Print Thread
Hop To
J
jrod Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I just got a great deal on a sporterized 03 springfield in 220 swift. After I got it home and started disassembling it to clean and inspect, I found that it had three holes drilled and tapped in it for mounting scope bases. The problem is that one of the holes is behind the area where the bolt lugs lock up. there is roughly 1/4 of an inch of steel between the lugs and the hole, but is that enough. I am worried that this has weakened the receiver and made it unsafe. Should I go ahead and try to find a donor receiver and replace this one, or am I wrong in thinking that it is not safe to shoot? Any info would be appreciated.

GB1

Bug Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hmmmmm,
Is it weaker? Most definitely.
Now the question becomes:
"Is it weak enough to be dangerous?"
That's tough. I'll answer with a qualified no. Here's why:
There has been tons of discussion about early Springfields and their heat treatment. It has been pretty well established that the early ones were brittle, and could/would shatter, due to improper heat treatment. SOME of those have been re-heat treated, and some haven't. After a point (generally accepted to be between serial number 750,00 and 800,000 at Springfield and by serial number 285,506 at Rock Island Arsenal), the actions were more properly heat treated, and are now deemed "safe". So much from the brittleness issue.
Then there is the issue of the holes drilled in the front ring. Due to the fact that there are three drilled and tapped holes, I would guess that your receiver doesn't fall into the brittle group. That would be a JOB, and would likely have cracked the receiver. Of course, it could have been spot-annealed, and could still be brittle! But let's suppose it isn't. The three holes have definately weakened the front ring. The hole in the upper locking lug abutment is probably the worst. However I have seen dozens of rifles drilled like this with no aparent problems. Some have been chambered for cartridges I wouldn't even put in these old actions at all. Still they survive (amazingly), with aparently no ill effects. Some folks are lucky that way.
One thing to remember, is that the top lug is only half of the lock-up. There is another lug on the bottom, doing the same job. Also, there is the third, or safety lug, that protects you too. That's my take on the hole(s) issue.
Lastly we get to the main safety factor. That one is between your ears. This action is likely nearing 100 years old. Just how much pressure do you want to subject it to, with your face planted right behind it? It is not "modern technology steel", and pressures for the 1903/06 30 caliber cartridge were quite mild, by today's standards. Use some sense. Work up your loads with a chronograph, and keep them within reason. Velocity equals pressure. Enjoy your rifle, but don't "push" it, and you should be as safe as this somewhat risky sport allows.
Of course this information is worth about 50% less than you paid, and I categorically deny any and all liabilities for any actions taken by you or your agents, bystanders, lookers-on, or anyone else in the known universe. Gotta have deniability!
Oops, I almost forgot. An excellent paper on Springfields:
Springfields

J
jrod Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks for the info. I wasn't too concerned about the brittle receiver as it is a higher serial number. It was that third hole in the lug abutment that really had me concerned. From what you say it sounds like she should still be shootable. I don't like to push my loads to max pressures in my newer guns, much less my older ones. Thanks as well for the springfield article, good info there!

Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
There is NO problem with the three holes, drilled as you describe. That is the pattern for the various 1-piece mounts such as Redfield, Burris, etc. There is plenty of strength in the receiver to allow scope mounting on a Springfield. That is the type of mount used on the sniper versions that were made up by the Army.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 43 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,747
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.