGS to another "live aboard guy".

In my "Savannah period", I was single & had a procession of SCAD grrls on the HB. = My SOLE "problem" was a NOSEY woman on another boat, who constantly called the SPD to complain about my (then) "very well endowed" GF walking about on deck, clad only in a lace mid-thigh length top & sandals. = Glenda's outfits generally "won the prize" for "MOST UNDRESSED", on most warm days.
(SCAD coeds are NOT known for their modesty in dress. - FACT.)

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by satx78247
limofarm,
Pardon me for disagreeing with some members here but living aboard FULL-TIME is MUCH cheaper than a condo of the same size ashore.

OP states he would not be living full time on the boat, so you're actually not disagreeing with anybody.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by satx78247
limofarm,

Over the last 4 decades plus, our family has owned TWO houseboats. =
One was 26 feet x 9 feet & was powered by an OB motor.
(SLO-POKEY was our "weekend retreat".)
The other was 16x42 & was powered by a 50HP diesel inboard.

Note: When I was stationed in Savannah, GA long ago with the USA, I leased/lived aboard a 42 foot houseboat for nearly 3 years.

Fwiw, I'm now fully retired & am planning to build a 24x56 foot "condo on a barge" for Darla & I to retire to in the Rockport, TX area. = The "house" will be 16x44 feet or 704SF.
(MV DAYDREAMS will be powered by a "marinized" 6.9 International Harvester NA diesel engine, out of a 1987 Ford F250, driving a BIG/slow-turning prop with an "old school" marine gearbox.).
She will have 2 staterooms, 1.5 heads, a full galley, a large living area & a utility room. There will also be spacious covered decks fore & aft. - The roof will sport a solar-panel "farm" & a sunbathing/picnic area.

Pardon me for disagreeing with some members here but living aboard FULL-TIME is MUCH cheaper than a condo of the same size ashore. = For example: FEW TAXES to be paid, generally LESS electricity cost for AC (presuming that you are in an area where "Winter" is 2-3 weeks total) & most houseboats have LESS complex systems "to go wrong", if you are reasonably handy at ordinary maintenance.
(What IS expensive is living ashore part of the time & afloat the rest of the year.)
yours, tex

That sounds interesting. Are you building from a set of plans and, if you are, whose plans?

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
What's the old saying "If it flies, floats or f###s....rent it."? It's something like that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 1234, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,768
Posts18,515,526
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.