Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Switch
Originally Posted by johnw
that's about as cool as it gets, and it seems so affordable...

Got me thinking that I have an old 10-22 in a beat up walnut stock. Wonder if there's a sporter 22" barrel available for it?

Green Mountain makes them in factory sporter contour. Great shooter, I believe the also have a 24"

I've got the regular 10/22 DSP (Deluxe Sporter) and I've been thinking pretty hard about those barrels. It might be the next purchase. I tend to keep things pretty "stock" but they just need a little help sometimes. Mine is certainly no target gun as-is. Even my "worst" bolt-action rifle is a good bit better, though no great shakes, either. Both guns handle nicely enough, though. That's important, too, you carry one a lot more than you shoot one.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Got me thinking that I have an old 10-22 in a beat up walnut stock. Wonder if there's a sporter 22" barrel available for it?

Green Mountain makes them in factory sporter contour. Great shooter, I believe the also have a 24"

I've got the regular 10/22 DSP (Deluxe Sporter) and I've been thinking pretty hard about those barrels. It might be the next purchase. I tend to keep things pretty "stock" but they just need a little help sometimes. Mine is certainly no target gun as-is. Even my "worst" bolt-action rifle is a good bit better, though no great shakes, either. Both guns handle nicely enough, though. That's important, too, you carry one a lot more than you shoot one.

I have the std contour SS Fluted 22" Shoots 1/2" @ 50 yds and looks very good on my Deluxe Sporter. You'll be happy with it Shoots better than my .920 barrel!

Last edited by Switch; 05/23/18.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

I have the std contour SS Fluted 22" Shoots 1/2" @ 50 yds and looks very good on my Deluxe Sporter. You'll be happy with it Shoots better than my .920 barrel!

And it handles and carries a lot better. Put a Weaver 2 X 7 rim fire scope and a Kidd trigger on mine and it a dream boat. Like it a whole lot better than the bull barrel models for field use. It is also a very classy looking rifle.

Last edited by Switch; 05/23/18.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If there is a better looking 10/22 on the planet, I haven't seen it.

It would also look great with a small, straight tube scope such as a 2-1/2, 1-4, or similar. But there is really too much drop in Ruger factory stocks for scope use (unless one of the plastic stocks with replaceable butt stock modules.)

If I wanted to keep it iron sights and get the most from them, I'd put the tallest Lyman 17A on it with inserts from Lee Shaver Gunsmithing. In fact, this post caused me to source a 22" barrel for my iron sight 10/22 (that uses a Lyman 17A) in order to get more sight radius. I changed the barrel last night, so I haven't shot it yet. But the 22" barrel increases the sight radius 15% over the 18-1/2 barrel.

Again, gorgeous 10/22!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
In glad this thread came back around...

Thanks GunDoc7

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=GunDoc7]If there is a better looking 10/22 on the planet, I haven't seen it.

It would also look great with a small, straight tube scope such as a 2-1/2, 1-4, or similar. But there is really too much drop in Ruger factory stocks for scope use (unless one of the plastic stocks with replaceable butt stock modules.)

/quote]

Unless you have a really thin or tiny face, the factory 10/22 sporter comb is plenty high for scope use IF you mount yhe scope low enough.

With a straight tubed 2.5, 3x etc scope there is NO impedimemt to getting that scope mounted low.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^
Not to argue, as reasonable people can disagree. Except for AR15 rifles and similar, I've yet to find a rifle that works equally well, for me, for irons and a scope. But that's just me. My test is I mount the rifle with my eyes closed. If I'm not looking through the scope when I open my eyes, it is not optimal.

What I never could figure out is the 10/22 Target, which had no sights at all, seemed to have about the same drop as the standard.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
R
R
Planning a similar project. Would really like to discuss this rifle with you when you have a chance. Please PM me appropriate contact information, as a new member I can't send you a PM...
Thank you in advance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some years ago, Ruger offered a semi-auto rifle (can’t now recall whether it was the 10/22, or the .44 Deerstalker, or both) with a Williams Fool Proof receiver sight incorporated into the modified left side of the receiver, where the vertical dovetail cut and two D&T holes (one for the elevation adjustment screw and the other for the gib lock) in the receiver allowed it to substitute for the adjustable sight base. It was a very natural looking and streamlined setup. It seems like that easy modification could be just the thing for this rifle, with its tall front sight.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ramecon
Planning a similar project. Would really like to discuss this rifle with you when you have a chance. Please PM me appropriate contact information, as a new member I can't send you a PM...
Thank you in advance.
I believe you need to have 25 posts to be able to send or receive private messages.

I'll be happy to discuss this with you but just don't like to post email or phone numbers on the open internet, so stick around and chat about various things and then we can talk.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Beautiful rifle Jim. Thanks for sharing!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That big shark fin up front always bugged me a little bit so I put the original front sight back on and mounted a Burris Fastfire 3 on the receiver with an ADE mount. The whole effect isn't quite as sleek as with the Skinner peep sight but it maintains the wispy handling qualities and actually looks pretty good, not out of place at all.

These days I've switched to red dot sights on pretty much everything that isn't scoped, rimfire or centerfire, to the point of mounting a Fastfire 3's on a 1937 vintage Remington 121 pump and a Renner modified No.1A .250 Savage.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
These days I've switched to red dot sights on pretty much everything that isn't scoped, rimfire or centerfire, to the point of mounting a Fastfire 3's on a 1937 vintage Remington 121 pump and a Renner modified No.1A .250 Savage.

Sure gotta like them FastFire 3s:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Couldn’t quite bring myself to put a FastFire 3 on a rifle, though. So, I tried this Ultradot 25 instead:

As it too was JNR, it didn’t stay long.

Unfortunately, I have not yet found a suitable optical sight which would not ruin the graceful lines and handling qualities of a beautifully elegant rifle, such as your Renner Rhinelander:

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There’s still this idea, though:

Using a Williams 5D sight, instead of a Fool Proof sight, and eliminating the elevation adjustment screw, the modification would be even simpler than I thought.

If I were seriously considering this sight option, I’d have the modification done to another 10/22 receiver. Then, if it turns out well, I’d have that receiver re-anodized and swap it in place of the original (barrels are easily removed and reinstalled). That way, you can always switch it back.

Williams receiver sights, being made primarily of aluminum alloy, are thicker than they’d need to be if they were made of steel instead. Thinner, a sight fabricated from steel would require a receiver dovetail cut of less depth, and could be adjusted down lower over the top of the receiver, allowing for use of a lower front sight (maybe even the factory original front sight).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 160user, 1lessdog, 52 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,478,014
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.