Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Hi all - looking for some help here.

I have already had a McMillan edge compact stock and found the bottom very square and uncomfortable to carry in the blind bottom configuration. I understand using a BDL bottom helps this but I am looking to restock a Savage 10 so I am really limited ATM to a blind set-up - but they happen to be my preference anyway.

So my question is - anyone have any experience of the other stocks offered - the Classic or Mountain rifle for example. Are they the same? Some factory Savage blind stocks are pretty squarish as well but there are some that are wonderfully rounded and comfortable. I'm down in New Zealand so it's pretty hard to get a look at them in the flesh and they are horrendously expensive to get down here so I want to make the best informed choice I can.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mountain Rifle pattern for 700 ADL is square too.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thank you - if anyone could tell me what this one is problem solved!

http://www.performance-rifles.com/2014/05/280ai-mountain-rifle.html

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Looks like a Brown Precision stock to me.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Or maybe a KS stock for a LA 700?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RinB
Looks like a Brown Precision stock to me.

Yup

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Is there enough meat there to sand it down to your liking and repaint?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Loosecat
Thank you - if anyone could tell me what this one is problem solved!

http://www.performance-rifles.com/2014/05/280ai-mountain-rifle.html

Can’t tell. Brown or McMillan. I would agree with vabow that it is a KS. With the custom paint and no picture of bolt cutout I’m uncertain which maker, but the person who posted the image stated it was a McMillan.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Looks same / similar to the McMillan KS pattern stock that I have on hand. And yes, a blind bottom KS stock is more "rounded" in cross section in the action area. Not truly round. But generous radius on the corners. Keep in mind that while McMillan still offers the KS pattern, I "thought" that I read that they were charging a special order set up fee ($100 ?) for the KS pattern? Might want to check with McMillan on total cost.

FWIW, the KS is my #2 favorite McMillan stock pattern behind the McEdge Hunter/Compact stock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with the two posters above, it's a KS pattern, but having owned several Brown's and McMillan stocks, I have no trouble telling them apart. The texture of your stock suggests it's a McMillan. I currently have both sitting in my safe.

Below is a Brown Precision, the stock in your photo is a McM.
https://i.imgur.com/scw1Qrm.jpg?

Last edited by StudDuck; 05/25/18.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd send that link with photos and questions to McMillan directly and ask them. Like Orion suggests, it could be a McMillan made from the actual Remington Mold. I believe Brown made the same stock for Remington prior to McMillan.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
McMillan made from the actual Remington Mold. I believe Brown made the same stock for Remington prior to McMillan.

Correct.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Awesome - thank you all for your input. I will give McMillan a nudge about a KS stock. On a side note - as above would it be possible to get an unpainted stock from McMillan and sand the edges down slightly without damaging its integrity?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
"My understanding", the filler material in a McMillan light weight Edge carbon fiber stock is not as stout as the standard weight filler material. Personally, I would try to avoid any sand "throughs" on an Edge carbon fiber stock shell. No clue how thick the CF shell is. However, I would not stress about small sand "throughs" on the shell of a standard fill fiberglass McM stock. If you plan to repaint a standard weight stock afterwards, I would just do it...

Just my dos colones...

S
S
Originally Posted by Loosecat
Hi all - looking for some help here.

I have already had a McMillan edge compact stock and found the bottom very square and uncomfortable to carry in the blind bottom configuration. I understand using a BDL bottom helps this but I am looking to restock a Savage 10 so I am really limited ATM to a blind set-up - but they happen to be my preference anyway.

So my question is - anyone have any experience of the other stocks offered - the Classic or Mountain rifle for example. Are they the same? Some factory Savage blind stocks are pretty squarish as well but there are some that are wonderfully rounded and comfortable. I'm down in New Zealand so it's pretty hard to get a look at them in the flesh and they are horrendously expensive to get down here so I want to make the best informed choice I can.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

I have an ADL (blind mag) Hunters Edge which is only a few years old and although the centre of the bottom is flat, as is the centre of most bolt action stocks; the edges of the bottom are nicely radiused.. Inletting for a BDL floor plate wouldn't change this.

I saw a second hand 700 in a shop recently which had what looked very much like a blind Hunters Edge on it EXCEPT that the bottom edges were much sharper than on mine. Maybe the shape has been refined over the years and you had an early version ?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, the McMillan that used to post here claimed that they had changed the mold slightly to make it more rounded.

IMO, it still does not compare to the KS contours though.

You can have Brown still make you their version of KS or their classic shape as well, and get a very nice fiberglass stock.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Edge Hunter Remington 700 BDL stock and agree the stock is too square and uncomforatble to carry. The Model 70 Winchesters in the Hunters Edge are much more rounded. I have two of the Winchesters and like them a lot. I don't get it. Bottom metal on the 700 is inletted deeply and is below the stock line. I like the KS and Banser Sheep Hunter much better on the 700's

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So, can this stock be had from McMillan for a short action?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
No.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kingston
So, can this stock be had from McMillan for a short action?

[Linked Image]

I should qualify. No, can’t be ordered new. Mold (KS SA) was destroyed per McMillan. A few (<1000 I believe) are out there on older 700s.

Last edited by AKwolverine; 06/16/18. Reason: Space
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,708 guests, and 862 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,906
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.