Hop To
#12872681 05/20/18
F
Fyrd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Has anyone had any experience with Covert Outfitters in Kalwona, BC? Headed up for a late November moose hunt this year and wondering if anyone had done any business with them.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A pard went up a couple years ago and got his shiras with kiff. Said he ran a good outfit.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fyrd;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that the weekend treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

If you've not already hunted up here, we've got a thread up top with some tips to travelling hunters who venture in and overall it's likely worth the read.

Please note that I don't have any information on the outfitter you've asked about, but since we've lived an hour south of Kelowna for the past 34 years I looked them up to see if I could ascertain where they're hunting.

As a broad statement, the moose populations all over BC have plummeted in the past decade - along with our mulie populations and there's a lot of finger pointing as to the possible causes, but suffice it to say, they're a mere shadow of what they were even that short time ago.

If it were me going moose hunting in our province, I'd want to talk to more than one former client of any outfitter, particularly the ones who did not shoot game. Ask some hard questions and take notes, you know?

If you were coming up to hunt black bears, I'd say something completely different, like please take home one under each arm and you shouldn't have any trouble doing just that. But you didn't ask about black bears sir, so I would suggest doing some careful research first.

Hopefully that was useful information to you or someone coming up here to hunt. Good luck whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just got back from hunting black bear at Monashee Outfitting. We saw many moose every day. I've hunted there for the last 5 years and have seen a lot of moose, both spring and fall. That would be a place I would be comfortable recommending for moose. It is odd that the area is managed to reduced moose numbers by having a liberal calve season. I've also killed moose at Ram Creek, but they have recently had their allocation reduced due to low numbers. I would still hunt there, but would not expect to see more than one good bull in a week of hunting.

Good luck to you and enjoy that great meat.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Kodiak, I hunted with Monashee (Brian Glaicar) for 5 years and finally arrowed a grizzly...at 13 yards and he ran past us at 2 yards with the arrow in him! Danged exciting! Too bad we can't 'em anymore in BC. Glad to hear moose numbers are doing OK over there.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kurt52
Kodiak, I hunted with Monashee (Brian Glaicar) for 5 years and finally arrowed a grizzly...at 13 yards and he ran past us at 2 yards with the arrow in him! Danged exciting! Too bad we can't 'em anymore in BC. Glad to hear moose numbers are doing OK over there.

They did an aerial wolf kill last winter and shot every wolf they could find. Brian said he thinks they got almost every one in his area. They are trying hard to save the caribou there, but the moose will probably benefit more. We did see caribou almost every day though, so that was encouraging.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Good news on the wolf reduction. The caribou were neat to see...saw them every day back in 2011 if memory serves me correctly. Shot the grizzly in '14 and definitely had seen a reduction in caribou as well as moose over the 5 springs I spent over there.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kurt52
Good news on the wolf reduction. The caribou were neat to see...saw them every day back in 2011 if memory serves me correctly. Shot the grizzly in '14 and definitely had seen a reduction in caribou as well as moose over the 5 springs I spent over there.

I think I was there the spring of 14 with my son. Maybe we shared the cabin. Are you an mining engineer?

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Yes, mining engineer/manager. Maybe was '13 when you were there with your son? I arrowed the grizzly the first day I was there in '14...after 60 some hunting days over the 5 years.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
May be. Pretty sure we overlapped with you one spring anyway. Brian tore down the main lodge and built a 3 story home. They live there year round now. It's very nice. My wife and daughter were there this spring and pretty impressed by the comfort.

Anyway, not to totally derail the thread. As far as moose, Monashee is an area I can recommend. I shot the smallest moose I saw at the end of my hunt last fall, as I was holding out for something really special. In hindsight, I should have shot the 50 inch bull I saw the second day and went goat hunting. Plenty of mature moose there with very little hunting pressure.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

455 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,642
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.