Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very nice. I would like to hunt with a Classic Double but the closest I have come is with a Kodiak muzzle loader. I grew up shooting SxS shotguns so the transition would be easy for me. They are very practical for heavy cover and the panache and aplomb is off the charts. Nice rifle CRS.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tejano,

Thank you for the compliment on the rifle. Fortunately, it shoots as good as it looks. 50 yard regulation target below:

[Linked Image]

You are correct WRT smooth transition from double guns to double rifles. I grew up shooting a Parker 20 and my primary shotguns are 20 and 12 Parker repros.
This Simson double rifle comes up just like my Parker 12 and is dead on - tang safety, double triggers, all good. hardly need the sights.
The scope is for longer distances and I used it on the Nilgai while recovering from an operation on my shooting eye.

Last edited by crshelton; 04/16/18. Reason: update

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I love Parker shotguns esp the small bores. The reproductions are as good a SXS for the money as anything there is.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have never held or seen a double rifle. Wouldn't mind having one, if someone else bought it for me! Only think I think I'd do with one is tell people I have one. I've read that the barrels are set so that at some distance the bullet's cross, not sure how that work's. At one time I really had the hot's for a Ruger #1 but that wish is gone! I like my both action's and push come's to shove, they are what I'd grab. Got to admit though, that double shown here is one beautiful gun!

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've convinced myself that a double in .44 special would the perfect pig gun, now just to save up to have one built

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

At one point I had to have a double rifle and the fact I had no practical use for it mitigated me spending more than I did. Still a mid-grade Chapuis even in 9.3x74 (but with a wood upgrade) thins the wallet pretty good.

For me the 9.3 is one of the neatest cartridges going, tall, slim; gracefull like a ballerina — until you send a 286-gr Oryx downrange from a double of about proper 28 gauge heft.

At a time of life when bespectacled eyes were already feuding with open sights I could just get orange-sized four-shot groups at 100 yds but I was satisfied. It took it to Nebraska and neatly double-tapped a nine hundred pound, buffalo heifer at about a 100 yds running broadside to me. While my first shot was right on and enough, I had to send a second of course, and that one went a bit back.

If one wanted to haunt the whitetail woods or timber for elk with a double rifle, a 9.3x74 would be a good choice and mine. It might be thought of as the slightly slimmer, more delicate brother of the 375 H&H with even more of the 375’s good manners, which is not a bad thing at all in a light, beautifully made rifle.

Great fun. Nice guns. A dandy cartridge. And the meat was good too.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The 9.3x74 cartridge is down right sexy. Wanted one in a drilling or double but practicality and budgets overruled this. I saw a "pilots" version military issue survival rifle that I could have swung for but was gone by the time I made up my mind. Also ammo was pretty scarce at that time.

I have always thought the Kodiak double muzzle loader would be a great hog rifle if using black powder. There are usually chances at a double and good to have when the pigs run the wrong direction, like when a whole pack thinks it can hide in the smoke from the initial shot.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a black powder Pedersoli .50 cal double rifle on deer

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I would love a double rifle, but I guess I'll just shoot twice with my bolt gun if I have to..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.