Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Do Swarovski, Zeiss, or Leica make a scope for small game hunting? Something comparable to the Leupold 6.5-20 EFR is preferred. I have looked at several online websites over the last week or so and have not found anything similar to the Leupold EFR scopes.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pardon the drift, but most, I think would classify a 6.5-20 as something other than a small-game scope, EFR or not. Maybe it's a terminology difference. Small game to me generally means small edible mammals or even some birds, as opposed to varmints, often shot at long range.

Don't know about the brands you mention because they're out of my "range". Try the airgun sites for ideas. Those guys use a lot of PA scopes, using the focus for guessing range IIRC in Field Target.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What are you hunting, and the range?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would use the same scope I used for big game.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BlackBranchFarm
Do Swarovski, Zeiss, or Leica make a scope for small game hunting? Something comparable to the Leupold 6.5-20 EFR is preferred. I have looked at several online websites over the last week or so and have not found anything similar to the Leupold EFR scopes.

I don't like much over 10x on my rabbit rifle, so settled on a Zeiss C series 10 x 36 ao.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Essentially any AO scope will work. Those with a 25 yard minimum distance may be a bit better than those with a 50 yard minimum. EFR is better yet but not truly necessary. Most fixed parallax rimfire scopes are set around 60-65 yards or so. Anything shorter is an improvement up close, just a question of how much improvement.

The 6.5-20x EFR is a nice scope. Sometimes too heavy for a svelte rimfire. I believe Midway still has some VX II compact 3-9x RF specials with AO, CDS, and their windplex horizontal crosshair. Damned nice little scopes.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I don't like much over 10x on my rabbit rifle, so settled on a Zeiss C series 10 x 36 ao.

How are the optics and mechanics on the Zeiss 10x36C? I've always been intrigued by that scope.

"Venison vanishcth down the vale,
with bounding hoof and flaunting tail."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

This is the second C series I have owned and am very pleased with it, when I sighted it in it clicked straight to where I wanted it, and is a joy to use on the Brno 22lr.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Essentially any AO scope will work. Those with a 25 yard minimum distance may be a bit better than those with a 50 yard minimum. EFR is better yet but not truly necessary. Most fixed parallax rimfire scopes are set around 60-65 yards or so. Anything shorter is an improvement up close, just a question of how much improvement.

The 6.5-20x EFR is a nice scope. Sometimes too heavy for a svelte rimfire. I believe Midway still has some VX II compact 3-9x RF specials with AO, CDS, and their windplex horizontal crosshair. Damned nice little scopes.

Tom

We have several of both sized EFRs, and prefer them to all others we have tried. I was just hoping there was something between the two Leupolds in magnification that was at least as good in quality. I have not found a foreign scope of sufficient magnification that will focus less than 50 yds. I am surprised by this, as at least Swarovski used to market a very nice Field Target scope for air rifles.

Last edited by BlackBranchFarm; 05/24/18.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have two Leupold 3-9 EFR Scopes. The older is badged as an Ultralight. The new one is badged as a .22 scope. I can't see any difference in them except the newer one may have better coatings and maybe a little brighter. I have had the older one on a .22, a springer air gun, then a .243 for years, until recently then back on a .22. The new one will go on a .22. They focus down to ten meters and up to infinity. I can't imagine the need for more X's for small game as I visualize such.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Tom

We have several of both sized EFRs, and prefer them to all others we have tried. I was just hoping there was something between the two Leupolds in magnification that was at least as good in quality. I have not found a foreign scope of sufficient magnification that will focus less than 50 yds. I am surprised by this, as at least Swarovski used to market a very nice Field Target scope for air rifles.

You can adjust the parallax o a Leupold scope yourself.
https://www.mcarbo.com/store/pg/33-adjusting-parallax-on-non-ao-scope.aspx

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BlackBranchFarms: I own four Leupold 6.5x20 EFR scopes and indeed they are an amazing tool!
But three of them are on centerfire Rifles. The fourth is on a rare Kimber S/V/T heavy barrel Rifle in 17 Mach2. This Kimber with that scope is a Ground Squirrel killing MACHINE!
I don't think I would recommend the 6.5x20 EFR Leupold for "all around" small game Hunting though.
That Kimber with the 6.5x20 EFR scope would be slightly difficult to Hunt more traditional small game animals with (Rabbits, Grouse etc).
If I was looking for a "high end, small game scope" I would definitely set my sights on a Leupold 3x9 Compact with adjustable objective (EFR).
I have a couple of these 3x9 EFR's on rimfire Rifles and they are the cat's meow!
They are hard to find though and somewhat pricey (though much less than an EFR 6.5x20 Leupold).
The Du-Plex reticle in my 3x9 EFR's is very pleasing to me and again I highly recommend one.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bcraig

Tom

You can adjust the parallax o a Leupold scope yourself.
https://www.mcarbo.com/store/pg/33-adjusting-parallax-on-non-ao-scope.aspx

Thank you for that. interesting read.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
BlackBranchFarms: I own four Leupold 6.5x20 EFR scopes and indeed they are an amazing tool!
But three of them are on centerfire Rifles. The fourth is on a rare Kimber S/V/T heavy barrel Rifle in 17 Mach2. This Kimber with that scope is a Ground Squirrel killing MACHINE!
I don't think I would recommend the 6.5x20 EFR Leupold for "all around" small game Hunting though.
That Kimber with the 6.5x20 EFR scope would be slightly difficult to Hunt more traditional small game animals with (Rabbits, Grouse etc).
If I was looking for a "high end, small game scope" I would definitely set my sights on a Leupold 3x9 Compact with adjustable objective (EFR).
I have a couple of these 3x9 EFR's on rimfire Rifles and they are the cat's meow!
They are hard to find though and somewhat pricey (though much less than an EFR 6.5x20 Leupold).
The Du-Plex reticle in my 3x9 EFR's is very pleasing to me and again I highly recommend one.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yes Sir, that is what we use most of the time. They are a good compromise, but the field of view is not really good enough for fast moving squirrels nor is the power enough for eye ring shots in late sesaon when they are further out. I was hoping there was something a little better out there, but I guess squirrel hunters are a dying breed and there just isn't anything out there.

Thanks to every one who contributed.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I have a 2-7 Kahles rimfire that I’m quite fond of. No A/O, but about perfect for squirrel hunting.

The suggestions of the Leupold EFR series are good. I have a couple of the 3-9 version. I don’t need or want higher power than that. They have A/O and can be focused really close. I have a 50’ indoor rimfire range over my carport/shop. The A/O allows perfect parallax setting.

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Zeiss made a 3=9X40 Conquest that was parallax adjusted to 50 yards.There are still some around. The Nightforce 2.5-10X42 NXS has parallax adjustment to 10 yards. There may also be some of the newer tactical type scopes that have parallax adjustment for close range.

My personal favorite rimfire hunting scope for squirrels is the Leupold VX2 4-12 AO with fine duplex. It is light and will focus to about 25 yards on 12X and closer on lower power.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've been over this ground before in your earlier thread, but the Tract Tekoa 3-12 focuses to 15 yards, has 34+ feet fov. Comes in
T-plex and a bdc model, 42 & 50mm objectives. Very sharp and clear, accurate adjustments. Side focus, lots of diopter for older eyes. Weighs about 20oz. $574 list, $402 for demos if there are any left.

I prefer the Leupy 3-9x33 ao for the compact size. Longest shot I ever made with one was 50 yards, but that was easy. Sorry I let that one go, but they're making more, I hear.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
good call Pappy.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42. Better glass than a VX6, incredible reticle, solid, repeatable, focus down to 10 yds, lots of internal adjustment. Not cheap, but less than a VX6HD.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
We've been over this ground before in your earlier thread, but the Tract Tekoa 3-12 focuses to 15 yards, has 34+ feet fov. Comes in
T-plex and a bdc model, 42 & 50mm objectives. Very sharp and clear, accurate adjustments. Side focus, lots of diopter for older eyes. Weighs about 20oz. $574 list, $402 for demos if there are any left.

I prefer the Leupy 3-9x33 ao for the compact size. Longest shot I ever made with one was 50 yards, but that was easy. Sorry I let that one go, but they're making more, I hear.

Unfortunately, I believe Leupold has stopped making the smaller EFR scope. At least I can't find them anywhere.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 160user, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 17 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.