Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We have ours traced well back into the 1600s IIRC. Mom just HAD to do it. It told her things that are incorrect as far as we actually know. Although I suppose it could be indicating prior times....

Mostly I don't trust it, and totally I don't trust government at all.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My mom did 23andMe. Apparently she's the whitest person in the world. Something like 99.7% Northern European and British isles, with the ~.3% from Iberia.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When George Orwell wrote Nineteen Eighty-Four in 1949 everyone thought it was just social science fiction.
Even George would never have dreamt that one day people would willingly pay to have surveillance systems installed in their houses (Alexa and "smart" TV's) and to openly hand out their DNA to anyone on the internet.
It just blows my mind....

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used Ancestry.Com, and the wife used Home DNA. Both gave the expected results, but I like Ancestry.Com better. A word about 23 and me.......we had to get new credit cards after we had over $300 worth of charges from 23 and me, and we didn't do it. Don't know what happened, but in talking with our bank, they weren't very kind in their assessment of 23 and me's security. Just saying.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

From what I've read one of the more realistic potential concerns about the consumer DNA home test companies is at some point in the future the possibility (probability?) of commercial enterprises, insurance industry, employers, etc., gaining access to individual test results and exploiting for their own purposes.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Yep ballistik I feel the same way. While Dan is now in the system, he was able to connect with family he didn't know about. Their knowledge of family jibes with Dans.

I've thought about it because in all likelihood, I have kids scattered all over the world.....While in the navy, I didn't have a conscience about such things....

So you'd drop in your DNA so 20 kids can move to America and claim your paycheck?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My folks were born in Oklahoma and New Mexico. Had great grands that traveled their via wagon train and cattle drives, with an old pics to prove it. I don't need to know more.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting thread, anyone ever get results that are inaccurate? I've heard of it but dont know of anyone personally.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 673
Interesting thread, anyone ever get results that are inaccurate? I've heard of it but dont know of anyone personally.

Now you know somebody. My Aunt used Ancestry and was told no American Indian. We are direct descendants of Louis Durant and She
Ni Yah (Choctaw Rose), Monatubbee Magee, and Hanok O Yah. My ancestors are on the Original Indian Rolls and I have a blood card.
Might try 23 and Me.
I have traced my ancestry back to about 1000 AD. The Lambert side to Northern England and Primeau s from France on my other side.

I much prefer the Family Search website for my ancestors.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 05/25/18.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I know what I am, so no need for a test. Norwegian Swedish Danish...with a side order of Kraut.

IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I don't plan on getting my DNA checked because somebody has done a lot of research on my ancestry all the way back to Ireland and Europe. You never can be really sure your ancestry is 100% correct because like the black folks say "Momma's baby, Daddy's maybe."

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by 673

Now you know somebody. My Aunt used Ancestry and was told no American Indian. We are direct descendants of Louis Durant and She
Ni Yah (Choctaw Rose), Monatubbee Magee, and Hanok O Yah. My ancestors are on the Original Indian Rolls and I have a blood card.
Might try 23 and Me.
I have traced my ancestry back to about 1000 AD. The Lambert side to Northern England and Primeau s from France on my other side.

I much prefer the Family Search website for my ancestors.

Thanks butch

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, like I said, moms results were not the same as what we know to be fact. But we are not past 1600s, like butch is to the 1000s....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have been actively involved in DNA family searches for the past several years. My grandparents, along with a countless number of other relatives, fled the Russian occupation of their Baltic homeland. Through my DNA and document research, I have been able to learn many untold family stories and have had email exchanges with my previously unknown Lithuanian and Latvian cousins throughout the world.

If you are seriously interested in pursuing your ancestral information through DNA, you really need to download your information to the universal data base-GEDmatch. All of the testing companies (Ancestry, 23 and me, etc.) provide a tool in their settings to download,at no cost, your data to GEDmatch, which is also free.

I'll share one of my many surprises that I have encountered in my research. After downloading my information to GEDmatch, I started to receive a number of inquiries from Australia and had no idea why. After a few email exchanges, I learned that I had many relatives that had survived previous Russian occupations that decided that they should follow the retreating Germans in 1944-1945, rather than give the Russians another shot at them (pun intended). At the end of the war, they found themselves in Displace Persons Camps throughout Germany. Between 1947 and 1956, the Aussies took in literally boat loads of my cousins ("The Beautiful Balts") from the DP camps-I had had absolutely no idea that this family event occurred. CP.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Reading this makes me want to do it. I’m curious as hell now. My wife would laugh if I have darkie blood in me!!!

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've never had any desire to do one of these DNA tests. Besides being paranoid, my ancestors came here recently enough that I've met most of my relatives in this country; the rest I don't care about. I'm Norwegian, Swedish, and a touch of German. (There was some hanky-panky in the old country, according to a great-aunt.) I'm pretty sure, too, one of the old-country ancestors was a crook of some type; actually, that would be the most interesting reason for me to check!

Dale

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got ya. My maternal grandparents immigrated from Sweden and Finland, so I no where they came from. My paternal grandparents are known enough to me that I don't need to risk the DNA stuff.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
AFAIK - 1/2 Slav - 1/2 mongrel (primarily scandinavian, and the UK)

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I am on there too.

No real matches yet.

I probably won't ever find out.

Wait...what? All his time I thought you were a displaced Eskimo!

Can't believe anything anymore!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just don't get the GoFundMe thing. If the DNA stuff was so important, it's not so expensive that it can't be paid for by the seeker.

Sam......

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,387 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,502
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.