-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of big cats in Mexico and South Texas.

[Linked Image]

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Did you try reading the caption? It plainly states there it's a jaguar not a mountain lion or panther.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a few years back I knew 4 people along the blue ridge mountains that claim to have all seen a black panther around there yards. all these sightings were within a weeks apart and none of these people knew each other. they all said the cat was solid black.i know there are mountain lions here .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Lots of big cats in Mexico and South Texas.

[Linked Image]

That coon be hidin' under the feeder til the big boys go away! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've lived in Georgia all my life. I've hunted from Alaska to Florida and thought I'd seen most things in the wild. I have a BS degree in Biology and understand that no one has ever scientifically documented the presence of a black phase Panther, Cougar or Mountain Lion. What ever name you want to call it. All my life I have heard of people that have seen a cougar and some that have seen a black cougar. People that I know and trust have seen one and watched it for a while. They know what a house cat looks like, a black bear, an otter, a black lab, all the normal black critters. What they saw isn't one of those. I've always wondered why no good clear pictures could have been taken. Well, I know now.

This past January I was going deer hunting and driving down a dirt road. It was misting rain and had been all day. The road had cut banks on both sides that were about 4 feet high on the other side of the ditch. A "big black cat" with a long tail jumped down into the road probably 50 yards in front of my truck. It looked my way and took a step to the middle of the road then jumped to the top of the cut bank on the other side of the road and was gone. It wasn't a big wet bobcat, a black housecat, or any of the other normal black animals described by those that haven't seen one of these things. I also never thought it was a black cougar. The head looked a little different even though the cat did resemble a cougar in body shape. It looked to me to weigh about 30 pounds which would put it on the small side for a cougar.

I believe that what I saw was a black phase Jaguarundi. Black is a common color, the size is about right and the Jaguarundi is a diurnal cat, so seeing him in the middle of the afternoon would not be unusual. I checked with a friend that has seen a big black cat and he stated that the one he saw would have weighed about 30 to 35 pounds too. It turns out that in the last part of the 1800's or early part of the 1900's a man in Florida released some jaguarundis in Northern Florida in an effort to establish a viable population in that state. It would seem, from what I saw, that he was successful. This is the one explanation that makes the most sense to me and is one that fits what I saw.

I would never say that there is no such thing as a black phase cougar, just because on one has ever seen one. The absence of one in the scientific record doesn't prove that one doesn't exist. But for all these sightings of big black cats that I have been hearing about all my life and finally saw myself, the jaguarundi fits the description and there is reason for it to be in the area.

And no I didn't have time to take a picture, I never even thought about a picture while he was standing there. I was amazed at what I was seeing and more than a little in shock!

Harry
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mathsr, Thanks for posting that. It is a new wrinkle to me in this recycling topic.

As to recycling, I will add my usual comments numbers 2 and 3 plus personal experience # 5.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mathsr, thanks from here too, I believe that's the name I was told that my sighting might be

Jaguarundis live in Central and South America, and in the southern tip of Texas.

Doesn't seem impossible that one could have been in North Texas in the early fiftys.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I saw one in near Cameron, TX while hog hunting in 2000 or 2001. Wild or escaped, I don't know, but I'd swear to it on a stack of bibles.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Please stop the leopard comments....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

Did you try reading the caption? It plainly states there it's a jaguar not a mountain lion or panther.

Im not stuck on the panther aspect. Just the fact that it’s a long tail large black cat. They are out there.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
well, what ever you want to call it, a large long tail black cat was up in a tree by my house one night in the 70's in prescott. I wasn't the only one that saw it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
I saw one in near Cameron, TX while hog hunting in 2000 or 2001. Wild or escaped, I don't know, but I'd swear to it on a stack of bibles.

Saw one just outside Rio Grande City.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Probably a third to half of the mountain lion sightings here in Pennsylvania, people say, are black ones.

Steve.

More than that here in VA.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Saw a couple in Philadelphia a few years ago.....someone should’ve dropped both of them! whistle memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The last jaguar in this area was killed in 1929. Lots of people don't realize that the Big Thicket of SE Texas had the greatest concentration of black bears prior to the mid-1800's also. Now there's nothing but hogs and 'coons. There are however, drunks, pill-heads and dumbasses that see black panthers on a regular basis.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought you guys were going to show pictures of intimidation outside a conservative voting center.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

Im not stuck on the panther aspect. Just the fact that it’s a long tail large black cat. They are out there.

No one has denied that melanistic jaguars or leopards exist. Yet you seem to be bent on pulling up pictures of these animals up inferring that they are the non-existant "black" panther. What is your point?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I posted this as there were some who stated the animal outright did not exist.

Literally, a "panther" is a mountain lion. Or another word for it anyway.

A jaguar or leopard isn't a "panther" by any stretch.

So... a black panther does not exist. They were right. wink

the genus Panthera includes tigers, lions, jags, and leopards. The genus Puma includes the mt lion. Technically, a panther is one from the Panthera genus but it's commonly used for Pumas, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I posted this as there were some who stated the animal outright did not exist.

Literally, a "panther" is a mountain lion. Or another word for it anyway.

A jaguar or leopard isn't a "panther" by any stretch.

So... a black panther does not exist. They were right. wink

the genus Panthera includes tigers, lions, jags, and leopards. The genus Puma includes the mt lion. Technically, a panther is one from the Panthera genus but it's commonly used for Pumas, too.

Just not in the USA.

If people would quit posting crap about animals that are not native to here, I think it would do away with a lot of the controversy.

But then again, I reckon people can believe what they want.

I file them away right beside the flat earthers. laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 3,160 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,554
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.