Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Add, this is diesel not gas.
We treat it when we put it in the tanks, summer or mild winters temps. 1 quart/1000 gallons.
Under about 20F, we double treat as an extra precaution.

OT, but you don't have No. 1 diesel or blended diesel in the winter?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by djs
Gasoline with 15% Ethanol (alcohol - E-85) added will reduce your miles per gallon by about 20-25%. Only the corn producers like it!

Last I checked E85 is not 15% ethanol....E15 is 15% ethanol. E85 is anywhere from 53%-85% ethanol.

Last edited by Heeler; 05/21/18.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As Dillonbuck has explained, blending is the norm - including octane derivation. Old practice. In the mid 1950s I worked R&D at a Sunoco refinery helping perfect a pump that blended low octane with a high octane concentrate - your blend level selected at the pump - and that setup was quite successful back in those days where a range of octane ratings responded to consumer needs. The concentrate itself - Sunoco 260 - was a big deal for those of us who raced high CR engines. Some brands advertised a few proprietary additives back then - delivered in the tanker - probably added at some distribution point as Dillon buck explained.

Today - stay away from ethanol in small engines and any vehicle where it will sit in the tank for very long. Alchohol takes on H20 and also eats some components.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Heeler
Originally Posted by djs
Gasoline with 15% Ethanol (alcohol - E-85) added will reduce your miles per gallon by about 20-25%. Only the corn producers like it!

Last I checked E85 is not 15% ethanol....E15 is 15% ethanol. E85 is anywhere from 53%-85% ethanol.

It's actually 70%-84% ethanol depending on whether you have Class 1 80%-84%, Class 2 75%-79%, or Class 3 70%-74%. No way to tell which class you're buying because the pump will still show E85. It takes around 25% more ethanol to make the same power as gasoline.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-0801-e85-ethanol-alternative-fuel/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WASHINGTON, DC – As the Memorial Day weekend kicks off the summer boating season, Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) and National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) urge boaters to be mindful when selecting fuel for their boats, especially as the federal government’s Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) is increasing the risk of consumer misfueling. Even one mistake at the pump can be the source of expensive, warranty voiding repairs and dangerous engine failure.

“Boaters can’t assume that every fuel sold at gas stations will work in marine engines,” said BoatUS President Margaret Podlich, “Boats can only run on 10% or less ethanol content (E10) fuel – and we know many boaters prefer to use ethanol-free (E0) when possible. Unfortunately, as a result of the federal ethanol fuel mandates (RFS), boaters may face a much harder time this summer finding the E0 fuel they want. And with more E15 (gasoline with 15% ethanol) forced into the fuel supply by the RFS, the threat of accidental misfueling—especially at gas stations with blender pumps—is growing.”

“Our priority is always to keep boaters safe,” said NMMA President Thom Dammrich. “By increasing the share of fuels in the marketplace that are unsafe for marine engines, the federal government’s RFS is putting boaters at risk. Research shows the costly price of accidentally misfueling a boat with E15 can include stalling, corrosion, fuel leaks, damaged valves and complete engine failure – each of which could put boaters and their safety in jeopardy. Now more than ever, with E15 on the rise, the threat of misfueling is real.”

An estimated Ninety-five percent of boats are filled at retail gas stations, but a 2016 Harris Poll commissioned by the Outdoor Power Equipment Institute found a startling 60 percent of consumers believe any gas sold at retail stations is suitable for all engines and products. Further, only 36 percent know E15 is harmful to some engines – with just five percent aware that its use in those engines is also illegal.

The federal ethanol mandates, known as the RFS, require increasing amounts of biofuels—including corn ethanol—to be blended into the US fuel supply every year. This growing mandate forces higher quantities of fuels such as E15 into the marketplace, often at the expense of E0 ethanol-free fuel, and even though fuels with more than 10 percent ethanol are illegal to use in marine engines, motorcycles, outdoor power equipment and cars model year 2000 and older.

Though the government is aware that the RFS is changing the makeup of the fuel supply, it has undertaken no serious education campaign—beyond requiring small warning labels on fuel pumps—to inform boaters and other consumers about the problems they may face from improper or accidental fueling. The boating industry and others have sought to fill the gap and inform the public about the need to be vigilant when fueling and not assume that just because a gas station sells several fuel types from the same pump that each is suitable for marine engines.

For more information on proper marine fueling, fuel-related maintenance, and boating industry efforts to reform federal ethanol mandates and the supply of E0 fuel, visit BoatUS at BoatUS.com and the National Marine Manufacturers Association at www.NMMA.org.

http://www.boatus.com/pressroom/release.asp?ID=1202#.V288ucfMtLM

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...70606/all/Federal_Ethanol_Fuel_Mandates_

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't run ethanol in my Husky lawn tractor or chainsaw or weed-trimmer - ever. I've never had to have a carburetor rebuilt on those yard implements, either.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Maybe those yahoos on you tube videos showing how to remove the ethanol are on to something for small engine use.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have run ethanol gas in every chainsaw and outboard I have ever had. I have a 2000 Yamaha 40 that has never missed a beat and a 1996 Husky saw that has never had problems. I add StaBil to all my gas tanks at each fill up. Your results may vary...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I know not to run the lower grade fuels to keep the carbs working longer

That's a common misconception. 93 octane isn't any better than 87 octane unless your engine requires it. It's not better, it's just higher octane and costs more. Of course those selling the gas aren't going to tell you that because they want you to buy the more expensive stuff. The important part is that it's non-ethanol.

BINGO!!!!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
C
C
Back in the 80's I ran a motor fuels lab for a couple of companies and later ran an ethanol plant and did some pilot production of ETBE, an ether derived from ethanol. The only ether to see large scale use in gas was MTBE which was nasty stuff and easily absorbed into groundwater. It hasn't been used in years. Non oxygenated means that there is no alcohol or ether in the gasoline, the same thing as no alcohol.

I haven't worked in the fuels industry in over twenty years and have no dog in this fight. I would not run a 10% ethanol blend in any two stroke or marine motor but have had no problems in newer model cars or motorcycles. Keep in mind that it was politics that led to ethanol being mandated in gasoline. It was a means of keeping corn prices high and Nebraska, South Dakota, and Kansas have more senators than New York and California. Ethanol was something that Bob Dole and Tom Daschle were in complete agreement on and that made it unstoppable.

Last edited by Cal H; 05/21/18.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I know not to run the lower grade fuels to keep the carbs working longer

That's a common misconception. 93 octane isn't any better than 87 octane unless your engine requires it. It's not better, it's just higher octane and costs more. Of course those selling the gas aren't going to tell you that because they want you to buy the more expensive stuff. The important part is that it's non-ethanol.
BINGO!!!!!!

It's a matter of avoiding pre-ignition - no need for higher octane if this is not an issue in a given engine setup.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep. Three of my automobiles require 93 octane.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by victoro
"2-cycle engines are the ones which fare the worst with ethanol gas."

I had a lot of problems with gas lines and carbs until I starting using MARINE STA-BIL.

Yes. Star Tron is even better, but expensive, like everything else about alcohol.

Unless your a corn farmer.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You can run 91-93 octane with Sta-Bil and be perfectly fine. I have a 15 year old two-stroke Wal Mart Brand weedeater that fired up once more this spring.

FUEL GOES BAD if you don't add a preservative.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Both are the same!

The term oxygenated goes back to 1994-1996. At that time up to 10% ethanol (mainly, though some states used MTBE) was added to reduce tailpipe emissions of carbon monoxide. Now we put the same stuff in and call it an ethanol blend.

All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void. � Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (2 Cranch) 137 (1803)
NRA LIfe Member
GOA
SAF
CCRKBA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by 700LH
All gasoline has an additive package added at the truck loading rack.

any idea how much and what is added?

Is it a cup full or several gallons, and in the end does it really make any difference?

have a friend here in town, I know from over at the rifle range..

he is V.P. of a local fuel company that owns a whole bunch of fuel stations, of all sorts of different brands
here in Southern Oregon....

Greg was telling me, that when their trucks go up to pick up fuel in Eugene at the distribution center
ALL the Fuel they get is the exact same thing.. with NO proprietary additives in it.

Then which ever brand of station the fuel is going to, they then add that additive package at the depot
to the fuel that is in the tanker, that makes the fuel, Costco's, Chevron, Texaco, Shell, Mobil etc....

so that is what really differentiates the 'brand' of fuel they are delivering...to that station...

That is 100% correct.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,711
Posts18,534,893
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.