Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Zeiss made a 3=9X40 Conquest that was parallax adjusted to 50 yards.There are still some around. The Nightforce 2.5-10X42 NXS has parallax adjustment to 10 yards. There may also be some of the newer tactical type scopes that have parallax adjustment for close range.

My personal favorite rimfire hunting scope for squirrels is the Leupold VX2 4-12 AO with fine duplex. It is light and will focus to about 25 yards on 12X and closer on lower power.

Thank you for the recommendation. I am interested in the Conquest scopes.

Can you tell me a little about the Nightforce? For example, is it available with a plex or No. 4 type reticle? Thanks!

GB1

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
Originally Posted by BlackBranchFarm

We have several of both sized EFRs, and prefer them to all others we have tried. I was just hoping there was something between the two Leupolds in magnification that was at least as good in quality. I have not found a foreign scope of sufficient magnification that will focus less than 50 yds. I am surprised by this, as at least Swarovski used to market a very nice Field Target scope for air rifles.

Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42. Better glass than a VX6, incredible reticle, solid, repeatable, focus down to 10 yds, lots of internal adjustment. Not cheap, but less than a VX6HD.

This is interesting, as I have contemplated their scopes before. I believe I could see the triangle reticle well, but would likely have trouble with close shots where I have to hold over the target. Do you find that to be true?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Zeiss made a 3=9X40 Conquest that was parallax adjusted to 50 yards.There are still some around. The Nightforce 2.5-10X42 NXS has parallax adjustment to 10 yards. There may also be some of the newer tactical type scopes that have parallax adjustment for close range.

My personal favorite rimfire hunting scope for squirrels is the Leupold VX2 4-12 AO with fine duplex. It is light and will focus to about 25 yards on 12X and closer on lower power.

Thank you for the recommendation. I am interested in the Conquest scopes.

Can you tell me a little about the Nightforce? For example, is it available with a plex or No. 4 type reticle? Thanks!

The Nightforce is nearly $2000. My point was though that some of the tactical scopes will focus very close.I wish I could put a Nightforce NXS on a great rimfire,but alas,my pocket is light.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We have several of both sized EFRs, and prefer them to all others we have tried. I was just hoping there was something between the two Leupolds in magnification that was at least as good in quality. I have not found a foreign scope of sufficient magnification that will focus less than 50 yds. I am surprised by this, as at least Swarovski used to market a very nice Field Target scope for air rifles.

Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42. Better glass than a VX6, incredible reticle, solid, repeatable, focus down to 10 yds, lots of internal adjustment. Not cheap, but less than a VX6HD.

This is interesting, as I have contemplated their scopes before. I believe I could see the triangle reticle well, but would likely have trouble with close shots where I have to hold over the target. Do you find that to be true?

They have duplexes (or crosswires) with red and green dots.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I have shot some SMALL groups at 25 yds on a 22 mag with a Leupold 2-7x, OEM.....parallax for centerfire.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42. Better glass than a VX6,

I like Trijicon scopes, too. But not sure their glass is "better" than a VX-6.

Just me.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's a .22 Mag T Bolt with VX-3 1.75-6x33. It's not 50 yd. parallax but with the .22 Mag, 100 yd parallax is probably better.

DF

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I like that combo Dirtfarmer, what reticle do you use with it?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just use a 4 power leupold scope for small game works great for squirrel huntin.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Duplex.

I traded for this gun, set up like you see it. It came with the Leupold Alumina covers. I've made a couple of trades with Cabelas, knowing they are going to "take their half out of the middle".. In this case, a set of Alumina covers is about $100 from MidwayUSA. They didn't seem too concerned, I was glad.

I've been known to trade them a gun I wouldn't sell here on the Classifieds or to a friend, if you get my drift... They act like they know everything, let'em figure it out...

DF

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My 2 favorites are both Leupolds and discontinued. VX ll 4x12 AO and Varix lll 4.5x14. Both have AO and can be had with fine duplex reticle. Keep an eye on ebay 'til you find one but I might out bid ya. Ha,Ha

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Duplex.

I traded for this gun, set up like you see it. It came with the Leupold Alumina covers. I've made a couple of trades with Cabelas, knowing they are going to "take their half out of the middle".. In this case, a set of Alumina covers is about $100 from MidwayUSA. They didn't seem too concerned, I was glad.

I've been known to trade them a gun I wouldn't sell here on the Classifieds or to a friend, if you get my drift... They act like they know everything, let'em figure it out...

DF

Most of the guys in the gun library are too smart by ½.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Duplex.

DF

Most of the guys in the gun library are too smart by ½.

They trade hard, expecting the customer to “take a bath”.

I like taking a “bath” on a deal with them, without getting “wet”.

Their overall superior, smug attitudes sets them up for “special treatment”, not too unlike old fashioned horse trading.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Just me.

DF

Neither Glass or Eyebox are better then a Leupold

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Here is an example of the type of thing I am looking for, just not sure how close it focuses or how large the dot is.

https://swfa.com/swarovski-3-18x50-z6i-30mm-riflescope-6.html

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Just me.

DF

I am. I did a thorough, side-by-side comparison late one afternoon. One thought the VX-6 was very sharp, until the same target (fine print) was viewed with the Trijicon. It was easy to see the difference.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

I have only the MOA Dot, but I've looked at the triangle. It is not a problem to hold over with either.

I can't imagine anyone having trouble seeing the MoA Dot. It is smaller than the triangle, but very bright.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Just me.

DF

Neither Glass or Eyebox are better then a Leupold

Eyebox is pretty much a function of exit pupil, which is simply obj. dia. divided by power, but I would say the VX6 and the Trijicon Accupoint were tied in that regard. However, to get Leupold glass that is as sharp and clear as the Accupoint you have to buy a Leupold HD, which are usually around $1,500+.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B

I have only the MOA Dot, but I've looked at the triangle. It is not a problem to hold over with either.

I can't imagine anyone having trouble seeing the MoA Dot. It is smaller than the triangle, but very bright.

I am not sure of the optical laws envolved, but sometimes bright dots show flare and are hard to use. I think this is caused by my astigmatism, but I don't know why it is worse in some scopes and not others. I would worry about the dot reticle but I believe the triangle reticle would be useful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had no trouble with flare in Hawkes or a Leupold I used for a few years. I adjust the brightness to the lowest level it's visible at and focus carefully.

Reflex sights can be a bit trickier since they don't focus (none I've seen anyway). For the sharpest dot in those, I use weak reading glasses that essentially correct my distance vision a touch. Again, the brightness setting is key.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 63 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,935
Posts18,479,992
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.