Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm looking for some suggestions for training for a hunt: here are the details. I've went on 2 hunts with my son in the past several years in Alaska and we're working on plans for another. I'm 70 years old: 6'2" and 170 lbs. He's 6' 190 lbs. and in top physical condition, guides for bear, moose, and fish. Our last 2 hunts have been on Kodiak Island, for goats and bear. I've distance ran off and on over the years and do lots of hard physical work activity on a regular basis. I do OK with him until we get into tough climbs: going up rather steep climbs with lots of brush when I start sucking air. I don't get muscle soreness, just shortness of breath when we start tough climbs. I can walk at a fast pace mile after mile with no problem.

I live in northern Michigan and we just don't have the terrain that duplicates what we get into on our Alaskan hunts. So other than distance running, what suggestions would you have for some training, especially in not being able to duplicate the hunt conditions here at home. I'm beginning to experience some foot pain as a result of running so might have to rule out running.I realize that with our age difference its unreasonable for me to think I can stay up with him, but want to do better than I have. Thank you.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd suggest doing whatever you can that best mimics the climbs you'll be doing. It could be climbing bleachers at the nearest stadium, climbing local hills, or even the slopes on any levees, dams or the like that you can find. Or barring that, a stair machine at a gym.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
If I don't have hills around (even not very tall ones, but steep that I can go up and down), I find that stairs works better for me than running or a stair-master. Running doesn't make me lift my feet up or control my footfall down, and the stairmaster doesn't mimic the act of climbing for me. I try to vary the stairs I use so that I have a varying rise/travel over the workouts and I'm not always doing exactly the same step. I live at sea level and I always know that the early part of any trip to 8000+ ft I'll need some time to adjust so I take it slow and steady.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you are not a gym rat, I would suggest a trainer that knows what you are trying to accomplish. Then once you have done the best you can accept you have to go slower. Most times you just have to finish to win. 😉

Last edited by battue; 06/01/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm getting on in years and can't do the heavy duty stuff any more. A couple times a week I drive 12 miles to a road in the hills for a hike. 1 way is 2.5 miles with a 950' elevation gain. I can carry whatever weight I feel like that day. On other days, we're 4 miles from the county fairgrounds. The rodeo stadium is always open for stair climbers.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
thanks to all you've responded so-far. Good suggestions.

Dan

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd encourage you to look at the bike as a non-impact alternative to running. I tend to agree with some of the above posts that hiking hills and stairs are better options (more similar to what you are actually training for). I lack the attention span for stair steppers.

Alders add a nice touch of upper body to the climbing, and I've yet to meet anyone that really likes them... they are 10X worse with a loaded pack on the way down.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Buddy of mine tried this and raved about how well his climbing improved from it. I think it;s from the step ups and the tire dragging. I'm thinking about trying it.Free with minimal equipment, so might be worth a look.
Good luck with whatever you choose

http://exomountaingear.com/wp-content/uploads/Backcountry-Hunting-Training-Plan.pdf

https://exomountaingear.com/train/

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I will be 68 this year, doing another solo DIY elk hunt this year. Last fall, I felt a twinge in my right shoulder, went in, had 2 by passes, so now I am back on the horse. Doctors told me, I had one thing really going for me,,,, I am a swimmer, and they love the swimmers, works your body, and you can get your lungs in top shape, in one place, and that is in a pool doing " Up Downs"

Also even before I always carried a 911 card. Laminate it, and wear it around your neck. If you are unconscious, or non responsive, it will assist all medical personnel.
On the card put the following Name contact number blood type medications you take anything your allergic too etc

hope this helps

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
I've went on 2 hunts with my son in the past several years in Alaska and we're working on plans for another. I'm 70 years old: 6'2" and 170 lbs. He's 6' 190 lbs. and in top physical condition, guides for bear, moose, and fish. ....I do OK with him until we get into tough climbs: going up rather steep climbs with lots of brush when I start sucking air.

70 years old, hunting Kodiak, keeping up with your kid who guides for a living???

I want to be you when I grow up.

For steep climbs anaerobic is the only thing I've done to make a marked improvement. If your body is used to operating without air then it gets a lot better at operating without air.

Honestly I'd check with a doctor about it first though, skyrocketing heart rate, gasping for breath, etc. You're in great shape, don't want to do too much and regret it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
a couple of times a week “hill repeats”- I like to go back and forth between short steep hills multiple times (the downhill you’re just coasting) and a longer sustained hill. if you have no hills (almost everywhere has some hills), bleachers, stairs in taller buildings or the old fashion stair master ( not the stepper). add a little weight via a pack or vest as your body starts to adapt

other days work on developing your aerobic base- swimming, biking, running, hiking or all the above

your base is best developed with low to moderate exertion, build on time on your feet vs speed

feel free to participate in the fitness thread, nice to have other folks to lean on for motivation smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jedi_Swagger
Buddy of mine tried this and raved about how well his climbing improved from it. I think it;s from the step ups and the tire dragging. I'm thinking about trying it.Free with minimal equipment, so might be worth a look.
Good luck with whatever you choose

http://exomountaingear.com/wp-content/uploads/Backcountry-Hunting-Training-Plan.pdf

https://exomountaingear.com/train/

This looks really interesting. I've been looking at changing my program next month in anticipation of this fall's elk hunts. Thanks for posting!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
You're welcome BW.. Good luck to you this season

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruff, didn’t read all the replies, so, maybe this was mentioned already. Load a pack at home and start walking. Walk incline hills. Walk up and down stairs. Walk...Start with 20-25lbs and work your way up to 55-65lbs in your pack. Your body will become used to not only the extra weight, but the shifting of the weight. I’m sure you’ve had to pack meat out before. You are trying to imitate carrying a load that will not just work your leg muscle but also your balance under the stress of weight...Core! Shoulders, arms and lower back can all be improved through light weight training and stretching, as well...Last part. It’s okay to take a breather while hunting. Your son will appreciate the rest too. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like the bike instead of running these days.

I like stairs if mountains aren't available.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, Big1bud, 8 invisible), 1,436 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.