Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ision-to-drop-nra-discounts-was-personal

The passionate debate over gun control spilled over into United Continental Holdings Inc.’s annual meeting, when an attendee grilled Chief Executive Officer Oscar Munoz about why the carrier severed its ties with the National Rifle Association.

Taking such a stand in the aftermath of the mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, risked alienating millions of potential customers who have firearms or support the right to own them, the person said during the Wednesday session. The move also bucked billionaire investor Warren Buffett’s advice against making heat-of-the moment political stands.

The shooter wasn’t affiliated with the NRA, the questioner said, “But hey, congratulations on your liberal virtue-signaling.”

“Sir, it wasn’t political,” Munoz responded. “It was personal with regard to my family at United.”

For Munoz, the tragedy hit home because one of the 17 people killed in the Florida massacre, Gina Rose Montalto, was the teenage daughter of a United captain. About a hundred pilots and other employees of United, JetBlue Airways Corp., American Airlines Group Inc. and FedEx Corp. attended her funeral, forming an honor guard at the entrance, according to news reports at the time.

“That’s why we made the decision,” Munoz said. “We aren’t here to make political conversation or strike political debate. We’re here to serve customers.”

United and Delta Air Lines Inc. were among a number of companies that ended discounts for NRA members during the fallout from the February mass shooting. Delta faced a political firestorm in its home state of Georgia as lawmakers punished the airline by removing a fiscal measure’s tax break on jet fuel.

Last edited by gonehuntin; 05/24/18.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

United and Delta Air Lines Inc. were among a number of companies that ended discounts for NRA members during the fallout from the February mass shooting. Delta faced a political firestorm in its home state of Georgia as lawmakers punished the airline by removing a fiscal measure’s tax break on jet fuel.

Ostensible empathy. "Kaintcha see?"

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Your link is bad.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by achadwick
Your link is bad.

Thank you - corrected.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes we are aware it was personal. Thats the EXACT problem we have with it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
His ignorance in blaming the wrong people is personal too.

Stupidity should have dire consequences.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Investors need to move him on...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
The NRA, did nothing. What an ass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Munoz just clarified that he makes off the cuff and illogical decisions on the basis of emotion. Poor qualities for a corporate CEO.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if it was personal the target should have been the School district, the Sheriffs Dept, The FBI, etc.
I am the NRA and was in no way involved in the tragedy. Besides United sucks anyway.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What an idiot! Lieberal "logic".

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What will he blame for the shooting in Texas? NRA?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It was personal against the NRA because a United employee's kid was killed by a psycho?

Then I guess I'm going to have to stop doing business with United because I had a friend killed in the south tower on 9/11.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Amen, Remsen. That "non-political" stuff works both ways.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just not a good business decision on his part.

What gets me is all of the hurt feelings when folks that support the second amendment tell those business's they won't use them any more.

They tell you you should not do things on the spur of the moment.

I have not flown since my Son got married 18 years ago.
They gave me a hard time about the screws and wire in my back.
They were nor professional at all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everything emotionally based people do is Personal, and they think everything that happens to them is too. Only realists and rational people work on Principles and Concepts.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[bleep] them anyway.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are one of my customers. Should I stop fixing thier broken machines? Money has no political agenda. It spends just the same no matter what the belief system of the payer. Quite a few of my customers are liberals, and more power to them. Not one knows how to fix what they break (imho)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Remsen

Then I guess I'm going to have to stop doing business with United because I had a friend killed in the south tower on 9/11.

True, would have never happened if those Saudies didn't have access to a United jet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by Remsen

True, would have never happened if those Saudies didn't have access to a United jet.

So you would blame the tool, not the wielder? That's liberal thinking.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (37L1, 257 mag, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,614 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,504
Posts18,490,610
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.