Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cisco1
Little do you know, Fatty!

Obviously more than you if your actually talking about the beer cocktail.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Black & Tan : Guinness on top Harp or Bass on bottom.
Half & Half : Harp or Bass on top Guinness on bottom.

Black & Tan, half and half are the same exact thing.
Stout on top, ale on bottom. It’s a density thing.

Actually the specific gravities are very close to the same. It is actually a viscosity thing...

The specific gravities relative to each other allow for the stout to float on the ale. So yes it’s a density layering thing.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had a few pineapple and vodka’s at the Coupland Ballroom last night. Danced a bunch, moving slow today.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Little do you know, Fatty!

Obviously more than you if your actually talking about the beer cocktail.

Black & Tan : Guinness on top Harp or Bass on bottom.
Half & Half : Harp or Bass on top Guinness on bottom.

Black & Tan, half and half are the same exact thing.
Stout on top, ale on bottom. It’s a density thing.

Actually the specific gravities are very close to the same. It is actually a viscosity thing...

The specific gravities relative to each other allow for the stout to float on the ale. So yes it’s a density layering thing.

Sorry, but it is about viscosity... the more viscous beer is poured over the less viscous... it can be variably dense in either direction and work. It must be a more viscous beer on top.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah, yeah......gravity, viscosity, divinity, hydrocephaly, whatever. Some servers can keep it separate some can't. The can't part includes me. There's a knack to it I just don't have. BUT my black & tans are black and tan because the liquid body is black and the foamy head is tan. It all gets mixed up in the end anyway. And, yes, I'm sure this is joke material for some.

As far as what dark brew to use I'll say Guinness is one of the least truly desirable brands to use these days unless it's tradition you're after. And if it's just a straight up mug of good, dark, heavy brew you want Guinness is way back in the pack. Way, way back. When craft breweries were a mere hope for the future Guinness was one of few darks readily available and I thought it was great. Referred to it as beer you can chew. No more. It's a weak ancestor to today's grand versions. Even today's good porters easily outdistance Guinness. Founders Porter comes to mind; a 6% or 6.5% ABV. Very, very good and would work well for the dark half of the pour. Guinness in no way compares. But then today's Imperial Stouts readily available, usually 7% to around 9% ABV, dark and heavy malty brews, give Guinness back to the Budt Light crowd for when they want a "heavy". And I won't even get into the Bourbon Barrel aged stouts like Dragon's Milk, the wife's favorite. Matter of fact she won't touch a brew that's not heavy enough to pour upright into only the shadow of a frozen mug. One and done for her.

Today's really good IPAs compare almost in the same relationship with Bass and Harp. Those two are still nice ales but not to compare with a multitude of craft IPAs the the Limey Men of the Queen's Military in the tropics would have given their second concubine for. A few come to mind such as Voodoo Ranger Imperial, straight Voodoo Ranger, Sierra Nevada's Torpedo and a handful of it's special releases, Hop Nosh from Uinta Brewing, and 2X IPA from Southern Tier (make a fine 2X Stout as well), and many,many others. The old school ales are nice to remember but there's much better brew to drink.

Hey FieldGrade:
I will compliment you on your tastes in yard mowing beer though.
I drink at least one PBR every day...it keeps me grounded.

Sometimes just a plain old beer is what you need. And that ain't milla lite.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Miller lite......

teaching wimmen to drink outta the bottle since '75. Class act.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootem
The old school ales are nice to remember but there's much better brew to drink.

Very true..... these really are the good old days when it comes to beer..

Hey FieldGrade:

Again......"no arguments from here" ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, yeah......gravity, viscosity, divinity, hydrocephaly, whatever. Some servers can keep it separate some can't. The can't part includes me. There's a knack to it I just don't have. BUT my black & tans are black and tan because the liquid body is black and the foamy head is tan. It all gets mixed up in the end anyway. And, yes, I'm sure this is joke material for some.

As far as what dark brew to use I'll say Guinness is one of the least truly desirable brands to use these days unless it's tradition you're after. And if it's just a straight up mug of good, dark, heavy brew you want Guinness is way back in the pack. Way, way back. When craft breweries were a mere hope for the future Guinness was one of few darks readily available and I thought it was great. Referred to it as beer you can chew. No more. It's a weak ancestor to today's grand versions. Even today's good porters easily outdistance Guinness. Founders Porter comes to mind; a 6% or 6.5% ABV. Very, very good and would work well for the dark half of the pour. Guinness in no way compares. But then today's Imperial Stouts readily available, usually 7% to around 9% ABV, dark and heavy malty brews, give Guinness back to the Budt Light crowd for when they want a "heavy". And I won't even get into the Bourbon Barrel aged stouts like Dragon's Milk, the wife's favorite. Matter of fact she won't touch a brew that's not heavy enough to pour upright into only the shadow of a frozen mug. One and done for her.

Today's really good IPAs compare almost in the same relationship with Bass and Harp. Those two are still nice ales but not to compare with a multitude of craft IPAs the the Limey Men of the Queen's Military in the tropics would have given their second concubine for. A few come to mind such as Voodoo Ranger Imperial, straight Voodoo Ranger, Sierra Nevada's Torpedo and a handful of it's special releases, Hop Nosh from Uinta Brewing, and 2X IPA from Southern Tier (make a fine 2X Stout as well), and many,many others. The old school ales are nice to remember but there's much better brew to drink.

Hey FieldGrade:

Weak for one so learned on craft beer nuance and history.

It takes viscosity, period, to properly hold the division.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OMG. This is like the double mocha latte over cats pee and dog slobber...

Just gimme' a cold day beer.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't tried such a thing, but it seems odd to take allegedly carefully crafted brews and then mix or layer them, thus upsetting the designs of the makers. But if YOU like it, rock on. I'll stick with my Newcastle (now brewed in Holland, WTF) or Pilsner Urquell. Not averse to a good stout or other chewy brew on occasion, if I can find one here in the semi-sticks.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I drink beer for flavor. If all you want is alcohol, just swig some Everclear. I never understood the idea that higher alcohol makes a beer better. If that's why you rate Guiness lower (it has a fairly light alcohol content) then you and I do not think alike.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don’t order a Black and Tan in Ireland

That's why I call them half & half. Guinness and Smithwicks works well.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had a couple of Bud Lights before supper and a couple of Bourbon and Waters after. Never heard of mixing beers,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hey FieldGrade:

Specific gravity, or the ABV is what creates the division, and a careful pour (thus the spoon to gently pour the Guiness on the top of Harp). Harp is 5.0% ABV and Guiness draught is 4.3% ABV. If you chill the Harp colder than Guiness, it makes it easier to get a good pour.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

Specific gravity, or the ABV is what creates the division, and a careful pour (thus the spoon to gently pour the Guiness on the top of Harp). Harp is 5.0% ABV and Guiness draught is 4.3% ABV. If you chill the Harp colder than Guiness, it makes it easier to get a good pour.

Give up on that one WyColoCowboy with that poster. Sitka is a specific gravity denier.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Hey FieldGrade:

ABV is an element in Specific Gravity, but far from the only one. They are not the same thing. Having a denser beer at the bottom helps, but is not required.

But it is viscosity that allows the pour to work. Colder beer is more viscous.

Believe what you like, but you are attempting to ignore physical laws by doing so.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Give up on that one WyColoCowboy with that poster. Sitka is a specific gravity denier.

But I am very much a believer in basic physics...

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I drink beer for flavor. If all you want is alcohol, just swig some Everclear. I never understood the idea that higher alcohol makes a beer better. If that's why you rate Guiness lower (it has a fairly light alcohol content) then you and I do not think alike.

No, abv doesn't tell the whole story at all. Just generally the more malty the stout or porter the higher the alcohol content from my limited experience and I prefer that malty component in a dark beer. Guinness to my taste is just lighter than I like a stout to be. But the Founders Porter I mentioned is really rich and only in the 6% range, not very high at all. The 'maltier', if that's a word, IPAs are tastier to me too. The flavor as you said is the key but the tasty malt brings the alcohol along. As far as drinking for effect I limit myself to an enjoyable level. Drunk or a heavy buzz isn't isn't fun for me so I don't do it.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

Hey FieldGrade:

I'll take that poke and grin since we both know I ain't very learned at all. And it takes a smooth steady hand on top of the differing viscosities to make it work. I'm doing good to make oil float on water.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I had a couple of Bud Lights before supper and a couple of Bourbon and Waters after. Never heard of mixing beers,

That's a shame because if ever a beer needed mixing with something it's Bud Light. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

That's a shame because if ever a beer needed mixing with something it's Bud Light. grin

Zing!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 65 invisible), 3,124 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,263
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.