S
Nice!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Got in a good morning work out. 10 minutes slow jog on the treadmill to warm up. Burpees with sandbag clean and presses. Then another 10 minutes on the treadmill. Off to work where every hour or so I slip into a quiet area and knock out a set of lunges. When I work this shift I always make myself do kettle bell swings before I take a cold shower and go to bed. Helps me sleep if nothing else.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did a hike with the dog yesterday. Probably do the same today.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Great morning sweat. Continuous sandbag work out. Squats, clean and press, lunges, push press, and stair climb while never setting the bag down. Kept it on my shoulders and paced about 30-40 seconds between exercises. After thirty minutes of that I rested five minutes and then did kettle bell drills for ten minutes straight. Kettle bell swings, one arm snatches, overhead carries, one arm swings and so on, again without setting the weight down. Its one of those perfect outdoor workout days. Sunny in the 60's with a breeze. Want to go for a hike, but I've got to go to work in a bit.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
yesterday was my final tuneup before the Bob Open; lots of snow!!! 20-ish miles, about 12 on snowshoes

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
yesterday was my final tuneup before the Bob Open; lots of snow!!! 20-ish miles, about 12 on snowshoes

What trails/area of the Bob are your running MTWarden? I worked for a couple of outfitters in the area in 97-98.

Up this morning and strapped on my weight vest. Took the dogs for a long walk. Really not a fun activity weighted down when the two butt sniffers have to stop and smell their pee mails, eat fresh grass, spazz out over rabbits, and in general be their normal under trained selves. Off today and it looks like rain. Probably won't get the lawn completely mowed and weed whacked like I planned, but I'll for sure get in a good work out this afternoon. I'm thinking weight vest stairs climbs with Turkish get ups at the top of each stair case climb.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good luck, what are the details on the race?

I took the dog out chasing pheasants yesterday. They're wild birds and they run like deer, they have to be really pressed before they'll flush. Since the dog lost his sight he hasn't been able to push them hard enough to flush, they just run off but he still likes to trail them. Yesterday was a milestone for him, he sniffed out a big rooster and pushed him hard enough to flush. When he came trotting back to me, he had a swagger in his step.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
24 miles on the bike Saturday AM. Then loaded 15 railroad ties in the back of my truck at the great Alaska Railroad used tie sale. I was the only one there that was loading solo, and I got some looks.

20 miles on the bike yesterday with 2300 feet of vertical.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
technically it’s not a race- no registration, no fees, no T-shirt smile it’s a small event, usually 10-20 folks starting

each year they pick a different starting and finishing point- (north to south, east to west, etc) how you get there is up to you- routes usually vary greatly, the shortest route is often not the quickest- typically distances are in the 110-120 mile range, this year we start at the N Fork of the Blackfoot (south end of the Bob) and finish at Marias Pass (north end)- my route is about 140 miles if everything goes as planned

you’re self supported, some of the guys pack small rafts-I’d need a lot more experience to ever consider that- especially with a year like this

we always have to deal with some snow on the passes, but this year we’ll be contending with snow almost everywhere

this will be my fourth year of doing it, I’ve finished all previous years- the attrition rate is normally about 40-50%- this year could be much higher, one year no one finished!!! laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dang. Sounds like a lot of fun, good luck!

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
Good luck, what are the details on the race?

I took the dog out chasing pheasants yesterday. They're wild birds and they run like deer, they have to be really pressed before they'll flush. Since the dog lost his sight he hasn't been able to push them hard enough to flush, they just run off but he still likes to trail them. Yesterday was a milestone for him, he sniffed out a big rooster and pushed him hard enough to flush. When he came trotting back to me, he had a swagger in his step.

I hope you dont make it a habit of harassing birds during nesting season.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hope you don't make it a habit of minding other people's business.

But its too late for that. Did you know that its difficult for a dog to pick up a hen pheasants scent when she's nesting?

Probably not.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
I hope you don't make it a habit of minding other people's business.

But its too late for that. Did you know that its difficult for a dog to pick up a hen pheasants scent when she's nesting?

Probably not.

Good stewardship and conservation mindset you have there....think its too late to go harass wintering big game animals?

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 05/21/18.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thank you. What do you know about these particular pheasants, and the impact of my dog occasionally chasing one? Let me answer for you: not a damn thing.

PS, I made a post over on the hunting rifles forum, and you haven't commented on it yet. Better hustle on over there, I might have said something you can be offended by. That seems to be something you're good at, getting offended.

"Jackson Handy, Wildlife Cop." That come with a plastic whistle?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
in other news smile Tiny Elvis and I got 3.5 miles in, a good climb at ~ 800’

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I just got back from the lake, took the dog for a walk and a swim. There were some walleye fishermen at the lake, they yelled at me, what with it being walleye spawning season and everything.

I think I came really close to being placed under citizen's arrest.

In other news, earlier today I did 20 minutes on the stair machine followed by 25 on the stationary bike. The ankle was really barking, I hope it didn't scare any wildlife.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thank you. What do you know about these particular pheasants, and the impact of my dog occasionally chasing one? Let me answer for you: not a damn thing.

PS, I made a post over on the hunting rifles forum, and you haven't commented on it yet. Better hustle on over there, I might have said something you can be offended by. That seems to be something you're good at, getting offended.

"Jackson Handy, Wildlife Cop." That come with a plastic whistle?

As an upland hunter with two britts, i dont know one dipshit that actively runs their dogs on wild birds this late in the spring. But what do i know....

In fact many states have laws against such activities. But go forth and harass.

P.s. im not a bha member, i dont get offended over forum posts. Stop your psychological projection...

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 05/21/18.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, well. Glad to be back and see not much has changed. Letting an old, blind Dog flush some Pheasants is a fine thing. Well done.

Stairmaster: 10minute warm-up

Romanian deadlifts-10-Stairmaster 1min-Seated rows-10-Stairmaster-1min
Romanian deadlifts-9-Stairmaster 1min-Seated rows-9-Stairmaster-1min
Repeat down to RD's-1-Stairmaster-1min-Seated rows-1-Stairmaster 1min

Roll-outs:2x23

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
5 mile run today.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

"Jackson Handy, Wildlife Cop." That come with aat plastic whistle?

As an upland hunter with two britts, i dont know one dipshit that actively runs their dogs on wild birds this late in the spring. But what do i know....

In fact many states have laws against such activities. But go forth and harass.

P.s. im not a bha member, i dont get offended over forum posts. Stop your psychological projection...

LOL, coming from someone who calls others "self-righteous," this is hilarious.

Jackson, you still don't know anyone who "actively runs their dogs on wild birds this late in the spring" so quit making stuff up. I know it's difficult for you to stick to facts but give a try, you might like it.

I rarely take the dog out after these pheasants because he has no eyes and it's hard for him to avoid the cactus and sagebrush. The other day was the first time (and only time) he's flushed a bird this spring. And as I said earlier, hens lose their scent on the nest, and this bird was a rooster. So stop your whining, no one and nothing was hurt.

Another thing you should know about these birds is that it's illegal to hunt where they're found and anywhere within miles of their location. Pheasant are non-native and they were introduced for one purpose--hunting. These will never be hunted nor will their offspring be hunted so a 12 year-old blind dog chasing one on occasion is harming absolutely nothing. The place where they live is over-populated with coyotes so the thought that a 12 year-old blind golden retriever will affect their population is ludicrous at best, you're really reaching but no surprise there. You're sole puprpose here is to stir up schit, so nothing's off the table I suppose.

As far as being illegal, so is letting the dog off-leash but I do that regularly too, so he can swim in the lake. You should call the Colorado 1-800 hotline and turn me in. Or maybe not. I've been contacted numerous times at this same location by CP&W employees with the dog off leash and never gotten even a stern talking to.

Because only a true a**hole would make a big deal about a harmless old blind dog having a little fun.

Last, your comment about BHA is telling. What does BHA have to do with this? Oh yeah, I forgot. Trashing BHA is your only reason for posting on the backpack forum. Good job.

Page 35 of 85 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 84 85

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 72 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,514
Posts18,509,439
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.