Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Objectively, no fan boy crap, what mags wouldn't you use. Again, give a solid reason, not because of looks or because "everyone knows Tripp is the best."

Most 'modern' pistols function similarly to a fungo bat. The cartridge is popped into the air and wacked into the chamber by the breech face. Without sufficient slide velocity or orientation, the cartridge will fall to the floor. Even under normal conditions the chunk-chunk-chunk operation feels like an engine that's missing on a cylinder or two.

A critical design element of the 1911 is controlled feed - as the cartridge is handed off from the magazine to the chamber it is always supported by at least two points. This control is the foundation of the smooth action and reliability of a properly set-up 1911. The pistol will chamber a round at any speed or orientation and runs like an oiled gear. The length (to the ogive) of the cartridge and the release timing of magazine must be synchronized for optimum controlled feed. Manufacturers have thoroughly dicked with magazine release timing in an attempt ensure reliability with evolving bullet designs (truncated, wadcutter, short hollowpoint, etc.).

I won’t settle for anything less than controlled feed in a 1911, so any magazine that bypasses it in a needless stab at reliability doesn’t make the cut. Wilson 47D and others, you’re out. I don’t mind plastic followers, but I want metal in contact with the slide stop. Wilson 47D, strike four.

I won’t use magazines that lack skirted followers or otherwise allow the pointed follower tip to mash into the frame ramp. Chip McCormick (old style) and others, you’re out.

The overall quality of the magazine has to pass the ‘heft test’ - you pick it up, you know.

The magazine has to demonstrate complete reliability, provide controlled feed, skirted follower, metal in contact with the slide stop, and pass the heft test: Tripp Research.

All of the above, except a USGI/tapered lips magazine for hardball: Metalform.

Couldn't have said it better myself, but I'm tired of wasting my time.

Most people don't understand half of what you said & they are pretty much gonna use what they have or what is cheap(er).

Tripps work just fine with ball though & while I agree with all that you said about the Wilsons, truthfully, while the Tripps are the absolute best, I've never had a single failure that I can remember with the Wilsons over a dozen guns or so.

MM

GB1

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Couldn't have said it better myself, but I'm tired of wasting my time.

Most people don't understand half of what you said & they are pretty much gonna use what they have or what is cheap(er).

Tripps work just fine with ball though & while I agree with all that you said about the Wilsons, truthfully, while the Tripps are the absolute best, I've never had a single failure that I can remember with the Wilsons over a dozen guns or so.

MM

Thanks. I've not seen a Wilson mag fail either, but I've seen a few with mighty chewed up followers. Since I've seen dozens of well-used Wilson magazines without chewed up followers, a messed up slide catch was probably doing the damage and probably curable.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Tripp Cobra Mags a the top of the class, but they are not cheap.

Hands down, the best available.

www.trippresearch.com

MM

This. Hasbeen

Agreed

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

309 members (17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 264mag, 28 invisible), 1,328 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,981
Posts18,519,963
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.