Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#12890069 05/30/18
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So knowing it would be a slow week for me work wise and knowing there was a minus tide this morning I figured I better go find some razor clams. Low was at about 8:00AM and I live about 2 hours from the coast so out the door at 4:00, on the beach at 5:45 and all done with my limit of 15 by about 7:45. Hard to tell in the picture but all where decent size.

Anyway, heck of a fun way to spend the morning and have the bonus of some really good eats! Gotta love fresh pan fried razors wink Anybody else ever dig razor clams??

[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love clams! Razors and geoduck especially!

Couple weeks back I had some razors that had been canned with what I guess to have been a bit of olive oil and a touch of garlic and smoke.

Holy lord they were outstanding! About broke my tongue off tryin' ta lick the jar!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Love eating em and digging em. We got screwed on digs this year, still got some in the freezer thank god

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey Judman that looks like the king Kahuna of razors!! You guys up in Washington get some bigger clams I think. I head up to Long Beach a couple times a year and always get some nice ones up there. Since our beaches are open every day I think they end up getting hammered and don't grow as big??

"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You can dig anytime down there??? They got us cut back to just a handful of digs annually. Might have to buy a non res license down there.

As far as size, I’ve noticed the farther north you go the bigger they get. I like to go up copalis, some mossbacks up there.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Judman,
Yes our beaches are open every day - but they do give them a rest and close it from July 15 to September 30th. Otherwise you can go every day you have a decent tide. Todays was a .7 minus so not bad and the surf wasn't too rough but pretty much had to pound to get any to show. Only found a couple obvious donuts in the sand:)
Best stretch of beach is probably from Gearhart to the South Jetty of the Columbia. Sunset Beach and north is always a good area to try. And I think for the shellfish license its not that costly even for a non-res.

"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Cool thanks!! Might have to give it a try, pull the RV down for the weekend

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hell the non res shellfish license is $28. Not much father of a drive I’ll check er out after huntin season. Thanks for the tip!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
So knowing it would be a slow week for me work wise and knowing there was a minus tide this morning I figured I better go find some razor clams. Low was at about 8:00AM and I live about 2 hours from the coast so out the door at 4:00, on the beach at 5:45 and all done with my limit of 15 by about 7:45. Hard to tell in the picture but all where decent size.

Anyway, heck of a fun way to spend the morning and have the bonus of some really good eats! Gotta love fresh pan fried razors wink Anybody else ever dig razor clams??

[Linked Image]

We have beaches open every day, but digging is usually limited to the better tides, especially spring and fall tides, just because of the effort required to access them. Of course we have no limits on the hard to reach places and get them by the buckets. Dimples not required, just dig a hole and start collapsing it in to expose the clams. Many buckets can be dug on a single tide in lots of areas.

Where we have good access we are limited to 60 per day or fewer. After a horrible winter a couple years ago the season has been closed on many readily accessible beaches.

While there are lots of things to be done with them, chowder is still my favorite... lots of bacon and clams, butter, cream, and potatoes.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Boy that sounds like a hellava lotta work cleaning that many....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wish I liked them, something about the texture and me just doesn't jive. I've tried them a couple of times at local restaurants (pan fried) and dug a bunch and ended up giving them away. I can literally walk out the door and be clamming in five minutes

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I wish I liked them, something about the texture and me just doesn't jive. I've tried them a couple of times at local restaurants (pan fried) and dug a bunch and ended up giving them away. I can literally walk out the door and be clamming in five minutes

How can you not like clam chowder?
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really relish those, but the coast of 6 hours away.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Some great minus tides coming up the end of next week - better go get em while you can!!

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One morning's dig a couple years ago. 240 clams in just a couple hours. Cleaning them all took a bit longer.
[Linked Image]

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
One morning's dig a couple years ago. 240 clams in just a couple hours. Cleaning them all took a bit longer.
[Linked Image]

Unbroken ones are done very quickly... it's the broken ones that really slow you down...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Thats a lotta clams!!! Hate to have to clean all those but man you'd have some good eats when you where all done!

"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

Lotta good groceries right there!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
[Linked Image]

Unbroken ones are done very quickly... it's the broken ones that really slow you down...

You aren't kidding.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,835 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,711
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.