Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
This is beyond CBHS, getting into ACDS territory.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What game and where do you hunt, distance/conditions?

The Kimber Mt. Ascent is designed as a lightweight/flyweight hunting rifle and may well fail to show the accuracy potential in the CM.

The virtues of this round are many. It will not impress those who enjoy, or tolerate heavier recoiling, louder blasting magnum class rounds.

Some folks as 280fan mentions, like modest rounds, others something that gives confidence, via that higher recoil, as perceived greater reach/lethality. Depends on the application....game and distance.

I've had 7 mags, 243s, 260s.....and many more smaller and larger. For 99% of MY use, I have no desire for a 7RM, or 264. That said, for the hunter who wants to grab a rifle, if it's accurate with the chosen ammo, a magnum like the 264 are very capable, IF the shooter does not flinch and pull shots off vitals. Some hunters do not practice enough, as I have witnessed their shooting skills. Many want to OVER-GUN thinking purely in paper statistics ie. 300 WM owners. Their owners for the most part have been less impressive in their shooting skill. I realize there are others who do well with heavier recoiling rounds and they do well.

In the end, all that really matters is putting a good bullet thru vitals. However one accomplishes that task, is subjective. I've smiled watching deer drop at 400 yds with a 6mm BR. THAT impressed me, just as having firing sub 1/2" group at 330 yds......from a Ruger #1 at that.

A Creedmoor is one of the most accurate factory cartridges and encourages practice and shot placement, due to mild recoil and blast. Ammo affordability for non-handloaders also helps.

Not much has not been tried by wildcatters, and the few that survive the test of time, after commercialization do so for a reason. The Creedmoor has been well vetted, based on that huge offering of ammo and arms by the industry.

A gent who has owned a plethora or rifles and cartridges, and taught me handloading decades ago, was an adamant 264 fan.......until the past few years. He leaves the 264 now, and chooses to use an H&R in 25-06 that had a trigger job. Less recoil, resulting in smaller groups for him increasing his confidence, and he hits and drops his deer clean on pipeline shots. So it is I think MANY of today's Creedmoor fans.......they want shootable rounds of high accuracy potential. An HONEST Survey of a large # of hunters, might give a telling story on hits/misses and recovered vs lost game. Many blame a cartridge then UPGRADE to a larger round compounding the #1 problem. Getting rounds on target...thru vitals.

If you have a great 264 and shoot it well - no reason to not use it. I admire it's performance, just personally not had the need I suppose, in how I hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a 260 rem or 260ai will do what the 6.5 creedmoor does and a 243 and 243ai will do what the 6 creedmoor does

Not really. The real advantage a 6.5 or 6mm creed has over the 243 or 260 is the is the sharp shoulder angle. That is much easier to headspace to. Also the 260 rifles had too slow a twist, yes Remington screwed that up. Not as bad as the 244 Remington, but bad enough.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ilikeguns
thanks armednfree, in my original post I asked if such a caliber was out there and what it would be called, I figured it had been done already so now I know what its called.

dude270 I think the creedmoor is about the most useless idea the ammo makers have bestowed upon us in a long time...a 260 rem or 260ai will do what the 6.5 creedmoor does and a 243 and 243ai will do what the 6 creedmoor does. I have had a 6.5 creedmoor is a Kimber mt ascent and wasn't impressed with any aspect of the cartridge. if I want a 6.5 cartridge id rather dig my 264wm out of the back of the safe.

What do you think will impress you about .277 caliber bullets coming out of the same parent case as a 6.5 creedmoor?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
in my original post I simply asked if there were such a cartridge as a 6.8-250 savage or 270-250 savage and some info on it? we are at two pages now of opinions on how great other cartridges are or are not especially the creedmoor garbage. out of all this BS came one guy that could answer the question with a name of it and a couple with ways to where info could be found. this is why I hate posting about stuff is too many people value their own opinion on why "what you are doing or trying to do is wrong what they do is right" I never said I was building a rifle, I didn't ask for opinions on creedmoors or 308 based 270s. I don't know why everyone feels the need to give their opinion on stuff other than the what the post is about.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Conversations ramble this way and that, just roll with it and pay attention to or ignore different parts as you please.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So to clarify, you have an interest in a fast twist 6.8x250, which could launch HEAVIER bullets at slower speeds than a 308 case....all else equal.
Yet in 6.5 or 6mm, you prefer the 308 case. I get the brass thing, and you said you could sell them to fund another option.

Just trying to understand what factors impress you about a given round, since you "currently have nula's in 223, 280ai, 338x284, and 450 marlin."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 65BR
So to clarify, you have an interest in a fast twist 6.8x250, which could launch HEAVIER bullets at slower speeds than a 308 case....all else equal.
Yet in 6.5 or 6mm, you prefer the 308 case. I get the brass thing, and you said you could sell them to fund another option.

Just trying to understand what factors impress you about a given round, since you "currently have nula's in 223, 280ai, 338x284, and 450 marlin."

Sound to me like he has a wondering mind. Kind of "what if" and a postulation. Inquiring minds want to know. I like that, those people I can enjoy talking to. Other wise I quickly find them to be a dullard.

The dullards talk about people.
The common talk about events.
The intelligent talk about ideas.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 6.5 Creed is not really new. Slight alteration of a former wildcat. The 6.5 Redding S.A. Being clear, there is nothing you are going to do in this field that has not already been done. Slight differences, no meaningful differences.

Last edited by Armednfree; 04/30/18.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If I had a surplus of .277 bullets and 250 Savage brass, I'd think about selling the bullets and set up a faster than standard twist 250 Savage barrel.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Armednfree

Sound to me like he has a wondering mind. Kind of "what if" and a postulation. Inquiring minds want to know. I like that, those people I can enjoy talking to. Other wise I quickly find them to be a dullard.

Given your intelligence, Feel free to address my comments to the OP, FOR the OP. My inquiring mind wants to know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Armednfree

Given your intelligence, Feel free to address my comments to the OP, FOR the OP. My inquiring mind wants to know.

Actually I agree with you, both posts. Not much else to say. Other than the OP himself diverting from the original post. The point of conversation here is not a linear thing, it tends to take tangents. As long as it's not idiots taking stupid potshots at each other it's fine.

Last edited by Armednfree; 04/30/18.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nothing wrong with a .250 Savage....and a fast twist barrel.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a friend in Wyoming doing this very thing. He's using the 250 Ackley Improved case and wants to shoot the 100-120gr 270 bullets. He's doing it on a Mauser and will do most all the work himself. powdr

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Looneyism at its finest.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was just searching for 270 Savage dies to put a barrel to use. I have a SR Mauser and a S/S fluted barrel threaded for a SR Mauser. I need dies before I decide what to do with it. The 270 Redding (308 case) could be too much pressure once the rifle leaves my hands (unless I put the barrel on a Turk action). 270 Savage and Titus use the 300 Savage case. 270 IHMSA uses the 300 Savage case. RD Reamer lists a 250 AIx270 reamer for rent. I have an acquaintance that will let me use his 270 IHMSA reamer. Like I said, all I need is reasonably priced dies to help me make my decision.

I plan to call it a 6.8 Creedless

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Some people have too much time on their hands.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by montanabadger
Some people have too much time on their hands.

Or will execute all kinds of contortions to achieve somewhat sub-Creedmoor performance without having admit they "succumbed to the hype" and got a Creedmoor. grin

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I plan to call it a 6.8 Creedless

Why shortchange the poor cartridge? If truly as useless as some say the obvious moniker is 6.8 Feckless.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
270 Titus

[Linked Image]

LOL
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,162
Posts18,503,015
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.