Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Forget the 7x57.

7mm08 would be about right, if you don't reload go 308. Or flip a coin.

21" barrel, .6 at the muzzle is what I do with many rifles.

+1!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by magshooter1
For the hunting situations described my go to would be my Ruger M77 Mk II RSI in .308 with its Kahles AH 2-7x36. 165g NBT loaded over a book max of 3031 gets me an avg. velocity of 2675 fps. Inside 250 yds that'll get it done with authority on any deer sized animal.

That's a nice compact and handy lil' package.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could make one out of say a stainless Ruger Mk II with a Kevlar stock and Zeiss scope like I did, or you could just pick up a nice used older Savage 99F in .300 Savage and mount a 1.5-5x20 Leupold with the heavy duplex and call it done. That .300 Savage recoils less than a .308 and does the same thing to deer. I always thought that those 99's were kind of ugly until I bought one for my kid at a collector gun show and shot and carried it a little. That rounded receiver and the F's light weight make it a perfect one handed carry rambling deer rifle.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It would be pretty tough to beat a short barreled (20-22”) lightweight .308 Win.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My Kimber Montana in 7-08 with Vortex Razor 1.5-8X32 fills that role very nicely. I recommend one, or a Fieldcraft in 7-08 if you can swing the $$$. A nice 1.5-8 or 1.5-6 scope is a must at those ranges deer hunting. I really like the lower power for most shots and it's great when you jump one in the thick stuff.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by buttstock
For a short action, a chambering from .26 to .338 or 358” caliber on the 308 Win family of cartridges will be very effective on deer. A 22” barrel is a nice balance, but it's your choice The 7x57 ( 8x57 for that matter) are fantastic options, but not the best option for a true short action.

I prefer a fixed 2.5x, 3x or 4x for my hunting needs in Maine forests. I also like back up sights (rear receiver and post front sight). Pick the action you like. There are many good choices.

What do I use for deer hunting? Marlin 336a 30-30 (24” bbl, 1976 vintage) Weaver k2.5x scope, with 170 grainSpeer / ww748 reloads; JC. Higgins model 50 ( FN action, 22” bbl) 30-06 w/ 4x Leupold, Timney trigger, 180 or 200 grain flat-base spitzers over non-max IMR 4350 reloads.

You will find your question has been asked 100s of times on the internet. There are 100s of answers. Just about all will work. Fun to dream, but in the end, use what YOU like.

The 308 Win will likely have more factory ammo availability in small town general stores, in case you need ammo in an “ oops, I forgot something” situation.

Don’t overthink it. A 308 Winchester on a short action of your choice with a fixed 4x Leupold will never let you down for a deer hunting rig to 300++ yards with a 165-180 grain cup/core plain jane, low-cost, flat-base bullet - with factory ammo available everywhere. There is beauty in simplicity.

This will work.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tzone
It would be pretty tough to beat a short barreled (20-22”) lightweight .308 Win.

+1, just make mine a 7mm-08. Sure many would argue a 6.5 creed as well. Factory ammo only, 308

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Fireboss: Many years ago I decided to buy/make a "mountain Rifle" that would serve me as a Whitetail Rifle as well as one I could (and did!) take to Alaska for backpack type Mt. Goat Hunting/Black Bear Hunting.
I ended up buying a Remington 700 ADL and buying a McMillan stock for it.
I decided on a 3.5x10 Leupold variable with A/O for it and this Rifle has indeed accounted for an all time Boone & Crockett Records book Mt. Goat for me, along with Whitetailed Deer, Black Bear, Mule Deer, Antelope and Elk.
This Rifle shoots VERY well and its going along on a Caribou Hunt with me should that bucket list item come to fruition.
My 308 "mountain Rifle" has the factory 22" barrel on it. I shoot 165 grain Nosler Partition bullets in it, for everything!
Consider the 308 Winchester for more of an "all around" Rifle that also works splendidly on Whitetails.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ChipM

+1, just make mine a 7mm-08. Sure many would argue a 6.5 creed as well. Factory ammo only, 308

Yep, any of the above @ 20-21" in a McMillan edge stock would suit me just fine.
Though my barrel would be a little chubbier than most would prefer, say, Rem Mag contour - ish. shocked

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm with you Skane. Make mine a 7-08, 22" bbl, and not a skinny one.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Today, it's a 243 with a fixed 6x40.
Someday... might step up to a slow 6.5 Creedmoor as I suspect it might not be as noisy in a shorter barrel, and also should be a little easier on the meat at shorter ranges. And factory ammo is starting to show up everywhere.
I'd probably go with something in the six to six and a half pound range (bare rifle). Not too heavy, not too light. And I'd lean heavily towards a 2-7x33 scope on a carbine-ish length rifle with a 20 to 22 inch barrel for the 264 Creed.
Although I do still love the little 243 cartridge.

Been down the 30-06, 8mm, 308, and 270 road and they are all fine if you have one in a rifle you like.
For my personal comfort though, these don't match up as well to the weight of rifle I want to shoot vs the weight of rifle I want to carry.
Except for the 8x57 factory ammo, if you can find it, is pretty mild in a short light rifle. But rangy-ness with the factory ammo is probably more akin to a 30-30 than a 270. Also, scopeable rifles in this Mauser cartridge don't grow on the trees that sprout in my neck of the woods. And I like scopes.

And I do love the 30-30 in a lever carbine. I've had a couple and really need another one. 336 with a Leupy 1-4x20 shotgun scope should be just right.
Although I'd prefer one of it's lighter weight variarions, maybe with the half mag tube, possibly straight stock, maybe even birch. So it may be a while for my search to yield results.
I've considered a 94AE or even a Mossy 464, but haven't been able to fully warm up to the idea yet.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by ChipM

Yep, any of the above @ 20-21" in a McMillan edge stock would suit me just fine.
Though my barrel would be a little chubbier than most would prefer, say, Rem Mag contour - ish. shocked

Rem mag contour you say? I know just what you mean. I have a 700 LVSF, 22" factory short mag contour, set into a McMillan 700 Classic.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Those 700 LVSF's do look just right. Love the heavy fluted 22" barrel. And the slimmer McMillan stock would be perfect.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mike74
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
If you are a venison lover and concerned about preserving the meat of the deer, check out a rifle in the 50 BMG. A well-known Texan showed how he sucked the eyeballs and the breath right out of WT doe by the bullet just whizzing by the deer. Missed it completely but killed it. I suspect it'll do the same thing to a Mule Deer or probably even an elk but I suspect you have to get awful close to the nose/mouth area for it to work...lol. If you can do that with the 50 cal. and save all the meat of a deer (because I do love me some venison), the 50 BMG would have to be the ultimate WT rifle and that is what you are seeking to do. Plus...I suspect it will even outshoot the CM at longer ranges. After all...the record for a sniper kill was made with a .50 caliber rifle. However, I think he had to hit the dude with the bullet. I'm not sure it has enough left at 1 1/2 miles to suck the eyeballs out of a deer or a man at that distance. Maybe someone on here will know if you can or not...

P.S...I mostly use a Marlin XL7 in a 25/06 which is a lethal cartridge for WT's and the little Marlin is about as handy as a pocket on a shirt. It's lightweight, low recoil, and with the cheap 120 gr. Remington CL's, it does a great job on anchoring a WT quickly. Even though I will take other rifles from time to time, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If I were going to buy someone just getting a new (to them) rifle, I would look through the gun and pawn shops to find another little Marlin in that cartridge. It just works.

You do know Keith "High Fence" Warren was full of crap about that 50 BMG kill right?

Yes Sir...the 1st paragraph was tongue-in-cheek. Just having a little fun. How he could make that claim with a straight face is beyond me...lol

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
For 250 yards or less, I cannot see a reason for a barrel longer than 20". It is plenty for a great deal further than that and much better to handle and carry unless chambered in a short range cartridge to begin with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike74
If you are a venison lover and concerned about preserving the meat of the deer, check out a rifle in the 50 BMG. A well-known Texan showed how he sucked the eyeballs and the breath right out of WT doe by the bullet just whizzing by the deer. Missed it completely but killed it. I suspect it'll do the same thing to a Mule Deer or probably even an elk but I suspect you have to get awful close to the nose/mouth area for it to work...lol. If you can do that with the 50 cal. and save all the meat of a deer (because I do love me some venison), the 50 BMG would have to be the ultimate WT rifle and that is what you are seeking to do. Plus...I suspect it will even outshoot the CM at longer ranges. After all...the record for a sniper kill was made with a .50 caliber rifle. However, I think he had to hit the dude with the bullet. I'm not sure it has enough left at 1 1/2 miles to suck the eyeballs out of a deer or a man at that distance. Maybe someone on here will know if you can or not...

P.S...I mostly use a Marlin XL7 in a 25/06 which is a lethal cartridge for WT's and the little Marlin is about as handy as a pocket on a shirt. It's lightweight, low recoil, and with the cheap 120 gr. Remington CL's, it does a great job on anchoring a WT quickly. Even though I will take other rifles from time to time, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If I were going to buy someone just getting a new (to them) rifle, I would look through the gun and pawn shops to find another little Marlin in that cartridge. It just works.

You do know Keith "High Fence" Warren was full of crap about that 50 BMG kill right?

Yes Sir...the 1st paragraph was tongue-in-cheek. Just having a little fun. How he could make that claim with a straight face is beyond me...lol

Because he's a tool (or is that fool?)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You don't need to build one. Winchester offers the classic compact. I have used mine, in .308, for many years to hunt whitetails here in Minnesota. I like the 180 Nosler Partition in it. Most deer shot with it are one shot kills that are dead right there. very lightweight to carry around the woods. Accurate enough for 250 yard shots. I think you can get it in 7-08 as well.

Try one, you will like it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

A 50 does no damage to a deer when shot through the lungs either. BTDT. Not impressed at all. Deer ran about 200 steps before falling over. So much for 50s, but mine is fun to shoot and some day I'll shoot a deer with a TSX just to see.

Of course warren is a dumb ass and we know that.

To the topic, which ever round you like, the most important thing to me, a TOP smith and a TOP barrel.

I've shot more than a couple of deer and just flat have not found any round to kill em DRT with lung shots. So it doesn't much matter to me really. I've actually probably had the most DRT lungs from 243 FWIW... They run a bit no big deal.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Sure ain't a need for a super accurate custom rifle to kill deer at 250 yards. Almost any off the shelf rifle is plenty good for that. I wouldn't hesitate at that range with one of my lever .30-30's and haven't. I've killed several with my Winchester and Marlin .30-30's between 200 and 250 yards. One shot apiece.

Last edited by Blackheart; 05/30/18.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
A bunch of long winded bastards

Not to mention the judgemental short-winded ones.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (300_savage, 1badf350, 2ndwind, 117LBS, 204guy, 1lessdog, 27 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,791
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.