Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Was there ever a general who lived more on his (trumped up) reputation then Bernard Montgomery?

Aside from Douglas MacArthur?

Both men were average generals whose country made them into something more because they were desperate for a hero.

Truman should have allowed Patton's Army to drive into eastern Germany.

“Factio democratica delenda est"

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Montgomery’s problem was he really couldn’t afford to lose men. England was literally running out of military aged men so Montgomery had to be super cautious. He didn’t want to attack until he was assured of victory in an overwhelming fashion. I’m pretty sure he’d have been much more aggressive if he’d had more men he could gamble with. I’m with Patton that it’s better to go fast , hard , and bloody because in the end you will lose less by ending the war sooner. I think Montgomery lost more than he saved by being so slow and cautious.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The first time I saw this movie was when it came out the first time in the theaters. I went with my Dad who was in the 82nd AB in North Africa, Sicily and Italy. Some of the scenes really got to him, but he thought it important for me to se it. From that time onward, I watch it at least once a year.....It makes me remember Dad and feel like a 13 year old kid again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An elderly neighbor has loaned me numerous WWII books in the last year or so. I think the clearest images of the many generals comes from several books derived from Eisenhower's perspective. Near every general is a type A personality, and each is fully convinced he should be the one in charge.

It takes some serious thought to say "no" to people like Montgomery, Churchill, Patton, and de Gaulle.

My parents, who attended a showing about once every ten years, made it known they would be seeing Patton when it made town. They thought it an accurate rendering.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great flick. One of my favorites. Watched the first half today.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Was there ever a general who lived more on his (trumped up) reputation then Bernard Montgomery?

Both men were average generals whose country made them into something more because they were desperate for a hero.

Of course he should have, but Truman was determined to help the Soviets end up in control of half of Europe after the war.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember when the movie came out. I was pretty young, not close to double digits yet. Mom and Dad got all dressed up and had an actual date, which was something they never did. Dad owned one suit, for weddings, funerals, and such. To honor his former commander, he actually bought a new suit to wear to the movie. They scrimped and saved so they could go. Money was beyond tight for our family, but Dad refused to miss this.

As for Montgomery, Dad couldn't stand the man, and found the Brits to be a major annoyance, and more in the way than anything else. He had little more respect for them than he did for the French. A soldier's view on things usually rings true.

Patton definitely had some faults, but if he was good enough for Dad to spend money he didn't have to get dressed up and go see the premiere of this movie to honor him, he gets my respect.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Call me a kookista but I believe that Patton was assassinated. He wasn't buying into the post-war propaganda blitz, quite the contrary. He was having none of it and wasn't afraid to say and write what he believed.

He was a loose end to be tied up.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by reivertom
The first time I saw this movie was when it came out the first time in the theaters. I went with my Dad who was in the 82nd AB in North Africa, Sicily and Italy. Some of the scenes really got to him, but he thought it important for me to se it. From that time onward, I watch it at least once a year.....It makes me remember Dad and feel like a 13 year old kid again.

my father-in-law was with the 82ndAB in North Africa too, told many stories and about > BULLY BEEF they ate with the English too

I wish America would go back to having the General Patton attitude and quit babying these countries !

Last edited by pete53; 05/27/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Sum up Montgomery in one phrase,

Market Garden

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Call me a kookista but I believe that Patton was assassinated. He wasn't buying into the post-war propaganda blitz, quite the contrary. He was having none of it and wasn't afraid to say and write what he believed.

He was a loose end to be tied up.

This. He knew the West was being sold out by a fifth column on the inside, and was actually writing his thoughts down.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Of course he should have, but Truman was determined to help the Soviets end up in control of half of Europe after the war.

Dimocraps were always benevolent to commies that way.

Ive known several retired military officers over the years who thought very little of Patton as a hero. He was always ready to have his troops die to benefit himself and he reveled in the glory bought by the blood of others.

His vehicle hit a landmine the morning of leaving the last base he visited and spent the night at as his vehicle went over the first ridge out of the valley after hosting a party the night before that he hosted in his own honor. My Maj uncle and multiple medaled war hero was there at the time.

Patton had ordered all officers to attend to be able to hobknob and befriend them as he knew he was not universally adored. Several officers didnt attend due to their disgust with him dancing on the graves of their men and their names were taken by order of Patton and were to be courts martialed later.

My uncle was one of those officers.

Someone didnt want that to happen.

There was no way the enemy could have gotten to the road out of the encampment overnight to plant a landmine as the road was heavily patrolled.

He was essentially assasinated by some of his own troops.

America had been through a hard war and had lost a lot of fathers, brothers and sons. It needed a hero to point to- someone who could be pointed to with pride in the knowledge he had kicked the Germans backside. They had that man of pride in the prima donna Patton, in spades.

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/27/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Market Garden

What a Clusterhuckypucky!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Market Garden

What a Clusterhuckypucky!

Yeah.

Apparently by 1944, Great Britain had enough military age men to waste again!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, he knew by then, he had ours to throw away, too.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Well, he knew by then, he had ours to throw away, too.

Precisely

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But the ones that got truly thrown away were his own 1st airborne.

Carpe' Scrotum
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Steve
But the ones that got truly thrown away were his own 1st airborne.

That was my original point! wink

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Truman was a big ego, contained in a little man. He always had to prove he was "as good as Roosevelt", and that was our undoing, especially in Korea. We had China and N Korea on the run and should have helped the Nationalist Chinese invade and kick Mao's azz. The Soviets bluffed him, and he pissed down his leg.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad took me to see it when I was 11.
Never forget it.
I still watch it from time to time.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (204guy, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 219DW, 67 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,303
Posts18,487,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.