Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Montana is one western state we have not visited. Wife, and I naturally, LOVE the west, spending most of our time in NM.

I am planing on taking her there as a surprise trip upon her upcoming retirement. Any suggestions for ranches, etc that we could stay at and relax for a week or so? She likes to sightsee and hike....no horseback riding for her.

Thanks for any suggestions.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just Google up "Montana Guest Ranches" and you'll find scads.

May is, in my view, the best time for Montana. Not hot yet, everything is green like crazy, mountains mostly still snowy. :Long days, too. September just after Labor Day is usually pretty good, but sometimes we get WINTER hard and fast. I recommend May, second and third week, as your best bet.

Some are Communist, however, so I'd stay the heck away from anything associated with The Nature Conservancy or the Western Landowners' Alliance.
Look for those that offer hunting, or say they are "working" ranches. In terms of geography, and if you want something cool and pleasant and want to explore rather than just sit, I would look first at something on the Rocky Mountain Front (Gkacier Park), or the Beartooth/Absaroka Front (Red Lodge and Beartooth and Yellowstone). If you do those and want "park" then you should go in mid June which gives good odds that the main park roads will be fully plowed off. Some places have hot springs, which are really neat to try.

Or maybe, you'll get lucky and one of our ranchers here will just happen to have a guest cabin and invite you..

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Going to Montana...just to throw the houlihan...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Montana is one western state we have not visited. Wife, and I naturally, LOVE the west, spending most of our time in NM.

I am planing on taking her there as a surprise trip upon her upcoming retirement. Any suggestions for ranches, etc that we could stay at and relax for a week or so? She likes to sightsee and hike....no horseback riding for her.

Define "hike". Like day hike or backpack or what?

There's oodles you can do by yourself either way.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn’t do a dude ranch unless you just want to ride. Hit Yellowstone, then wander up to Glacier via Virginia City. There are also ranches around Glacier with lots to see and do nearby.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Glacier

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
It would probably be in June...

She likes to "day hike" with me...eat breakfast, pack lunch, back in time for supper.

Thanks for the advice to avoid the communist spots....I would have completely overlooked that aspect.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glacier NP and also Waterton Lakes NP in Canada, both beautiful.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

She likes to "day hike" with me...eat breakfast, pack lunch, back in time for supper.

Thanks for the advice to avoid the communist spots....I would have completely overlooked that aspect.

I'd go straight to Glacier. Camp at Many Glacier, do the day hikes around there. Lot of snowpack this year but should still work.

There's a restaurant at the trailheads if you don't feel like cooking. Fun times.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I hope my wife doesn't see this thread.

We went on vacation last Saturday.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Skip Yellowstone. Thank me later.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your driving in on 90, Little Big Horn Battlefield is definitely worth the time.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Godog57: Look up and get on the list to stay at least ONE night at Chico Hotsprings - my wife just loves it there - superb food, nice surroundings in a historic lodge with much additions and renovations.
Its south of Livingston, Montana in the beautiful paradise Valley halfway to Yellowstone Park.
Wonderful huge pool hotspring for swimming and soaking and again the food there is superb!
I have heard tell its the ONLY 5 Star restaurant in Montana - don't know for sure but I have eaten many dozens of meals there and all are superb!
Look'em up - lots of things to do there.
They are booked full year round so reservations are a must - they do virtually NO advertising its all word of mouth and repeat customers and still they are booked full - ask to get on a cancellation list if need be.
There is one cute little hike from the lodge that I know of and the grandkids and wife and I always like to do it (passes a hidden lake WITH trout in it - seen in video!).
Good luck, travel safe and enjoy Montana!
More later.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Link to Chico (AMAZING!): https://www.chicohotsprings.com/

Be sure to click on the video (only 2 minutes long but some stunning photgraphy).

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

can you wait till after Labor Day ?

then drop through Utah on your way home.........!

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

looks nice............

after Labor Day..............

don't like crowds.........

https://www.chicohotsprings.com/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I would second or third Glacier National Park. Hard to beat the scenery or the hiking opportunities. And only a fraction the crowds of Yellowstone. Flathead Lake is also fabulous, and within an hour or two of Glacier. The National Bison Range is a great place to see tamer wildlife from a vehicle.

Now, as for avoiding "communists" what is such about The Nature Conservancy? After all, willing seller doing a deal with a willing buyer. Sounds rather capitalist to me! National Parks, on the other hand, where "we all own it"... now that sounds communist! Don't' ruin your vacation with politics or overthink it!

Your wife will love MT. You sound like a good hubby!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

I'd go straight to Glacier. Camp at Many Glacier, do the day hikes around there. Lot of snowpack this year but should still work.

There's a restaurant at the trailheads if you don't feel like cooking. Fun times.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Try to include the Beartooth Highway on your way to Glacier.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Lots of great ideas folks...thanks so much. Can’t wait till after Labor Day....elk will be calling me!

Those hot springs sound like a great idea.

Loved South Dakota when we went there....friendliest people outside of the south we’ve ever met.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugeman, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,184 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,820
Posts18,496,507
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.