Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Swampdude
If you make it again forget the rice and serve it with pasta. It's then called pastalaya and many, including myself, prefer it to rice. Here is a link: https://www.louisianacookin.com/pastalaya/

I'll try that. Thanks!

Last edited by Rooster7; 05/22/18.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Look fantastic Rooster

Originally Posted by Rooster7

Thanks! Not too shabby for a first timer with a "mix" - grin

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swampdude
If you make it again forget the rice and serve it with pasta. It's then called pastalaya and many, including myself, prefer it to rice. Here is a link: https://www.louisianacookin.com/pastalaya/

I’d pour it over some wide egg noodles.

Over thick and chunky mashed taters would be great also.

Heck I’d eat it out of the pot with my hands.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The mixes can surprise you.
I bought two boxes of red beans and rice awhile back.
Didn't expect much, but thought they would be a quick side.
Piss me off. It was almost as good as the stuff I spend all day cooking.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
The mixes can surprise you.
I bought two boxes of red beans and rice awhile back.
Didn't expect much, but thought they would be a quick side.
Piss me off. It was almost as good as the stuff I spend all day cooking.

LOL

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That right there has inspired me Rooster.
Next time I go to town I'm gonna get the makings and try a batch myself.

As far as the mix goes.....I'll make my own but I dam sure wouldn't turn down a bowl of your first batch.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
HEY! Thought I’d share the display of sausages my local supermarket expanded for this weekends BBQs this was only one area.

A wholenother area of sausages, brats and dogs behind me not pictured.

SHEESH! Most of these are from a local meat outfit Sunnyvalley a few miles up the road. You can see the merger Johnsonville display at the end there.

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

That looks quite red. I believe you said crushed tomatoes were involved. That's in the Creole classification which makes sense for a kit from a company out of the New Orleans area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found this article which helps shed a some light on the difference.

https://www.camelliabrand.com/cajun-jambalaya-versus-creole-jambalaya-whats-the-difference/

I don't know that much about Cajun vs Creole....or really care for that matter but I like my Gumbo without tomato's so I think I'll make my first batch of Jambalaya without as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HEY! Thought I’d share the display of sausages my local supermarket expanded for this weekends BBQs this was only one area.

SHEESH! Most of these are from a local meat outfit Sunnyvalley a few miles up the road. You can see the merger Johnsonville display at the end there.

[Linked Image]

You bastard......

Funny you should mention it though.......I got tired of listening to myself whine about the sausage wasteland called ID so I ordered a grinder and stuffer the other day. The grinder showed up today but I'm still waiting on the stuffer and a seasoning/casing pack I also ordered but I should be in the sausage business in the next week or so. I'll start a thread when I'm up and running.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Charlie,
Hope you like it!

Here is the recipe I referenced. I used a red and green pepper and of course the rice came in that mix thing. I also skipped the file powder because I hate that stuff. (Just kidding. I have no idea what that is haha)

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/31848/jambalaya/

OH and I used Andouille sausage and smoked sausage.

Last edited by Rooster7; 05/23/18.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

[Linked Image]

Good Lord! That's a fine selection!

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

https://www.camelliabrand.com/cajun-jambalaya-versus-creole-jambalaya-whats-the-difference/

I don't know that much about Cajun vs Creole....or really care for that matter but I like my Gumbo without tomato's so I think I'll make my first batch of Jambalaya without as well.

Interesting article, Charlie.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Based on this mine is more Creole than Cajun, but whatever it is I like it.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Field Grade,
Sent out 4 sacks of NC and SC grits today to you . They should arrive Sat., they said you must have a pretty rural address, so hopefully they get there. I enclosed a note, hope you enjoy, any questions you can call me , I will PM my #. BTW the yellow are my favorite, especially with fried fish.

Enjoy and let me know how like our local not big company grits taste.

Last edited by rrconductor; 05/23/18.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Charlie,
Hope you like it!

Here is the recipe I referenced. I used a red and green pepper and of course the rice came in that mix thing. I also skipped the file powder because I hate that stuff. (Just kidding. I have no idea what that is haha)

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/31848/jambalaya/

OH and I used Andouille sausage and smoked sausage.

File is ground sassafras it will thicken the gumbo or whatever you add it to, hence the HW song Jambalaya, File Gumbo.

Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm not sure if they were Cajun or Creole but all the recipes I've seen call for sausage and chicken or sausage and shrimp.....to be safe I'd use all three.

I've never made it but it sounds a lot like dirty rice with different meat and tomatos......I bet it's good.

Not like dirty rice, it has livers and gizzards ground up in it. Jambalya is different, usually is made with shrimp , and andouille. It's about like a wet perleau that we cook here in the Low Country.

Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rrconductor
I'm not sure if they were Cajun or Creole but all the recipes I've seen call for sausage and chicken or sausage and shrimp.....to be safe I'd use all three.

I've never made it but it sounds a lot like dirty rice with different meat and tomatos......I bet it's good.

Not like dirty rice, it has livers and gizzards ground up in it. Jambalya is different, usually is made with shrimp , and andouille. It's about like a wet perleau that we cook here in the Low Country.

Pay attention.

PS.......livers and gizzards are also "meat". smile

Thanks for the Grits.......can't wait to try them.
I owe ya one.

And yes......I'm pretty rural.....North Central ID is actually like a third world country.....Quick Grits and Johnsonville Brats are in the exotic foods section.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Look forward to that thread.👍

[Linked Image]

You bastard......

Funny you should mention it though.......I got tired of listening to myself whine about the sausage wasteland called ID so I ordered a grinder and stuffer the other day. The grinder showed up today but I'm still waiting on the stuffer and a seasoning/casing pack I also ordered but I should be in the sausage business in the next week or so. I'll start a thread when I'm up and running.

"Maybe we're all happy."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I like to put some boudin in with it. It will cook down but gives it a little more bite. Not that you can get boudin there.

Can you get boudin in other southern states like you can in LA? I remember driving through LA and you could just make pit stops and grab some. I'd love to get some for the family once we're east bound and down.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (160user, 16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 3,048 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,620
Posts18,492,682
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.