Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I'm looking for advice for a friend I recently sold a BACO Winchester Featherweight Stanless to in 30.06. I bought the gun used, never shot it and sold it to him. He cannot get it to shoot any better than a 2" group at 100 yds. 2" groups were his best so far. His last shots of day were with Federal Premium 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip ammo. Waited 15 minutes between shots 3.75 inch 2 shot group at 100 yards. He can shoot groups under 1" with his 760 pump with the same ammo. I know these guns weren't know for being the best shooters out there, but I would think you could get better performance than what he's getting. Any suggestions on a different ammo or what else he could try?

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Might check that action screws are snug and see if the forestock is touching or exerting pressure anywhere in the barrel channel. Doesn't sound like the scope, but wouldn't hurt to verify it is mounted securely (no loose screws in rings or mounts) and the scope isn't in a bind. Another thought might be to give the bore a good cleaning since you say you bought it used. Could be fouled? Just some scattered thoughts on troubleshooting.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
BACO Model 70 Featherweights actually are known for shooting well. I''d be surprised if you can't get things close to 1 MOA with a little tinkering.

First, torque the action screws to spec. The front one might be too long, in which case it can bottom out on the barrel shank and screw things up. If the action screws are OK, then make sure that the scope is mounted as outlined here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...367363/1/scope-mounting-to-maintain-zero Again, torque is important.

If those two steps don't change things, then try another scope.

Also, that rifle might not shoot its best groups with that load, so definitely try different ammo. I've had very good luck with cheap Federal blue-box 180-grain loads in several rifles. Federal's Fusion loads tend to be accurate as well. If your buddy handloads, then have him try a 180-grain Sierra over 55 grains of IMR 4350. It's a time-honored 30-06 accuracy load.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I agree that swapping the scope is a good idea but rule out that the current one is securely mounted too before pulling the old one off. You can waste a lot of ammo troubleshooting accuracy with a bad scope or mount.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I know the Leupold scope itself is good. I had it on a different rifle and it shot great.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The three featherweights I have are all tack drivers...223, 6.5 x 55, and 7 x 57...

all info above is good advise... mine were all bedded by previous owners...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Guard screws, mounts, rings are likely culprits. Go there first.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good advice given. Follow the suggestions. As for your Leopold being good. Well, I've had a few go tits up, so don't assume it's not the culprit. I'd also make sure the bore isn't copper fouled. Another note on the bore, some of those bacos had extremely rough bores that take more rounds, downrange, to break in. A buddies EW was so bad that it shot 4" groups at 100 yards. It didn't matter what kind of ammo he used. It didnt start shooting moa groups until after around 600 rounds down the tube.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go back to basics. Action screws, scope base screws, scope mounts.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That rifle does not line that load, try another. I have a Blaser R-93 in 7mm RM it will not shoot 160 gr Nosler Partition Fed Premium load as accurate as I would that thought it would. Around 2 inches, plenty for game shooting, but I tried some 150 gr Federal Blue box and Federal Fusions, half to three quarter inch groups. So some barrels may not like some loads or bullets. While I was a little disappointed since I like the 160's but since I bought the rifle 12 years ago now, I have killed 24 head of game with it, and the 150 gr bullets and not a problem. My guess a 165 or 180 gr load will shoot, if not then look at the bedding, or the crown if all the other things have been looked at. And yea I swap out a scope too. My barrel just doesn't like the 160's as loaded by Federal.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Good advice given. Follow the suggestions. As for your Leopold being good. Well, I've had a few go tits up, so don't assume it's not the culprit. I'd also make sure the bore isn't copper fouled. Another note on the bore, some of those bacos had extremely rough bores that take more rounds, downrange, to break in. A buddies EW was so bad that it shot 4" groups at 100 yards. It didn't matter what kind of ammo he used. It didnt start shooting moa groups until after around 600 rounds down the tube.

I would've never had the patience to put 600 rounds down the tube of something shooting 4" groups.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Youper
Go back to basics. Action screws, scope base screws, scope mounts.

That... But if all checks out OK, then check for a free-floated barrel.. If not, remove the action, remove the crap Win calls 'bedding' and do a good glass bed to include the first 1-1.5" of barrel in front of the receiver - then ensure the rest of the barrel is floated..

If all this doesn't work I'd suggest a close inspection of the crown.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I would've never had the patience to put 600 rounds down the tube of something shooting 4" groups.

Me either man. He doesn't hand load and the ammo he was buying was expensive. It was a 300wsm and he said "It's going to start shooting better, or I'll be putting a new barrel on it!!!!" He had that barrel smoking hot that range session. I don't condone that, but he was pissed and that rifle finally settled in and shoots moa now...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Here's a link to an interesting method on bore polishing. I haven't tried it, but would rather have tried it or maybe some of Tubb's FinalFinish bullets before shooting 600 rounds downrange to deal with a rough bore. Comments below the method are probably worth reading too. It sounds like a safe method to polish a bore with no risk of throat erosion.

My Bore Polish Method to Shoot Better - by onondaga at castbulletassoc.org

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had a 7mm Rem Mag Stainless Classic featherweight that didn’t shoot worth a darn because the stock pushed against the barrel on one side. Had a ‘smith float and re-bed and it has shot great since. The magnum featherweights had a standard contour barrel in a featherweight stock. The problem could possibly be even worse in a thin featherweight contour barrel.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Plenty of good advice already given. I've had great luck on all six I have played with. Get back to the basics, swap out the scope, check mounts after checking the two action screws. You will eventually find the problem source. Don't forget to report back here.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
UPDATE - Spoke to Phil yesterday, after another 4+" group with 150 grain, he took 3 shots with 180 grain Federal Premium Trophy Copper that resulted in a 5/8" group. He was shocked. He didn't have time to shoot anymore, but he's now going to try some 165 grain ammo just to see what happens.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Sounds like your buddy found his load.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Can't help but wonder if changing the seating depth of the 150 gr load wouldn't help matters. Probably a moot point since this is factory ammo and your friend may not handload, but wouldn't assume that the 150 BT won't shoot well in that rifle just yet. Might be interesting to compare the throats of his Winchester Fwt and 760 pump.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Went from 4" groups down to 1", just by switching ammo. Damn what a picky biotch.. just sayin.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 18 invisible), 1,822 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,059
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.