Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I"m saying he uses what he uses because of it's proven accuracy and he kicks everyone's ass with it. He likes that. He doesn't use 7mags.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Again, would he get his assed kicked if he shot a 6 BR, Dasher or 6x47 Lapua, without the inherent accuracy of the 6XC?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by HawkI
Again, would he get his assed kicked if he shot a 6 BR, Dasher or 6x47 Lapua, without the inherent accuracy of the 6XC?

Who knows?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by smokepole
Well, I believe I owe Mr. Redgwell an apology. Here I was thinking he was talking about everything but the subject of the OP, and after reading it I see that he was actually answering the question.

Yes, some cartridges are more accurate than others, but that wasn't the question.

Carry on.

He said there's no such thing as an inherently accurate cartridge. I said he's FOS. Who's right?

I think we need an arm-wrassling wrassle-off. You're both right.

Edited to add: It's obvious to me that some cartridges inherently have the capacity to be shot more accurately than others.

Is the Creedmoor one of those? Beats me. I never thought inherent accuracy was the draw with the cartridge.

Last edited by smokepole; 05/30/18.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ok just to pee on the parade. Is the 6.5x47 Lapua inherently mo accurate than the Creedmoor? If you pursues some target match results you might think this could be valid. But also there is a lot of follow the leader sort of copy catting in the bench rest arena.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tejano
Ok just to pee on the parade. Is the 6.5x47 Lapua inherently mo accurate than the Creedmoor? If you pursues some target match results you might think this could be valid. But also there is a lot of follow the leader sort of copy catting in the bench rest arena.

Copy cat?

Of course. Competitors follow winning combos, follow the leader, follow leading trends in technology.

Look at the PPC phenomenon, before that, Mike Walker's .222 with the BR crowd.

Same thing now, just different rounds, different powders, different bullets, different applications including LR, etc.

This new technology is really great, better now than during the half century I've been reloading and shooting.

Some loony type hunters follow these trends. Old timers probably sticking more with what has worked for decades, less enthralled with newfangled fads, like smokeless powder... grin

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just looked at the Pennsylvania light gun top ten roster. Several 6.5x47s, Dashers and 6XCs but nary a Creedmoor. Heavy gun fewer 6mms but still no Creedmoors. I was a little surprised there was not a one. I am sure either the 6 or 6.5 CM could be competitive but who knows why no one uses it. Bet some of the High Power and other AR platform events would show more Creedmoors.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Apparently, the cartridge does matter...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It do, it do. But not as much as us gun geeks think or perhaps I am wrong on this too.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I was in the Bergara custom shop in Georgia last year, doing a tour along with some other "industry" folks. Someone asked the primary gunsmith what factory ammunition they use to meet their accuracy standard and he gave a few examples for different cartridges. When asked about the 6.5 Creedmoor his answer was "they shoot anything".

I probably tested 10 rifles from various manufacturers last year chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, I can't recall one of them not shooting really well. Yes, the factory ammo is very good thanks to great brass, bullets and generally low bullet run-out but there's also an inherent advantage to the cartridge design itself.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tejano

When/if I go to a 6.5 and its not x284 it will be 6.5x 47 Lapua....but YMMV.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I say your FOS.

“I have shot many calibers over the years . . . only the .308 Winchester is as easy to load for as the 6XC. When I started playing with the 115gr DTACs at 1000 yards I could immediately tell that when one gets the unexplained shot (that occasionally happens) the 6XC is much more forgiving in the result — which means instead of wide 10 or even a 9-ring shot, the 6XC’s bad shot is a mid-ring 10.” — David Tubb

A slightly funny note... David had the 6xc and the new bolt gun, tube 2000 IIRC, and he and I both had totally new rifles to us, going to the state matches in TX that year. Fairly sure David won the match, I never could shoot offhand well enough to have a fighting chance and could often drop a point or so at the rapids to boot.

but that day with a gun I'd never shot at 600, I managed to shoot the first 200 on the range up at Waco TX, and David dropped 4 points IIRC. His 6xc having been beaten by a 223 service rifle.

He was really cool about it too. And its the last time ( and was the first) I've ever been able to beat David in a match. LOL.

I read all about his non trust of 7 mags at long range and still had to built one... IIRC it was something about speed, if not over 280 type speed ok, but if 7 mag type or more... watch out..

The 7mag off the 300 wtby I had built, I'm still blaming the Douglas tube on, but its so far away from being accurate enough to shoot long deer with its not funny. Its barely trustable for 200 yard head shots.

And like others have said, most days David could beat me and everyone else with a 30-30. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Jack O'Connor considered the 270 to be slightly more accurate on average than the 30-06.

Mainly because of the quality of rifles.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Jack O'Connor considered the 270 to be slightly more accurate on average than the 30-06.

In that case, comparing those two rounds, probably true.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
rost495, I love the 7mm Rem Mags too. IIRC Tubb had something to say about pressure spike probability/possibility with that cartridge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have always been under the impression that you can make any cartridge "inherently accurate," all things being equal. Take a 30-30 Winchester for example, design a rifle around it that's built for accuracy, with the right action, stock, and barrel with the correct rate of twist. Load it with a good bullet, and it will more than likely shoot itty bitty groups.

I shot a group - cloverleaf at 50 yds, under .2" - with a 30/30 TC Contender, 10" factory barrel, using Factory 150 Corelokts, and a 2x EER.

I guess I must agree.....well in my case it was a handgun smile

The Swede has a taper, and very accurate....... you can find this on google...

"This can be seen in the fact the 1999 British Long-Range Benchrest Championship was won by a Tikka Continental in 6.5x55. Group size was an almost unbelievable 10 rounds into 4.4 inches at 1,000 yards"

Many variables play into accuracy, but trends show, and the Creed tends to produce great accuracy....perhaps now with Lapua brass, the difference between it and the 47 is nil.......but I'd place my bet on a 47 if shooting for all out accuracy/precision in competition.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

[/quote]

"This can be seen in the fact the 1999 British Long-Range Benchrest Championship was won by a Tikka Continental in 6.5x55. Group size was an almost unbelievable 10 rounds into 4.4 inches at 1,000 yards"

[/quote]

If he had only used the Creemoor he might have shot a 4.3" group.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

There is more metal, on average, with a 270. (smaller hole)

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe it would be useful to kick around a few cartridges considered to be inherently INaccurate, if such exist (and where it can't be blamed on the firearm itself).

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
rost495, I love the 7mm Rem Mags too. IIRC Tubb had something to say about pressure spike probability/possibility with that cartridge.

Yeah, I read about pressure spikes in the 7RM. From what I understand, the test barrels may have had rough throats.

My 7RM has a new Brux, no erosion. I don't mind running it at full throttle.

I think they said similar about the .243. The 6mm Rem runs faster and at 65K...

DF

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 219DW, 222ND, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,392 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,748
Posts18,535,483
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.