-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mike: I just mounted and sighted mine in today, on a Ruger #1 in .222...sighted in no problem, the extra eye relief was a help on the #1 and so far so good! I Like it!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Frankly, I'm going to be surprised if that reticle actually covers one MOA at 100 yards. It looks a lot thinner than that.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mike, I sighted mine in today on a basic target with 1 inch squares...its pretty close!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Since this one will be used on porkers up pretty close, I don't think it's gonna be a problem.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RevMike
Pappy:

I unpacked the scope and I really like the reticle. It's a little heavier and bulkier than my Leupolds, and the ocular is a little wider as well, but hopefully it will nevertheless fit in low Talleys on a M70 or MRC. I won't know until sub-tropical storm Alberto gets his wet butt out of here, but either way I do have a rifle for it. That said, I certainly appreciate your offer but I think I'll keep it.

Thanks again.

RM

Knew it.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Since this one will be used on porkers up pretty close, I don't think it's gonna be a problem.

Mike I bought the thing for two reasons..increased eye relief and illuminating reticle, which I have found VERY handy on my trips to Texas for predator calling and definitely for pigs. I dont know how many Ive killed at night..but the illumination reticle in red, paired with my green kill light looks pretty much like Christmas when its "GO" time! laugh

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Knew it.

Sorry, but if they're sold out let me know. I won't be able to do mount it or do anything with it till this weather clears.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Ingwe:

Black at twilight in the shadows: that's pretty much the ideal set-up for an illuminated reticle.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Knew it.

Sorry, but if they're sold out let me know. I won't be able to do mount it or do anything with it till this weather clears.

We have another shipment coming in this week. These scopes have been selling like crazy since we put them on promo. Happy to start getting some brand recognition for Hawke. They make great products but they have no marketing team. We're happy to offer these deals as a way of promoting the products and getting their optics into peoples hands.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Doug:

See if they'll send you a shipment of the flip-up lens covers as well. I find them handier than the rubber storm covers that come on this scope as well as many others.

Mike

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Fret not, Parson. I'm well covered for the present. If Doug can dig up the 3-9 with the same reticle, I'd buy that instead.

Make sure you turn the light out on yours when you put it down; there's no idiot switch like on a Leupy.

Glad you like it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm considering putting the included covers back on my 8x56. No way am I carrying that sewer pipe in the woods and the metal ones are more compact.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Unfortunately, there are no more of the 3-9's

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Unfortunately, there are no more of the 3-9's

Crap! I would buy one...

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I got my 2-7 Endurance mounted on my Marlin 1895 with low mounts but the crosshairs are too high.
I turned the top knob almost all the way down before the crosshairs went below line of sight at 30 feet.I prefer being in the middle.
Would higher rings bring it up enough?I should have some 1 inch medium rings but am not sure if it will be enough.
I have not shot it but I re-scoped 3 different rifles this year alone and at 30 feet I always am below the boresight light beam.
I use a boresight you put in the barrel as I can't get a 45 cal insert for the boresight I normally use that goes in the chamber and puts a laser beam on target.
What do you guys think?

Last edited by DropShot; 06/04/18.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Did this rifle have a scope in these mounts before? If so, where was the laser beam in relation to the crosshairs? If not, then you're going to have to start at the beginning and boresight it the old way or put it on paper. 30 feet seems pretty close to me and I can imagine that you may well have used up a lot of clicks lining up that close. You're correct in wanting to have the adjustments somewhere close to the middle, but that's not always possible without shimming something or using an angled base. Seems to me that higher rings would just put it farther off.

I boresight my rifles ordinarily by looking though the bore at a small target 50 yards away. The rare one that doesn't allow that gets fired at paper at 25 or 50 yards, then the adjustments get touched up at 100. Your Marlin can, of course be boresighted by removing the bolt as you would when cleaning properly from the breech end. That's what I would do, before putting it on paper, especially with the adjustments nearly bottomed out.

Set up a small, bright target at 50 yards. Remove the bolt, then place the rifle in a steady rest like a cleaning cradle or even two notches cut in a large cardboard box, anything that will hold it steady. Sight through the barrel and line up the target in the center of the bore like a peep sight. Adjust the crosshairs until they are on the target while the target is centered in the bore. Once done, your first shots should be on the paper at 50. Fine tune it there, then at 100. This method works for me 95% of the time at least, maybe more. Occasionally, I get it just right and no further adjustment, or just a bit, is required. I can only remember one or two rifles in 50 years that I had trouble with, and those I just had to start on paper at 25 yards.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
You're correct in wanting to have the adjustments somewhere close to the middle, but that's not always possible without shimming something or using an angled base. Seems to me that higher rings would just put it farther off.

DropShot: just to add to what Pappy said, Burris Signature Zee rings (with the insert) will allow you to make considerable adjustments to the rings themselves, then fine tune with the scope adjustments themselves. Just a thought.

RM

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Amen, if it turns out he actually has a problem. I suspect his methodology might need to be re-visited.

No doubt someone, somewhere, has a tacti-cool angled base for Marlins as well.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for the replies.
I shot it today and it hits 4 inches high with close to center of adjustments.
I have many rifles and change scopes around from time to time but this rifle never wore a scope.
The bases are Leupold STD base and Leupold low rings.
I changed the Leupold VXlll LR 6.5-20X50 on another rifle the same day( 300 win mag) and all went well with that rifle and no method problems.
Last week I changed the Weaver 3-10X44 scope on a rifle I was not using much to a T/C Encore and had no method problems with that one either.Man that Encore 30/06 is super accurate.
Now with the Marlin I have a problem.
I'll switch this scope to another rifle and see if the same problem occurs,maybe the Browning BLR in 358 but it wears a Leupold 1.75-6 VXlll and is accurate with that scope.
I also have a Zeiss but its too much scope for a 45/70.
This year alone I have mounted 4 scopes for friends since I have more tools than they do and had no problems.
I have a Burris base and Z-rings somewhere I can try.
I also have medium rings I can try too.
Thanks guys.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
4" ain't much, well within normal expectations and easy to handle with the generous range of adjustment of that scope. You don't want it at or near the extreme ends, but I can't see any problem here at all.

Expect hooting and cries of derision because of your use of the STD mounts.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,393
Posts18,488,781
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.