-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of course the last thing I would think about if I had a "black panther" sitting in my driveway some afternoon would be to get some pictures or video. And obviously if I'm going to cite a source as evidence I wouldn't care to know if that source was credible. Why bother, right? About when did you call the MDC about wild/feral hogs in Missouri? I've been hunting hogs in Missouri since the early 90's and it's never been a mystery the hogs were here and the MDC was begging people to shoot them on sight. There are no limits and open season on hogs. MDC had lots of information both printed and online about hog populations in the state. Just very recently MDC changed some regulations about hog hunting on state lands so the hogs could be trapped without hunter interference. MDC has never denied the existence of wild hogs here. Ridiculous...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well, I don't know what to say- I called an office in Springfield, after a trip into the Piney Creek Wilderness about
1995-96, when I'd found a hog wallow, and they told me there weren't any. Sorry for offending you with my silliness,
but I sure wouldn't lead with my chin on here, if I wasn't sure of my own experiences.
I'll try to participate less in future, and let those who actually know things do all the talking.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Jaguars and leopards can be black phase, but mountain lions cannot.

Mountain lions are the only large cat in the USA, so unless a rare jaguar from Mexico came up here, and it happened to be the even more rare black phase, they just don't exist here in the states.

Finally, a voice of reason on the Campfire. Thank you for your post.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
They can exist without coming up from Mexico.
Could be an exotic that escaped.
Stuff happens.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Two hunting buddies were a few hours late getting to our hunting camp. When they showed up it was with a big tale about seeing a black panther on their way to camp. These were reputable guys that I had known for at least fifteen years, not prone to big fish of big buck stories, etc..

After listening to their story for a while the camp consensus was it could have been an unusually large feral tom cat that looked bigger through binoculars. Of course they were not accepting that, and they obviously had a few beers, and a frayed wire was hanging out the door which had been connected to a missing radar detector. I don't know for sure!

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The video several pages back showing the Black cat in Arkansas was filmed in North Mississippi. Northern edge of Senatobia. I remember seeing it on the Memphis news.
. I know someone that I trust that says he has seen a pair of Black cats bigger than a bobcat a few times in his back pasture. He doesn't make up stories. If he said it he believes it is true. What they are for certain I don't know. He said they are always running hard for the woodline when he sees them and he never has time to get the rifle out the truck window before they are gone.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've watched whitetails enough to see them turn dark as the light changes...

I'm sure thats what gets this going about them since they are not supposed to be able to be melanistic from what I hear.

I swear I saw one here in my teens late at night, but again while it was a big cat, it may not have been black but certainly appeared extremely dark.

My take, lighting makes a LOT of difference. Especially when they are not supposed to be able to be black

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by stxhunter
well i've never seen a black panther but i did see a couple monkeys cross the CR near where my parents had their ranch.

When I was in my late teens or early 20's a monkey escaped from the Ft. Worth Zoo. It made it's way a mile or so to a very affluent neighborhood called: Tanglewood. For months the monkey was spotted on rooftops and in peoples backyards. The fish and game people could not catch it, and calls from news organizations and television stations went unheeded as people set food out for the critter. I recall numerous sightings from personal friends. This lasted a few months and then suddenly the monkey was no more. The sightings and talk of the critter just ceased and media reports went silent.

Curious thing. No one knows what became of it, other than it just disappeared.

DMc

Vietnamese.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't tell Luke or Laton Smith on Lake Kiowa rd . east of Gainesville Tx black panthers don't exist. Last winter they were letting 20 or so goats clean up a well fenced pasture behind their house. Luke went to check them one morning and something killed 19 and packed one off. The next morning Laton saw a black as coal mountain lion sized cat in his driveway. $2000.00 turned to cat poop. Killed 19 and ate one.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by catosilvaje
Don't tell Luke or Laton Smith on Lake Kiowa rd . east of Gainesville Tx black panthers don't exist. Last winter they were letting 20 or so goats clean up a well fenced pasture behind their house. Luke went to check them one morning and something killed 19 and packed one off. The next morning Laton saw a black as coal mountain lion sized cat in his driveway. $2000.00 turned to cat poop. Killed 19 and ate one.

I wonder why none of those ever get shot?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rost495
I've watched whitetails enough to see them turn dark as the light changes...

I'm sure thats what gets this going about them since they are not supposed to be able to be melanistic from what I hear.

I swear I saw one here in my teens late at night, but again while it was a big cat, it may not have been black but certainly appeared extremely dark.

My take, lighting makes a LOT of difference. Especially when they are not supposed to be able to be black

I think you are right. I believe people in my neck of the woods who see "black panthers" are probably seeing Florida panthers in low light conditions. Anyone who hunts deer knows how dark they look right at sunrise or dusk, and the cats are very similarly colored.

Last edited by RJY66; 05/28/18.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 11 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.