-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It’s always interesting in these “long-and-winding-road” threads to see the views from “here and there.”

If I were to back up and spend my serious hunting years in AK, it would be an easy choice for me at this point in time and having used a lot of cartridges, though certainly not all.

Without ‘splaining too many details, I love the .375, and would build (I’m a southpaw) an H&H at around 8.5lbs, scoped, slung, and loaded. I’d tap the receiver for 8x40’s, and epoxy those bases in for a low-range variable and seek to use the 250-gr TTSX or the 270-gr TSX. This set-up would answer all questions for me. I consider this old cartridge as The Mild Medium, good from near to far-enough.

Nothing against the 30/06 (I believe the overall most popular cartridge in AK) at all or any other person’s choice.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

It’s always interesting in these “long-and-winding-road” threads to see the views from “here and there.”

If I were to back up and spend my serious hunting years in AK, it would be an easy choice for me at this point in time and having used a lot of cartridges, though certainly not all.

Without ‘splaining too many details, I love the .375, and would build (I’m a southpaw) an H&H at around 8.5lbs, scoped, slung, and loaded. I’d tap the receiver for 8x40’s, and epoxy those bases in for a low-range variable and seek to use the 250-gr TTSX or the 270-gr TSX. This set-up would answer all questions for me. I consider this old cartridge as The Mild Medium, good from near to far-enough.

Nothing against the 30/06 (I believe the overall most popular cartridge in AK) at all or any other person’s choice.

I'm a fan of the 338 win mag, but your 375 HH logic is sound for sure....

Eat moose, burn spruce
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by pete53
The name used Buckshot came from hunting deer in the thick woods so in the early days deer hunters loaded big shot in their shotgun "muzzle loader type at first" then when shotgun shells were perfected bigger lead shot was loaded and used on deer at close range when deer ran and it got the name buckshot,some states it is still legal to use yet also. The guys I worked with said when they were sent to Viet Nam the wing guys on patrol used a shotgun with buckshot ,was said Charlie" viet cong" did not like when that lead came their way.

Sadly, Rick still has no sarcasm emoticon...

Rick is smarter than to mess with Vets, I have a lot of respect for Vets also .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The name used Buckshot came from hunting deer in the thick woods so in the early days deer hunters loaded big shot in their shotgun "muzzle loader type at first" then when shotgun shells were perfected bigger lead shot was loaded and used on deer at close range when deer ran and it got the name buckshot,some states it is still legal to use yet also. The guys I worked with said when they were sent to Viet Nam the wing guys on patrol used a shotgun with buckshot ,was said Charlie" viet cong" did not like when that lead came their way.

Sadly, Rick still has no sarcasm emoticon...

Rick is smarter than to mess with Vets, I have a lot of respect for Vets also .

My comment is very much out of context there and had nothing to do with vets. I was sarcastically referring to the etymology of buckshot and pete decided to take it literally.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone who suggests a 375 or even a 338 as an ideal “big game” rifle for Alaska is either a glutton for abuse or has never hunted very often or widely in the state. I’m sure either one , in some configuration, might work just fine in certain circumstances, but there are are good reasons why so much more ammo gets burned 40-60 grains at a time than in the larger doses.... and it has next to nothing to do with the economy of the ammo itself.

Then again, I have somehow convinced myself that a single rifle is ludicrous and I have no serious explanation for owning the 3/8 caliber in quadruplicate. crazy

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't imagine anything better than a 20 - 22" bbl'd Stainless 30-06 with whatever bullet deemed appropriate for the game pursued.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Anyone who suggests a 375 or even a 338 as an ideal “big game” rifle for Alaska is either a glutton for abuse or has never hunted very often or widely in the state.

Oh, ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone who suggests a 375 or even a 338 as an ideal “big game” rifle for Alaska is either a glutton for abuse or has never hunted very often or widely in the state. I’m sure either one , in some configuration, might work just fine in certain circumstances, but there are are good reasons why so much more ammo gets burned 40-60 grains at a time than in the larger doses.... and it has next to nothing to do with the economy of the ammo itself.

Then again, I have somehow convinced myself that a single rifle is ludicrous and I have no serious explanation for owning the 3/8 caliber in quadruplicate. crazy

grin I was a one-gun hunter for several years, and still are, although I have two rifles of the same caliber. From day one I liked the .338WM, so I stayed with it. But I have only hunted moose on the Elliott Highway, and tend to bypass bears since I eat what I kill and don't like bear meat. To me at least, any rifle from the .30-06 to the .375H&H is a perfect Alaska rifle, but the .338 is the one I chose. I could do very well with a .338-06 too, but there is nothing wrong with any of these. It's one of those things; the .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM are quite popular with hunters in Alaska. Then the .7mm Magum, and .375H&H. In reality, anything you are the most proficient with and use to hunt in Alaska, from a bow to a gun, could be your ideal hunting weapon or gun.

Since this old vet gets older by the day, maybe I should switch to a marlin .30-30, or even a 6.5 Creedmoor? Just kidding smile

Last edited by Ray; 05/30/18.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Brad
I can't imagine anything better than a 20 - 22" bbl'd Stainless 30-06 with whatever bullet deemed appropriate for the game pursued. in a synthetic stock wink

Oh, c'mon. Where's the fun in sensible simplicity?
smile

Last edited by ironbender; 05/30/18. Reason: added red

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
I can't imagine anything better than a 20 - 22" bbl'd Stainless 30-06 with whatever bullet deemed appropriate for the game pursued.

wink

Ironbender,

My .338WM Ruger Haweye African has a 22" barrel, and express sights. Has a sort of dull-gray finish, and no muzzle brake. The stock is a McMillan Classic with a Decelerator recoil pad cut down at the factory to a 12-1/2" LOP. The thing is heavy (over 8 pounds empty), but no problems with recoil. I really like the looks of this rifle, regardless of caliber.

Last edited by Ray; 05/30/18.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't imagine anything better than a 20 - 22" bbl'd Stainless 30-06 with whatever bullet deemed appropriate for the game pursued. in a synthetic stock wink

smile

Yeah... a real buzz killer smile

I see you expanded the spec with a synthetic stock... I must be slipping, but I guess I felt it was a given. But it’s true, a lot of these 24hr chaps need stuff overexplained!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well, if we're playing the Captain Obvious game.......

grin

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Anyone who suggests a 375 or even a 338 as an ideal “big game” rifle for Alaska is either a glutton for abuse or has never hunted very often or widely in the state.

Oh, ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Perhaps I should explain...

While most hunting - or hunters anyway- seem to be focused along or near the road accesses, for obvious and practical reasons, the majority of the better hunting is found beyond road access points. For this reason and from this perspective, one can better appreciate that you either beat yourself up with the larger heavier rifles which magnums typically are in carrying them, or they beat you up when you fire them repeatedly in a more svelte configuration. Obviously if you are only planning to kill a single animal, the recoil of a lightweight 338 may not be a big deal. But i certainly don’t relish the thought of hunting wolves or caribou where several rapid shots may be necessary, especially when something like a 30-06 is well beyond the minimums for positive effect.

(I have probably carried and killed more with 1. 7mm-08, 20” ; 2. 30-06, 22”; followed by 6mm and 45-70 but then I’m starting to get more species specific in what I target.). I would very happily choose a 280 or 30-06 to do it all if I was insane enough to be such a minimalist. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Certainly.

In my experience, I’ve found — highly subjective I know — the 375 with a proper stock to be kinder than most 338’s I’ve had and shot, and including many of the 300 magnums I’ve shot. And in no more than 8.5 lbs; I’d even go 8 even with a classicly shaped stock with very little drop at the comb and a wide, tall butt pad.

I see it as a big cartridge without being a bad or punishing one with some consistent use and in my present minimalist state-of-mind, it can be used on anything with the 270-gr TSX or the 250-gTTSX right out to four hundred yards.

Anyway, I’ve noticed the older you get, the more opinionated you get, and occasionally you’re even right.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Certainly.

In my experience, I’ve found — highly subjective I know — the 375 with a proper stock to be kinder than most 338’s I’ve had and shot, and including many of the 300 magnums I’ve shot. And in no more than 8.5 lbs; I’d even go 8 even with a classicly shaped stock with very little drop at the comb and a wide, tall butt pad.

I see it as a big cartridge without being a bad or punishing one with some consistent use and in my present minimalist state-of-mind, it can be used on anything with the 270-gr TSX or the 250-gTTSX right out to four hundred yards.

Anyway, I’ve noticed the older you get, the more opinionated you get, and occasionally you’re even right.

A properly fitted stock on both a .338WM or .375H&H tames recoil well, specially if both are on the heavy side. Mine works quite well. Besides that, when developing loads for it I shoot it numerous times until I get to the right one, but do so on a lead-sled smile

Just for practice without the lead-sled, I shoot reduced loads with lighter weight bullets, or just a .22LR bolt-action rifle of a similar design as the .338WM rifle I hunt with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I resemble that! 😁

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I resemble that! 😁

Was a reference to myself. 😉

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I resemble that! 😁

Was a reference to myself. 😉

Oh, I beg to differ. 😝 that’s a shoe that fits me well......too, then. 😏

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Maybe youse fellers wear the same extrytuffs?!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe youse fellers wear the same extrytuffs?!

Thinking more along the line of pumps...

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1234, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 56 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,211
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.